Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Owls - Strigiformes

Old 30-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Egg

Default Tawny owl re-home

I've already posted under my original thread but have started a new one because I really need some advice/help

During her broody season my female Tawny owl attacked me several times. It did subside but today just cleaning her bath she attacked me twice again. These are punch attacks with talons to the head. I was at least 15ft from her when this happened so it was deliberate and not because she felt threatened. Can anyone help please. I don't think I can keep her any longer but no sanctuary will take her because she isn't registered. I can't have her euthanised. Any suggestions? She is between 4-6 yrs old and was rescued at about 4 weeks. Some well wisher fed her cat food, made her ill and took her to the vets. She was rehired with a bird enthusiast who due to ill health could no longer keep her. I have been looking after her for the last 2 years in a 18'x10' aviary (half flight/half enclosed) She is not scared of me but not manned either and until the attacks I was happy to look after her for the rest of her life.

The only advice sanctuaries have given me is to increase her food. She currently has 2 DOC or 2 mice and 1 DOC a day. Any more she leaves.
Old 30-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned
Passage

Default Re: Tawny owl re-home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipopple View Post
I've already posted under my original thread but have started a new one because I really need some advice/help

During her broody season my female Tawny owl attacked me several times. It did subside but today just cleaning her bath she attacked me twice again. These are punch attacks with talons to the head. I was at least 15ft from her when this happened so it was deliberate and not because she felt threatened. Can anyone help please. I don't think I can keep her any longer but no sanctuary will take her because she isn't registered. I can't have her euthanised. Any suggestions? She is between 4-6 yrs old and was rescued at about 4 weeks. Some well wisher fed her cat food, made her ill and took her to the vets. She was rehired with a bird enthusiast who due to ill health could no longer keep her. I have been looking after her for the last 2 years in a 18'x10' aviary (half flight/half enclosed) She is not scared of me but not manned either and until the attacks I was happy to look after her for the rest of her life.

The only advice sanctuaries have given me is to increase her food. She currently has 2 DOC or 2 mice and 1 DOC a day. Any more she leaves.
Wearing a helmet would keep you safe.
It could possibly be down to food. If say two chicks she eats and leaves none then when you give her three she starts to leave it then it might be a case of giving her two one day and three the next. Now it’s getting colder she will need more anyway and her weight could be dropping slightly each day and she’s letting you know she’s hungry. Also the fact that she has been alright up to now suggests it could be her weight dropping due to the colder weather. Me personally I’d give her more food and throw away what she leaves. If you don’t go in every day and you’re worried about food being left around then only put more in once you see the previous lot has all gone. If you feed in the evening and there’s food still there the next night then only give her half or feed her the following morning.
If she still has a nest box then she might hide it in there so watch out for that.
I wouldn’t give up on her.
Atb
Tom
Old 30-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

This time of year mirrors spring in its photo period, she may be territorial again for a short while until the days shorten. I have been watching Buzzards displaying this last couple of weeks they too think it's spring again.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Wearing a helmet would keep you safe.
It could possibly be down to food. If say two chicks she eats and leaves none then when you give her three she starts to leave it then it might be a case of giving her two one day and three the next. Now it’s getting colder she will need more anyway and her weight could be dropping slightly each day and she’s letting you know she’s hungry. Also the fact that she has been alright up to now suggests it could be her weight dropping due to the colder weather. Me personally I’d give her more food and throw away what she leaves. If you don’t go in every day and you’re worried about food being left around then only put more in once you see the previous lot has all gone. If you feed in the evening and there’s food still there the next night then only give her half or feed her the following morning.
If she still has a nest box then she might hide it in there so watch out for that.
I wouldn’t give up on her.
Atb
Tom
Thanks Tom. I've increased food. As I've said before this is a rescue owl so she is tame enough not to be scared of us but that's about it. I took her on knowing that I would feed and care for her for maybe another 20 years and my "reward" is looking at her and having the garden filled with her and often 4 or more other tawney's calling at night. I didn't expect 2 years on to have to clean her aviary floor and bath wearing full armour She has for 2 years eaten the same amount of chicks/mice. Is it normal that would that change now? I'm only asking because I'm trying to understand why she has started to attack.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipopple View Post
Thanks Tom. I've increased food. As I've said before this is a rescue owl so she is tame enough not to be scared of us but that's about it. I took her on knowing that I would feed and care for her for maybe another 20 years and my "reward" is looking at her and having the garden filled with her and often 4 or more other tawney's calling at night. I didn't expect 2 years on to have to clean her aviary floor and bath wearing full armour She has for 2 years eaten the same amount of chicks/mice. Is it normal that would that change now? I'm only asking because I'm trying to understand why she has started to attack.
I have a bird which when at flying weight will get impatient after a while and clip me on the head as if to hurry me up and feed him. He doesn’t try to hurt as I don’t bleed but if you didn’t know it could be a bit scarey

Is there no way you can segregate her whilst cleaning her out? She may be wanting to breed if she is experiencing what Steve suggested
Is it possible to pathe the floor and hose it from outside to save you going in?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Egg

She doesn't just clip me it's a full both feet punch and all her talons go in deep causing quite big gashes. I'm feeding her from a chute at the moment and hosing the flight area down from outside but I will need to get into her shed area in a month or so to clean that out properly. I'll just have to wear protection I suppose but as this has happened a few times now I'd prefer to rehome her if I can.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned
Passage

Only thing I can suggest is insert a slot where you can slide in a piece of plywood to contain her once she has entered the box. Might be a bit of messing about but it’s an alternative.
Regards
Tom