Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Brancher

Default Imprint advice

Hi all,

Havent posted on here for yonks but looking for a bit of advice.

Having flown and imprinted shortwings for going on 15 years I have an issue witgh my current female that I have not personally come across before.
Bit of info

Female Goshawk
Currently 44 days old
weight at 35 days 2lb 9oz
Tweezer fed from 4 days old
Dish fed from 16 days old, now feeds via lure, ground and dish
kept in the living room upto 35 days old, taken everywhere, tesco in a shopping basket/trolley, front seat of car, kids school (you get the picture, full exposure)
The glove i'm trying to use to pick her up has been in the nest box from day 13 so nothing new to her.
No aggression whatsover even when feeding
Now being fed 3 times per day on only wood pigeon and or quail
Makes the normal little whine when i'm about

My issue is I cannot for the life of me coax this bird onto the glove and she wont perch on the bow. I have attempted half a dozen times with once being succesfull for about 10 seconds. I can tell it ****es her off and dont really want any negativity as the process up to now has been pretty much perfect.

She has been tethered now for 6 days. I dont have a major issue with her not perching on the bow as she is displaying normal behaviour by lying next to it on the ground. It is starting to get a problem moving her around as sher is weathered all day outside now but I would like to bring her into the house in the evenings and also weather her out on the front lawn.
It is becoming a bit off an issue bringing her in at night and taking her out in the mornings. She is currently habitating in our down stairs shower room at night but will be put into her pen in the next week or so. I have had to barricade her in the middle of the garden on a couple of occassions at night so not to **** her off by moving her in a way she doesnt want to be moved.

I have now removed the nest but having to use it as she will jump into to it so that i can move her from A to B but even that is now getting to the point that she wants to jump out of it when I pick it up.
Is this just a case of waiting it out or do I force the issue a little more. I have not experienced such stubborness with previous imprints however they have been males and a spar.
So I suppose what I am asking is has anyone else experienced this and what did you do/not do. Its just a matter of moving her from A to B now that she is tethered and because she wont stand on the bow or glove it is problematic.
My gut feeling is to leave her and just wait until she is on the bow and try from there. I am conscious that pushing her to step onto the glove may develop into a negative thing hence why I dont push it too much.
Any info or ideas would be appreciated.
(Imprint Goshawks, why do we do it)
Old 10-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Chick

Default Re: Imprint advice

Hi Broomy,

Don't know if any help or if tried already, but have you tried a different glove?

I know it sounds simple, but I had a female Goshawk I imprinted & she was excellent bird, the only issue is she took a dislike to a particular pair of shoes I had!

To this day I know not why, don't know if she had a bad experience when I was wearing them or what, but if I went near her or she saw the shoes she would attack them- full on. If I was wearing them or anyone else, you'd end up with a furious bird impaling your shins/ legs / feet.

Any other shoes - she was fine.

Or could put some food on it & see if that works?

ATB
Scott
Old 10-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Brancher

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried another glove at present as I use predominantly black gloves. She is not aggressive towards the glove she just comes across as ****ed off when I put pressure to the rear or front of the legs. She will put one foot on the glove but doesn't seem to be confident enough to put the other one on.
I have had gos's freak at other items of clothing etc. The glove has been in the nest box since day 13 so should have no fear towards it and I don't want to create fear by pushing the situation.
I want to avoid any form of food association on the glove until she is hunting confidently. I will have a try with another glove (maybe the most obvious)
I think it is just maybe confidence perchIng or attempting to perch on something new.
Appreciate the input
Old 10-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Passage

Hi

I am assuming that:

- you are still openly feeding her in the garden
- you do not wish to feed her on the glove
- you do not wish to feed her on the perch

In which case, I would suggest persevering with getting her on the glove and only every feeding her now by carriage on the glove to her rations. Regarding getting her on the perch the, whilst it is taking her longer than I've seen before, she will use it at some point.

I am assuming she stands strongly otherwise?

Reds
Mike
Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Hi Broomy, I would reduce or substitute the amount of woodpigeon you are feeding! she is likely in really high condition and in that state of mind most things will Pxss her off
Old 11-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c View Post
Hi

I am assuming that:

- you are still openly feeding her in the garden
- you do not wish to feed her on the glove
- you do not wish to feed her on the perch

In which case, I would suggest persevering with getting her on the glove and only every feeding her now by carriage on the glove to her rations. Regarding getting her on the perch the, whilst it is taking her longer than I've seen before, she will use it at some point.

I am assuming she stands strongly otherwise?

Reds
Mike
Stands perfectly, foot up preening. To be honest its not even a massive concern but I want to start getting some serious manning done around roads, fields and livestock etc.
She will be kept butter fat until september anyway so plenty of time as I feel its pointless in trying to enter an imprint with the cover so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Hi Broomy, I would reduce or substitute the amount of woodpigeon you are feeding! she is likely in really high condition and in that state of mind most things will Pxss her off
My plan was to begin reducing quality but keeping the quantity the same. I will do a few days feeding rabbit and skinned gutted chick and see how she goes with that.

Cheers
Old 14-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Brancher

Penny has dropped with the bow perch and not resenting glove so much now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1717.jpg (99.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 15-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Haggard

Your imprinting has been done, move her out of your house and into a pen, free loft her if you prefer she will love the freedom, bow her during the day or ring perch, at this stage they still have a fear of heights, when picking her up undo the leash, put your gloved hand in a 45degree angle under her rump and at the same time scoop her up with the palm of your free hand under her breast holding her up as high as you can with your glove, she will hold on for grim death for fear of falling, maintain her height until you have what you want then lower the altitude for carriage.
I have two imprint females here both are being pot fed, one is on a high ring during the day the other in a tub on the house roof and free ranging, they both go into the pen at night where a pot of food is waiting for them, one is carried on the fist who is older, the second in the tub who is ready to be thethered, when i bring them out in the morning their pots are waiting for them in the garden.

My youngest imprint was left on the house roof today while i went pigeon shooting, around 2pm i came home to check on her, she was in a tree on the lane that runs up the side of the house, i parked up and began to unload the pigeons, she was glad to see me flew out of the tree crashed onto the lawn and sprinted over, i had a pot of food prepared for her and walked up the yard to her pen placing the pot on the floor, she knew it was there and just walked back to her "room"
Tethering starts tomorrow with this one i will be using the tecnique above to have her on my fist, i think sometimes you have to be firm with the females but not aggressive, if you let them get into a bad habbit early on it is very hard to iron out afterwards.
Keith
Old 16-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Brancher

44 days way to young to expect her to stand out the glove.. Birds of prey fear heights when young and not ready to fledge. Your job is to eliminate fear from the start and not force her to do things the bird at that age is not ready for. The balance and glove will come. Should have used a basket or a small dog kennel when young if you want to transport her maybe not too late. Take your timeand allow her to develop naturally
Old 17-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Your imprinting has been done, move her out of your house and into a pen, free loft her if you prefer she will love the freedom, bow her during the day or ring perch, at this stage they still have a fear of heights, when picking her up undo the leash, put your gloved hand in a 45degree angle under her rump and at the same time scoop her up with the palm of your free hand under her breast holding her up as high as you can with your glove, she will hold on for grim death for fear of falling, maintain her height until you have what you want then lower the altitude for carriage.
I have two imprint females here both are being pot fed, one is on a high ring during the day the other in a tub on the house roof and free ranging, they both go into the pen at night where a pot of food is waiting for them, one is carried on the fist who is older, the second in the tub who is ready to be thethered, when i bring them out in the morning their pots are waiting for them in the garden.

My youngest imprint was left on the house roof today while i went pigeon shooting, around 2pm i came home to check on her, she was in a tree on the lane that runs up the side of the house, i parked up and began to unload the pigeons, she was glad to see me flew out of the tree crashed onto the lawn and sprinted over, i had a pot of food prepared for her and walked up the yard to her pen placing the pot on the floor, she knew it was there and just walked back to her "room"
Tethering starts tomorrow with this one i will be using the tecnique above to have her on my fist, i think sometimes you have to be firm with the females but not aggressive, if you let them get into a bad habbit early on it is very hard to iron out afterwards.
Keith
Appreciate the info Keith, all good now. It's just taken slightly longer than o have experienced before

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
44 days way to young to expect her to stand out the glove.. Birds of prey fear heights when young and not ready to fledge. Your job is to eliminate fear from the start and not force her to do things the bird at that age is not ready for. The balance and glove will come. Should have used a basket or a small dog kennel when young if you want to transport her maybe not too late. Take your timeand allow her to develop naturally
Appreciate the reply but please don't treat me like a novice/idiot. I have been flying birds for nigh on twenty years and the last 15 shortwings, I have also bred from both natural pairs and AI.
As much as any advice is appreciated your (44 days is too early) is wrong. No method is the right method. Ive had males on the glove at 35 days old and going from previous experience felt that she was taking longer than expected. But I am also very aware that every bird reacts differently even using the same methods.