Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Law, Exams, Land, Weather & Trapping

Old 18-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Chick

Default Re: Help wanted (Making a dream come true)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkMom View Post
Also, contact these folks: www.peregrinefund.org They have groups all over the world working to conserve birds of prey in their home countries. All it takes is a determined person, and that may be you.
I just sent the director an email with my plans and intension, thanks for the post
Old 18-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Egg

I have a copy of "Teatro para salvar al Gavilan" from the magazine "Empresa y Medio Ambiente" that I picked up in the Dominican Republic. I can scan it and send you a copy if you like...there is (or was as of 2 years ago) apparently a group doing public outreach associated with the Ornithological Society of Hispanola and the Peregrine Fund near Los Haitises PN.

I was there taking a course in Neotropical Ornithology from Cornell. I heard from someone there just this year that there is a Ridgway's reintroduction program going on right now. I would think that a rehab center or breeding center of some sort must already exist, but it may be very far from you and the region might benefit from another. All I saw by way of raptors were Merlins, Red Tails, Turkey Vultures and Ospreys...I was not fortunate enough to see the Ridgway's (which reminds me of a muted Red Shoulder from photos).
Old 18-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeakehawk View Post
I have a copy of "Teatro para salvar al Gavilan" from the magazine "Empresa y Medio Ambiente" that I picked up in the Dominican Republic. I can scan it and send you a copy if you like...there is (or was as of 2 years ago) apparently a group doing public outreach associated with the Ornithological Society of Hispanola and the Peregrine Fund near Los Haitises PN.

I was there taking a course in Neotropical Ornithology from Cornell. I heard from someone there just this year that there is a Ridgway's reintroduction program going on right now. I would think that a rehab center or breeding center of some sort must already exist, but it may be very far from you and the region might benefit from another. All I saw by way of raptors were Merlins, Red Tails, Turkey Vultures and Ospreys...I was not fortunate enough to see the Ridgway's (which reminds me of a muted Red Shoulder from photos).
I am familiar with the group that you are talking about, I was going to volunteer there but college doesn't allow me the time lol
Its more of an outpost that a rehab center, they have there equipment and very they, but the main focus is the Rigdeway's Hawk. It is also located 4-5 hours away from where I live,depending on traffic.
My goal is to provide help/shelter to all birds of prey around the Dominican Republic and to provide the service of capturing and relocating problematic birds of prey. That way I can ensure there safety and have the peace of mind that they wont be shot or injured.

Good news everyone, I got a reply from the director of the Peregrine Fund and he says that it is a good idea and that its is very much in need in the Dominican Republic
Old 18-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Brancher

Your first port of call should be the local environmental authorities. Approach them and ask what your options are for having raptors. That's what I did. They should give you information in writing.

Why rehab as opposed to falconry? A rhetorical question: probably in your country you may not be able to indulge in one without indulging in the other. Anyway, see the authorities. they'┤ll probably require a project from you and you may even require licences from them and your local council, too. I did.

The simplest (sic) part is getting first-class facilities built: just a question of reading the literature (Falcon Propagation is what I'd refer to) and having the money. Also the literature coming out of Pat Redig's Raptor Center if you do go into rehabilitation. The hardest part is navigating the bureaucracy: it can drive you to distraction, and will slow you down no matter what other resources you have to hand.

If you need any tips send me a private mail.

Last edited by John Beaumont; 18-03-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Expansion
Old 18-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaumont View Post
Your first port of call should be the local environmental authorities. Approach them and ask what your options are for having raptors. That's what I did. They should give you information in writing.

Why rehab as opposed to falconry? A rhetorical question: probably in your country you may not be able to indulge in one without indulging in the other. Anyway, see the authorities. they'┤ll probably require a project from you and you may even require licences from them and your local council, too. I did.

The simplest (sic) part is getting first-class facilities built: just a question of reading the literature (Falcon Propagation is what I'd refer to) and having the money. Also the literature coming out of Pat Redig's Raptor Center if you do go into rehabilitation. The hardest part is navigating the bureaucracy: it can drive you to distraction, and will slow you down no matter what other resources you have to hand.

If you need any tips send me a private mail.
I called today and they told ne that I would have to set up a project proposal packet that includes the dimensions on the mews, the area that it would be build etc.
If it is accepted then they will go and see it personally and if the like it they will aprove the project. As for permits and licenses, they said that I didn't need any, just the aproval of the project. I'm going to try to get this in writing just in case I get into trouble with the law later on.
Old 18-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Chick

By the way here's a blog I made back in 2009, I never finished it but I plan to one day lol

Http://worldraptors.blogspot.com/
Old 18-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn679 View Post
Hello everyone, I would like to know the process and work involved in starting/creating a Raptor Rehab Center. As I stated in another thread, Birds of Prey here in the Dominican Republic are considered "pest" because they eat the locals poultry. So many raptors are shot and injured just for a chicken or two. I'm currently studying become a Vet here in the Dominican Republic and I would like to specialize in Birds of Prey one day. My grandfather has quite a bit of land and he has agreed to give me some if I can get this project going.

Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day.
Danny....you could try Googling 'Andy Meads at Safewings'
He knows a thing or two about this sort of stuff
Old 20-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Bevan View Post
Danny....you could try Googling 'Andy Meads at Safewings'
He knows a thing or two about this sort of stuff
Thank you for the information Colin, I will try to contact him.

Here's a picture of the land: