Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > Scotland

Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Haggard

Default Scottish Natural Heritage publish details of General Licence restriction orders in wi

http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/2015/11...ts/#more-19423

It will be interesting if natural england follow suit on some of the english estates.
Keith
Old 05-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Passage

Default Re: Scottish Natural Heritage publish details of General Licence restriction orders i

That might wake them up a bit. I think something needs to be done that effects the land owner, this could be the answer. Atb chris
Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Egg

Default Re: Scottish Natural Heritage publish details of General Licence restriction orders i

Genuine question here, why will stopping legal control of birds deemed as pest species stop wildlife crime ?

Regards
Coneycatcher
Old 06-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneycatcher View Post
Genuine question here, why will stopping legal control of birds deemed as pest species stop wildlife crime ?

Regards
Coneycatcher
See post #2
Keith
Old 06-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Brancher

Seems to be more of a PR exercise than an effective way to protect bop. It is already illegal to kill bop, if they have evidence they should prosecute to the full extent of the law. As for "targeted falconry", how does that get dragged into this, do they seriously believe falconry is being used to control raptors. I my opinion, this will not protect a single wild raptor.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Passage

Just to clarify I come from a gamekeeping background so have a reasonable knowledge of how these things work. The way I see it is if the RS PB keep finding dead hen Harriers and the like the finger is normally pointed at the gamekeeping fraternity. Rightly or wrongly the finger is pointing at them because why would anyone other than people involved in game rearing and shooting want a hen Harrier dead. The landowners normally wash their hands of the whole affair, Leaving the gamekeeper to suffer the consequences on their own. By imposing a ban on legal pest control activities it inconveniences the landowner and hopefully sends them a message That if birds of prey I found dead on their property they are someway connected to it. I suppose these days you need a watertight case before the Crown Prosecution Service is willing to press charges, finding a dead bird is not enough. Not saying I agree of it necessarily but I do believe that landowners should be accountable for what happens on the ground. Atb Chris
Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Brancher

If there was/is real evidence the W&C Act makes provision for financial and custodial punishment. Arguably six months and ú5k is not enough, despite the fact it is rarely implemented. The problem is evidence. Why not approach the problem from the other direction encouraging the benefits of having raptors on your land. A stewardship scheme could be devised where, by provision of evidence and agreed access a Landowner can obtain grants and benefits set against successful establishment of appropriate populations of these rare birds. Once a landowner sees advantages, keepers will follow.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
If there was/is real evidence the W&C Act makes provision for financial and custodial punishment. Arguably six months and ú5k is not enough, despite the fact it is rarely implemented. The problem is evidence. Why not approach the problem from the other direction encouraging the benefits of having raptors on your land. A stewardship scheme could be devised where, by provision of evidence and agreed access a Landowner can obtain grants and benefits set against successful establishment of appropriate populations of these rare birds. Once a landowner sees advantages, keepers will follow.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Atb Chris
Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
Why not approach the problem from the other direction encouraging the benefits of having raptors on your land. A stewardship scheme could be devised where, by provision of evidence and agreed access a Landowner can obtain grants and benefits set against successful establishment of appropriate populations of these rare birds. Once a landowner sees advantages, keepers will follow.
Because the "conservation bodies" position is that they will not reward landowners for not breaking the law.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Brancher

The unfortunate consequence of this prohibition is that, not only are the target species (Hen Harriers) exposed to higher levels of predation,from corvids and gulls, but so are all the other species which benefit from control carried out by the keepers.

This myopic meddling will result in far more damage to biodiversity than just the loss of Hen Harriers I fear. The conflict oriented approach employed by some NGO's, that produces political knee jerk reactios such as this, the first seems more closely associated with charitable revenue than solving the problem. There is a better way.......