Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Passage Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
In an ideal world it would be great Tony....but it's not exactly ideal is it?

I'm sure that those who are pushing forward with this are fully aware of the risks and I wish them every success, they'll perhaps need it!!!

Having said that...the Irish situation hasn't caused any problems...or has it? I genuinely don't know.

Regards, Michael.
It's not I'm afraid, and never was nor will be.

About 30 years on from the last peregrine licenses, and I still hear grumbles about cliques and old boy networks.
Thank heavens there was no internet back then.

It's not impossible for it to work, as can be seen elsewhere, but I'm inclined to think it's a better prospect when the starting point is a relatively small and harmonious falconry community, which we no longer have.

Like you, I argued in the past in favour of wildtake, and, were things more united and harmonious I'd continue to do so. But frankly, looking into my crystal ball, I see little benefit for UK falconry as a whole, unless some of the potential pitfalls can be addressed in advance.

Here's hoping,

Tony.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Scott
Passage

Quote:
A very excellent post Eddie! A passage falcon would be a dream for many falconers....but hopefully not at a cost to the rest?
I used to shout as loud as anyone else for a wild take (very publicly at least once!) but although my views on the biological/environmental impact being absolutely NIL have never changed, it's the public perception of us as falconers that now has me worried....just as it worried those who told me of their 'no wild take' views when I was a lad!....very prominent falconers they were...still are.
Who really knows how it will turn out and if there will be any longer term fallout? Is it worth risking? Not by me it isn't.
In the past, these same sentiments were expressed in the US before the passage peregrine take. We were able to succeed despite the fear of damaging falconry. It's worth trying, IMO. Obviously a permit drawing procedure will be used. Different States have different methods. Some a re better than others, so be ready to suggest something you think is best, if you ever get the chance to take passage peregrines, etc.

Also I'd say that one way of seeing the difference between an eyass and passage peregrine is not to look at the falcon, rather observe the reaction of the quarry. Duck and other game's fear level is significantly higher in the presence of a passage peregrine - seems

-- Scott
Old 11-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird_Dog View Post
In the past, these same sentiments were expressed in the US before the passage peregrine take. We were able to succeed despite the fear of damaging falconry. It's worth trying, IMO. Obviously a permit drawing procedure will be used. Different States have different methods. Some a re better than others, so be ready to suggest something you think is best, if you ever get the chance to take passage peregrines, etc.

Also I'd say that one way of seeing the difference between an eyass and passage peregrine is not to look at the falcon, rather observe the reaction of the quarry. Duck and other game's fear level is significantly higher in the presence of a passage peregrine - seems

-- Scott
That is a really cool observation, The passage is always on the hunt. They know what a hungry night feels like. However, young captive raised peregrines , raised with the 4 week window approach have the same effect on birds. They mean to kill and the prey reacts in a more normal way to the predator.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooper View Post
They know what a hungry night feels like.

That's uncanny that you mentioned that now!(for my purposes anyway)

I've been working with a (captive raised) tiercel that just seems to be plain lazy although there are some extenuating circumstances. Always wants to sit for a while before getting on with the job and tweaks with his weight hasn't seemed to make any difference. Once he does go he can really fly but this landing will one day kill him I fear (power poles etc).
So, last evening he sat for nearly 5 minutes so I jumped in the car and went home! He had good transmitters and a calm windless night was on the cards, and we don't have great horned owls thank goodness!

First light this morning I put the quad copter up to 700ft and he nearly beat it up there! One way or another it'll go my way.

Michael.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
That's uncanny that you mentioned that now!(for my purposes anyway)

I've been working with a (captive raised) tiercel that just seems to be plain lazy although there are some extenuating circumstances. Always wants to sit for a while before getting on with the job and tweaks with his weight hasn't seemed to make any difference. Once he does go he can really fly but this landing will one day kill him I fear (power poles etc).
So, last evening he sat for nearly 5 minutes so I jumped in the car and went home! He had good transmitters and a calm windless night was on the cards, and we don't have great horned owls thank goodness!

First light this morning I put the quad copter up to 700ft and he nearly beat it up there! One way or another it'll go my way.

Michael.
How did it go with this bird Mike, was he successfully released.