Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Surrey

Old 28-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Egg

Default A good first owl

Hi all, I live in the middlesex area, have been doing hands on expierience with my friend who's brilliant and has really helped me a lot. I am looking into an owl for my first bird, I know everyone's enitial reaction is "get a harris" however I'm really interested in owls and find them more interesting altogether, I looked after my friends eagle owl and it was just fantastic, I am having issues making decisions though, I'm stuck between a barn owl or a Bengal eagle owl, I would love a barn owl because....well it's obvious really, there very attractive and small and I just love them, and I would like a Bengal eagle owl due to the same reason really, however (I know it's very difficult and not done often) but I would like to give hunting a go with the Bengal eagle owl, I would obviously be getting a hand reared bird and I would be going for a male, can anyone help me out please, thankyou
Old 28-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Haggard

Default Re: A good first owl

African Spotted would be probably your best choice. Bengals are great birds but get a little bad tempered after a few years and females can be a lot worse especially if you don't know what you are doing. forget the Barn Owl as weight management is going to be difficult for a beginner.

African Spotted are a lot more amicable and a similar in size to a male Bengal.
Old 28-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Graeme Neilson
Passage

I take it you will be wanting to fly it?

The thing is with an owl is you are kind of limited as to how you fly them. Perch to glove. If you get 1 of the eagle owls it could live 20yrs +. That's a long time to be flying it perch to glove. You could try and train for your owl to follow on but a Harris is way better at it and more fun.

As to what owl. I agree with Saker Clive. Barn Owl not really suitable for a beginner due to weight issues. Something bigger would be better African Spotted. More robust and could take any mistakes up to point. I wouldn't looka European/Turkmanian. Yes they are bigger, very impressive and tougher but some can be a bit of a handful.
Old 28-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Hamish
Passage

The problem with owls is they are impressive and interesting for a bit but eventually the novelty wares off. Don't get me wrong but I really doubt that you will find hunting with an owl easy of fun enough to peruse it.

Most likely you'll be left with a bird that you will only fly from a perch to your fist or visa versa. To be able to do this you will have to weigh the bird daily and ration it's food daily so it will fly. Eventually the lack of variation coupled with the daily weighing and food management will bore you and the bird will probably end up in an aviary for most of its life.

Compare to that, say, Harris hawks. Highly intelligent birds that are great hunters and will keep on amazing you with their constantly evolving technique. After the novelty of owning a hawk wares off there is still a huge amount of fun, adventure, hunting and learning that can be had with a Harris.

If you want a bird that will happily sit in an aviary, you can show you friends and maybe occasionally fly, get a owl. If you want a hunting partner and a close relationship with a truly remarkable bird that will not cease to amaze, get a Harris or a Redtail.

Hamish
Old 29-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Hi,
I agree with both Saker-Clive and Graeme I have Bengal, Barn Owl and African Spotted, out of all of the the spotted is by far the best, she is 15 now and has never let me down, never gets bad tempered when fat, and will fly to anyone, or under any situation, what more can you ask, (but that is my bird) not all owls are the same. Little picture of her.
Blue.jpg
Old 31-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Obviously you have never trained one, and if you have and this is you opinion, then you haven't done it very well !!!
Old 31-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Haggard

Angie, simply don't rise to it.............this is the IFF and what is expected these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry View Post
Obviously you have never trained one, and if you have and this is you opinion, then you haven't done it very well !!!
Old 31-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Saker - Clive, Yep you are more than lightly right, but what a horrible thing to say, especially that there are lots of owl folk on here.
Old 31-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Paul
Brancher

I have a 3 year old bengal for sale,if you are intersested.Has been used as a display bird.
Good temperament and in fat condition at the moment and i dont live far from you.
Your welcome to come and see it if you are interested.
Paul.
Old 31-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Harrishawker123 = I know Paul's bird, possibly a good offer and I think Paul will be only to pleases to give you a hand, and take you under his wing !!!