Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 27-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Every earth we have ferreted this week has been empty, we are seeing very few rabbits no matter where we go. Today was the same with high winds and rain we tried to find wooded areas in the hope of some protection from it but at times the wind was ripping through and he was really struggling against it.
We came across the first rabbit just as we entered the wood, I had let him go after a squirrel and he was in a tree waiting for it to show again, as I approached him there is a large pile of old conifer branches that have been dumped, I gave it a good stamp around and bolted a rabbit which went straight up the very steep hill, it had a good 30+m head start but Archie was hard after it. They were both tiring fast and just as he got within striking distance the rabbit made the brow of the hill and safety.
We then worked through earth after earth but found nothing, we eventually found a cock bird but a hole under the rabbit fencing saved it and it was away. The next rabbit was spotted under some heavy bramble, he hit hard but could not get through and it was away before he could get back out. Next up was a wood cock, I had not seen it and was calling him to the glove when he went straight past me narrowly missing as it zoomed out of the cover, he did go after it initially but then settled in a tree near to where he first tried for it. I could not get him to recall he had clearly spotted something so I circled round to try to flush whatever it was towards him. as I neared he went straight past me through the trees, I lost sight of him and then he pitched up suddenly into a high tree over some old dumped cars, I was following for the re-flush, the rabbits have used these cars a number of times to get away they don't normally come out but this one made that mistake, he suddenly dropped out of the tree into a sheep field, all the crows were screaming. I jumped the fence and out in the middle he was down wings out, crest up both feet on the head of decent sized bunny (3 1/2 lb gutted) gave him a good feed and headed for the car just before the rain started again.
The chase started some 50+m in the woods and ended up out in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180127A.jpg (95.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20180127B.jpg (96.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 27-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Passage

Well done on the bunny.
Old 28-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

A few fast bunnies out today, the ferrets did well in bolting a few and we had some good hard chases with it only being the fences and trees allowing them to get to safety.
This bunny initially out ran him along a hedgerow, it bolted straight across a ditch and through a fence before speeding off down the far side. Archie was hard after it negotiating several fences, he finally pitched up into the trees about 100m from the earth. I had stopped to box the ferret so was a little slow following up and as I went along he came back towards me but again stopped in the trees. I offered the glove but he ignored it and that's when I spotted the rabbit coming back towards me under the hedge, my presence forced it to turn and as it went back under the fence Archie was coming in fast head on for a big hit, there was a bit of a struggle until he transferred a foot to the head. Let him have a good reward and called it a day, so of the best chases we have had in a while.
Will not be back out till the end of the week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180128B.jpg (97.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20180128A.jpg (100.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 29-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Well done Mick, persistence pays. Steve.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Best few days of flying over ferreted rabbits we have for a few seasons. We did not find large numbers but they all ran well and Archie was unlucky, getting dragged down a hole and losing another as they came tumbling down a hill together. One chase was well over a 100m and just when he was about to put in it disappeared down a hole leaving standing at the entrance looking in.
All the time this was going on it was raining steadily and every contact was making him wetter, he was recalling nicely after each attempt and I'm sure he could hear the rumbling below ground and was waiting patiently with me until the ferrets finely forced them out. Really enjoyable days, would have been good for him if he had managed to hold onto one but it did not seem to bring out to much frustration or aggression.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Time to end season 10, another week of very little quarry present anywhere and today I actually found nets left over an earth so not too surprised when they were empty.
Extremely high winds were making flying difficult for him, a couple of flights saw him swept in a wide circle as he battled back after the runners, this gave then enough advantage to make safety.
Ferrets worked hard in the thick cover under hedgerows and amongst the trees but those that did bolt had plenty of cover and I could not get a clear slip at any of them.
At one earth we had a rabbit 3/4's out of a hole with a ferret trying to drag it back in, managed to keep Archie back and pull the rabbit up minus the ferret. I dropped it in the field and left it to scurry off into an earth and took Archie back to the original earth after a few minutes we had a runner but again straight under the hedgerow as soon as he gained on it.
Decided to try one last tree line and had the same problems with anything coming out easily away as the trees prevented any clean slip. Tried a different strategy of taking him far away from the earth in the hope that anything bolting would be well in the open before it spotted us, it worked very quickly with the next rabbit running slowly out into the field, it was going across to the next hedgerow some 40m in front of us, Archie was away and it clearly did not see him coming, it didn't change direction or speed and he easily rolled it over with a clean head take.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180211B.jpg (100.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180211ED.jpg (76.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180211C.jpg (71.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180211D.jpg (75.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Mark Hilary
Brancher

Thanks for keeping thread going Mick enjoy reading about your days out hope Rabbits breed up for you next season
Old 12-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Well done Mick, I look forward to hearing about your 11th season together. Steve.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gods County Hawker View Post
Thanks for keeping thread going Mick enjoy reading about your days out hope Rabbits breed up for you next season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Well done Mick, I look forward to hearing about your 11th season together. Steve.
Thanks Mark & Steve. Season seems to have been over really quickly this year but once again have really enjoyed it, it was nice to be able to work him over the ferrets on a regular basis its been a few seasons since that was possible. So hopefully numbers will continue to increase, I did not see a single mixy rabbit which is the first time that's happened.
I managed to get a new permission on the last day of the season as well, not many rabbits but plenty of other stuff to have a go at.