Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 13-10-2017, 08:41 AM
NightShadow's Avatar
NightShadow NightShadow is offline
John
Passage
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma23426 View Post
what is it's age?
He's 5years old ,did not fly him last year due to moving house ,ATB
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Hawkies Not Talkies Hawkies Not Talkies is offline
Doug Tricker
Passage
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 2,047
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

The problem with this cross is that they are no better than a straight Redtail and not as versatile as a straight Harris. Also with rabbit hawking being almost a memory in many parts of the country there is little scope for sport with this hawk except perhaps at squirrels.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-10-2017, 03:16 PM
NightShadow's Avatar
NightShadow NightShadow is offline
John
Passage
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies Not Talkies View Post
The problem with this cross is that they are no better than a straight Redtail and not as versatile as a straight Harris. Also with rabbit hawking being almost a memory in many parts of the country there is little scope for sport with this hawk except perhaps at squirrels.
So wrong ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Hawkies Not Talkies Hawkies Not Talkies is offline
Doug Tricker
Passage
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 2,047
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
So wrong ?
I don't think so, I have experience of this cross, the New Forest Owl sanctuary were breeding these years ago and members of the New Forest club flew them at the regular field meets. This is another of those totally pointless crosses like prairie falcon x kestrel or Gyr x Lanners. Give me a straight Red or Harris any day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13-10-2017, 03:49 PM
NightShadow's Avatar
NightShadow NightShadow is offline
John
Passage
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies Not Talkies View Post
I don't think so, I have experience of this cross, the New Forest Owl sanctuary were breeding these years ago and members of the New Forest club flew them at the regular field meets. This is another of those totally pointless crosses like prairie falcon x kestrel or Gyr x Lanners. Give me a straight Red or Harris any day.
Your entitled to your opinion, but still say your wrong ATB
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Ingo's Avatar
Ingo Ingo is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tervuren
Posts: 279
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Your entitled to your opinion, but still say your wrong ATB
Hi John

Can you give your perspective of this hybrid, to counter what doug said?
I'm not trying to stoke an argument, just genuinely interested
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-10-2017, 12:00 PM
NightShadow's Avatar
NightShadow NightShadow is offline
John
Passage
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Hi John

Can you give your perspective of this hybrid, to counter what doug said?
I'm not trying to stoke an argument, just genuinely interested
Sorry NO, the man had said he had experience flying my type of Hybrid , and it was not very good ? fine that does not give him the right to come on here and criticise my bird which he has never seen or flown ,also other Hybrid, yet he fly a hybrid himself ?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15-10-2017, 07:08 AM
John155 John155 is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: eastleigh
Posts: 344
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Sorry NO, the man had said he had experience flying my type of Hybrid , and it was not very good ? fine that does not give him the right to come on here and criticise my bird which he has never seen or flown ,also other Hybrid, yet he fly a hybrid himself ?
Hi John

You do have a nice looking bird there.

I too am/was genuinely interested in hearing more about this cross as I have often wondered if to try breed from Izzy and fly an offspring and should / would it be worth trying with a male red.

I thought Doug's comments interesting and fair based on what he has personally seen,
Although I would very much hear the other side without it becoming an argument / full out war !

ATB
John155
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Ingo's Avatar
Ingo Ingo is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tervuren
Posts: 279
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Sorry NO, the man had said he had experience flying my type of Hybrid , and it was not very good ? fine that does not give him the right to come on here and criticise my bird which he has never seen or flown ,also other Hybrid, yet he fly a hybrid himself ?
Fair enough mate........I was just interested in your experience, compared to a Harris etc.....I didn't intend to cause any argument
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15-10-2017, 08:50 AM
NightShadow's Avatar
NightShadow NightShadow is offline
John
Passage
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Redtail x Harris Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Fair enough mate........I was just interested in your experience, compared to a Harris etc.....I didn't intend to cause any argument
Sorry about all this, and your interest, but this thread was only to sale my male, But what I may do is once I start to fly my female Red x Harris maybe I will start a thread then,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
harris, hawk, redtail

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.