Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > USEFUL LINKS > Bird of Prey Webcams & Video Clips

Old 25-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Golden eagle as a garden ornoment

If you can find a copy of the 2007 'Falconry in the United Kingdom/An audit of the current position' (Hawk Board Publications) it states the following:

: 25,000 people keep birds of prey in the UK

: 5,000 falconers hunt with birds of prey in the UK

Out of 25,000 only 5,000 practised falconry...so what were all the others doing?

That was ten years ago and the sense of entitlement to have want you want and do as you please has grown, not lessened. So I suspect the ranks of petkeepers has increased but can't find any figures to prove it.

This man happens to have an eagle so it seems particularly tragic but, if those statistics are the truth of things, then there are thousand upon thousand of birds of prey whose lives in captivity would make that eagle look lucky. All of it under the umbrella of 'falconry'. All of the petkeepers have their 'pet' because a breeder sold it to them. But I don't know this man and have no idea whether he hunts this eagle or not.
Old 25-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
If you can find a copy of the 2007 'Falconry in the United Kingdom/An audit of the current position' (Hawk Board Publications) it states the following:

: 25,000 people keep birds of prey in the UK

: 5,000 falconers hunt with birds of prey in the UK

Out of 25,000 only 5,000 practised falconry...so what were all the others doing?

That was ten years ago and the sense of entitlement to have want you want and do as you please has grown, not lessened. So I suspect the ranks of petkeepers has increased but can't find any figures to prove it.

This man happens to have an eagle so it seems particularly tragic but, if those statistics are the truth of things, then there are thousand upon thousand of birds of prey whose lives in captivity would make that eagle look lucky. All of it under the umbrella of 'falconry'. All of the petkeepers have their 'pet' because a breeder sold it to them. But I don't know this man and have no idea whether he hunts this eagle or not.
Hi Rene,

Interesting statistics, I didn't realise the gap was so large between Raptor keepers and practicing Falconers. I have a question for you, do you disagree with those that keep Birds of Prey without hunting them but keep them in good conditions/good welfare? I know it is the opinion of quite a few that they shouldn't just be kept as pets, they're a hunting animal and should therefore be allowed to hunt. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this. In my own opinion, I have no problem with Birds of Prey being kept in captivity without being hunted as long as the standards of welfare and care are good and the bird is allowed to thrive and exercise/fly. I would prefer myself to hunt with a species that could be hunted with such as a Harris or Red-Tail, but have no problem with those who keep Owls in the conditions I described above.

I often find it confusing as to where Falconry has gone in the modern day and what it should be perceived as.

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 25-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Hi Rene,

I have a question for you, do you disagree with those that keep Birds of Prey without hunting them but keep them in good conditions/good welfare?

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Yes Bradley, I disagree with a passion.
Old 25-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Brancher

This guy keeps birds of pray one reason ego look at me regards tel
Old 25-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
Yes Bradley, I disagree with a passion.
Is there any particular reason for that? Is it a case that they are a hunting animal? Is it something to do with the people that keep birds in that way?
Old 25-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Is there any particular reason for that? Is it a case that they are a hunting animal? Is it something to do with the people that keep birds in that way?

The need to possess is not a particularly attractive human quality. Something is considered interesting or beautiful and the immediate response is 'I want it'. Of what use is it to a barn owl, for instance, to be 'wanted' and watched sitting for its whole life in an aviary in the garden? I can't think of a single thing that justifies it.