Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Yorkshire

Old 13-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Craig
Passage

Default Volunteer / Falconer Positition Available Yorkshire

We have got to the stage where we are able to take on a willing volunteer / helper / newbie / falconer for helping us manage our team.

This is the way i learned many years ago. At the time i had my own bird but by helping out another falconer, i got the chance to handle and fly a wide variety of birds i had never got close to before. I learned about everything from telemetry to coping all first hand together with massive confidence boosting by taking guests on experience days and taking part in events and displays.

I feel we are now at a stage where we can offer this same experience to the right person in our area. We are based near Helmsley next to the north yorks national park.

Please email us direct on .. craig@theyorkshirefalconryschool.co.uk if you feel the position would suit you along with a bit about yourself and your experience.

This is not a free falconry course and the handling is off set by hard work, we deal with a variety of birds including eagles together with working dogs so any new comer would become well rounded in all aspects

Look forward to your replys

Craig

The Yorkshire Falconry School
Old 13-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Passage

Default Re: Volunteer / Falconer Positition Available Yorkshire

whats your website address?

John

Old 13-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Craig
Passage

john, its www.yorkshirefalconryschool.co.uk but we are currently re writing the site adding various features such as an online booking calender and payment system etc .. all makes life easier !
Old 17-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Craig
Passage

sorry just noticed the incorrect email .. its craig@yorkshirefalconryschool.co.uk

Regards
Old 15-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Amy Lawrance
Brancher

I'm available Craig if you want me. You already know my experience and I know how to handle the fat lad
Old 16-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Doug Tricker
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addi View Post
We have got to the stage where we are able to take on a willing volunteer / helper / newbie / falconer for helping us manage our team.

This is the way i learned many years ago. At the time i had my own bird but by helping out another falconer, i got the chance to handle and fly a wide variety of birds i had never got close to before. I learned about everything from telemetry to coping all first hand together with massive confidence boosting by taking guests on experience days and taking part in events and displays.

I feel we are now at a stage where we can offer this same experience to the right person in our area. We are based near Helmsley next to the north yorks national park.

Please email us direct on .. craig@theyorkshirefalconryschool.co.uk if you feel the position would suit you along with a bit about yourself and your experience.

This is not a free falconry course and the handling is off set by hard work, we deal with a variety of birds including eagles together with working dogs so any new comer would become well rounded in all aspects

Look forward to your replys

Craig

The Yorkshire Falconry School
Recently someone posted on here about an advert in which someone was asking for a free hawk, and the poster suggested the person buy one like everyone else. This comment was fair and reasonable but I cant help thinking that the above advert is in a similar vein.
If a falconry or bird of prey center feels the need to engage more staff, whether experienced or apprentices, shouldn't they employ them in the normal way and pay them appropriately?
After all, an apprentice electrician or carpenter or plumber gains hands on experience and eventually becomes competent, but still gets paid, albeit, not much.
We wouldn't have too many tradesmen if they all had to work for nothing in order to learn their trade.
Am I alone in thinking this way?
Old 16-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Braden Tennant
Passage

When I worked in centres I didn't have volunteers. They arent paid and so care less about what they are doing etc. It is also just cashing in on the novelty of it. That said extremely good consistant volunteers are better then paid staff because they have no incentive apart from enjoyment and still turn up, paid staff turn up for the dollar
Old 16-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHawk View Post
When I worked in centres I didn't have volunteers. They arent paid and so care less about what they are doing etc. It is also just cashing in on the novelty of it. That said extremely good consistant volunteers are better then paid staff because they have no incentive apart from enjoyment and still turn up, paid staff turn up for the dollar
No disrespect Brian but that is a completely contradictory statement.
Old 16-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Braden Tennant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
No disrespect Brian but that is a completely contradictory statement.
Yeah I realise that, I did as I wrote it but I've been up 28 hours. I'll rewrite it tomorrow
Old 17-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Paul
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies Not Talkies View Post
Recently someone posted on here about an advert in which someone was asking for a free hawk, and the poster suggested the person buy one like everyone else. This comment was fair and reasonable but I cant help thinking that the above advert is in a similar vein.
If a falconry or bird of prey center feels the need to engage more staff, whether experienced or apprentices, shouldn't they employ them in the normal way and pay them appropriately?
After all, an apprentice electrician or carpenter or plumber gains hands on experience and eventually becomes competent, but still gets paid, albeit, not much.
We wouldn't have too many tradesmen if they all had to work for nothing in order to learn their trade.
Am I alone in thinking this way?
Agreed, and no your not,even a dog deserves a bone,if you can afford that ammount of stock,you can afford staff,jmo