Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Yorkshire

Old 27-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Brancher

Default Advice/information/experience - possible mentors!

Hello, for those who don't know me, my name is Josh.

I am aspiring to be a falconer and have been since I was a young lad. However I have been looking into the sport of falconry a lot more recently as I have got older. I have been reading through the forum as a guest for a long time, but only recently created an account so I could ask questions and get involved where I can!

My other research methods include visiting local BOP centred, been on a couple of 'hawk walks' and a bit of experience flying different birds. I have also read various articles including the IFF starter pack (which is a brilliant read!) and several of Martin Hollinshead's articles. I have also read 'Falconry and Hawking' by Phillip Glasier', and 'The complete rabbit and hare hawk' by Martin Hollinshead. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both books and struggled to put them down - to the girlfriends disgust!

I have thought long and hard about becoming a falconer, and asked myself several questions to see if I personally think I can handle the lifestyle of the falconer; I would now like to pass the job of asking the questions to an experienced falconer to see if they think I am suitable.

I would like a Harris Hawk, I originally thought a male - however after research and asking questions, I am now considering a female; but not yet sure, which is why I would like help to make the decision of which bird!

I have access to hunting land, as one side of my house is woodland, the back is open countryside and disused airfield, across the road is a disused quarry, and on the other side is a farmers stubble field which I know the farmer that owns it. My cousin also owns 2 quarries no more that 20 minutes down the road from where I live which he is happy for me to hunt.

I am looking for any advice or information I can get, even if it's just a phone call one evening to hands on experience as a tag along when another falconer is out hunting. I live in Pollington (near snaith - near Goole/Selby) but don't mind travelling - I am serious about becoming a falconer.

I am not looking at getting a bird of my own any time soon, not until I feel I can look after the bird as it should be looked after. Therefore another year or two at least!

Any help or information is appreciated, so please get in touch if you think you can help!

Thanks in advance, Josh
Old 28-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Dave Windras
Passage

Default Re: Advice/information/experience - possible mentors!

Hi josh seams like you have made a good start to what is a long road ,but a worth while one ,for those that take it on ,what is it you want out of falconry ,love of the country side /seeing the birds fly the thrill of the hunt ,the parnership betwen you and bird all of these are good reasons but then you have days when you get soaked to the skin, freezing cold standing around, digging out ferrets being able to do all this laugh and do it alll the next day. for me its not just seeing the bird as a tool but a partner in hunting and though she may not love me I do love her, and have had her 9years in all this time she has had me pull my hair out fall over laughing and given me a grate time if you are ready for this go for it /dave
Old 28-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
hi josh seams like you have made a good start to what is a long road ,but a worth while one ,for those that take it on ,what is it you want out of falconry ,love of the country side /seeing the birds fly the thrill of the hunt ,the parnership betwen you and bird all of these are good reasons but then you have days when you get soaked to the skin, freezing cold standing around, digging out ferrets being able to do all this laugh and do it alll the next day. for me its not just seeing the bird as a tool but a partner in hunting and though she may not love me I do love her, and have had her 9years in all this time she has had me pull my hair out fall over laughing and given me a grate time if you are ready for this go for it /dave
Hi Dave,

First of all thankyou for taking the time to reply to my post in the first place!
As for your question of what would I like out of falconry; you pretty much answered the question for me, just reading your examples got my adrenaline flowing! I have spent a lot of my life in the country side, be it walking/hiking, on a push bike, through a car window or on horse back. I don't care much for city/town life! From the little bit of experience I have had of flying birds of prey, I have loved every minute of it; even just short flights from trees/perches! It fascinates me how the birds perform and their capabilities! And the partnership - I adore companionship between human and animal. I used to have two ex-race horses which I trained to become safe horses (for an experienced rider). Both those horses I could whistle to from across the field and they would come trotting over and through the gate. This gave me a lot of satisfaction. Now with a similar response from a BOP who I was out hunting with would just emphasise the satisfaction even more!

I am pretty hard skinned when it comes to the out doors, and the idea of being out in the cold and rain doesn't put me off at all! All form of out door activities/sports have ups and downs, be it digging a ferret out; the next time it's down the hole it may make a rabbit bolt!

I have an air rifle and a shotgun - these are hunting 'tools'. A BOP is definitely a hunting partner! I would love the opportunity to see a cast of Harris Hawks, to make the partnership between human and animal even bigger.

Can I also add on another note; hats off to you having your bird for 9 years! It's all two often you see birds for sale due to 'lack of commitment' or 'wanting a different species'... Like you say; you love your bird!

Thanks again, Josh
Old 29-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Dave Windras
Passage

Well done with the horses /its a long time since i have been on horse back ,had a mate who,s wife had 25 or more use to ride the od one out now and then ,at the moment a bad back is keeeping from flying hope it will not be to long before i am back out ,it then takes me a week or so to get her right before I take eneyone out with me, I like to meet before i take them out but I might be able to give you a few days out when I GET STARTED IF YOU DONT MIND NEETING UP FIRST I live neer york/dave
Old 29-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Brancher

Quote:
well done with the horses /its a long time since i have been on horse back ,had a mate who,s wife had 25 or more use to ride the od one out now and then ,at the moment a bad back is keeeping from flying hope it will not be to long before i am back out ,it then takes me a week or so to get her right before I take eneyone out with me, I like to meet before i take them out but I might be able to give you a few days out when I GET STARTED IF YOU DONT MIND NEETING UP FIRST I live neer york/dave
Cheers Dave! This would be highly appreciated! I don't mind travelling to meet you beforehand! This is understandable! When your say near York, which village do you live in? So I can gauge the milage!

Thanks, Josh
Old 30-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Dave Windras
Passage

Dont knowe if you got my pm but its pocklington just off the 1079 you can find it on google maps/dave
Old 30-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Brancher

Quote:
dont knowe if you got my pm but its pocklington just off the 1079 you can find it on google maps/dave
Not got any pm's mate, inbox is saying empty. Don't you need a certain amount of posts before you can receive pm's?

Feel free to find me on Facebook maybe? It's 'Josh Sprakes'. There's not many sprakes' about so it won't be hard to find!

Thanks, Josh
Old 30-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Dave Windras
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsprakes View Post
Not got any pm's mate, inbox is saying empty. Don't you need a certain amount of posts before you can receive pm's?

Feel free to find me on Facebook maybe? It's 'Josh Sprakes'. There's not many sprakes' about so it won't be hard to find!

Thanks, Josh
sorry josh but dont do face book or twitter but as above is were pocklington is just checked star out and she is almost the right weight to fly, just my back to get right and get her going
/dave
Old 30-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Brancher

Quote:
sorry josh but dont do face book or twitter but as above is were pocklington is just checked star out and she is almost the right weight to fly, just my back to get right and get her going
/dave
Thats fine, I cant really say I blame you for not using facebook or twitter! I have checked how far it is to Pocklington and it is only half an hour away! I have been there a few times; there is a nice gun shop there and also a handy spoo-yard - although you will probably know this already.

Great news that Star is almost ready! Can't wait to meet her (if once we have met I have your permission of course! Hopefully your back will be right soon so I can come meet you both and hopefully get out in the field!

Just trying to think of a more formal way for us to get in touch, and short of posting my phone number on here - which I refuse to post my number on the open internet for obvious reasons, there is only really email I can think of seeing as though PM's wont work for me.

My email address is: j_sprakes@hotmail.co.uk if you wish to get in touch that way!

Cheers, Josh
Old 30-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Dave Windras
Passage

Sent you email/dave