Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Yorkshire

Old 14-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Egg

Default Help with stubborn Eagle owl

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I get things wrong, IId like ask advice from members with experience training European eagle owls .
I've always been interested in falconry and wanted to try falconry at some point in my life and last year after a long career as a professional Bass guitarist i found i now had the time to commit to a bird, i joined a local group last year for asvice and last April got Holly my Eagle Owl, though I must admit at this point that people did say dont get an owl as it will send you over the edge with frustration, but not wanting to be ut off I got an owl anyway as I've allways had a love for owls and wasn't that interested in hunting with a bird i just wanted to fly one.
So last April we got Holly at four weeks old, the training wasn't that hard she soon was jumping to the fist for food and after she was capable she was jumping round the garden then flying accros the garden with no problems .
now she's nine months old and 4 lb 11 and so stubborn when I take Holly out, she'll fly all day at home but anywhere else she just refuses to budge, she can have my standing for hours wayving food around shouting
For this bird looking like someone about to go mental, then as soon as i decide I'm going home she'll fly fifty sixty feet for food, I'll get five or six flights or none at all .
then ill get the bird home and she'll fly so any advice will be helpful
Thanks Ellis
Old 15-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Help with stubborn Eagle owl

Shwmae Ellis , it sounds like you just need to reduce the weight a bit when you re away from from your usual flying ground, it's a common problem with all raptors. Have you tried her to a dragged lure at all ? Tony
Old 15-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Egg

Hi buddy thanks for your reply , David another member on the forum has been putting me right on the problems I'm having . It's that she'sjust over fed and a llittle fat . But thanks again for taking the time to answer regards Ellis ..
Old 15-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Brancher

Glad you sorted Tony
Old 15-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Egg

Yea thanks again Tony . A lot of the problem is getting a bird you believe is female but is probably a male , i did suspect this was the case and looks like it is , so Holly is more of an Oliver and just a fat male owl at 4 lb 11. So its time to cut food down .But it will be sorted now . Regards Ellis ..