Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > UK Lantra Help & Discussions

Old 24-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Qualifications

Hi Everyone

I wanted to ask about qualifications that employers in Falconry Centres and other Falconry-based establishments look for. I'm going into my second to last year at Secondary School and I always love to plan ahead to every extent possible. I wanted to ask what qualifications employers in Falconry look for? These could be anything from core subjects studied at school such as Maths etc. to higher and further education topics such as animal management. What do you think counts more to employers in Falconry, the actual qualification and grades or the practical experience with Raptors? I have no idea what employers in this line of work are looking for. Also, would having the Lantra help or shouldn't I bother? I did do a work experience at my local centre a while back however qualifications weren't mentioned much. My generation have to stay in school until were 18 leaving school at 16 to either go to a 6th form, college, university or apprenticeship. I think I would also have a chance at getting an apprenticeship if I wanted one so would this be a good route to take?

I also feel that I shouldn't limit myself to just Falconry because if it doesn't work out, I'm stuck. It probably will however it's something that's never guaranteed. What are peoples general thoughts on the necessities of an employee in Falconry?

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 24-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Qualifications

I would suggest you choose a career that pays well as you will then always have the finances to support your hobby.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind The Gap View Post
I would suggest you choose a career that pays well as you will then always have the finances to support your hobby.
I have known people to be in Falconry and be paid well however I would agree that it doesn't happen often. I know some people do pest control work with major companies, does that pay well?

Bradley
Old 24-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Brancher

It depends on your definition of a good salary. Only then will you be able to define what pays well and what doesn't.
Old 24-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

I would suggest you looked at the prospectus for Sparsholt College as you seem to be rurally orientated and pick something to work towards that doesn't narrow your options and would give you a good salary.
Old 24-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Hi Bradly,
Our love of falconry became our living and it is very possible depending on how determined you are. We started doing display work about 25 years ago and our Pest Control about 10 years ago, both very successful, in fact plenty of pest control work, we have now taken on another person to help us.
Don't get me wrong it was hard at the start getting your name known and how good you are at your job, but very worth it, we now combine our hobby with work. There are not to many people who can say they love there job, we do.
Angie.
Old 24-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind The Gap View Post
It depends on your definition of a good salary. Only then will you be able to define what pays well and what doesn't.
One that supports you sufficiently, that's how I'd define it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 3 View Post
I would suggest you looked at the prospectus for Sparsholt College as you seem to be rurally orientated and pick something to work towards that doesn't narrow your options and would give you a good salary.
I have looked at colleges and the courses they offer, it's a decision that I don't have to make yet but one that needs considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry View Post
Hi Bradly,
Our love of falconry became our living and it is very possible depending on how determined you are. We started doing display work about 25 years ago and our Pest Control about 10 years ago, both very successful, in fact plenty of pest control work, we have now taken on another person to help us.
Don't get me wrong it was hard at the start getting your name known and how good you are at your job, but very worth it, we now combine our hobby with work. There are not to many people who can say they love there job, we do.
Angie.
This is exactly what I want to work towards, combining the two together.

Bradley
Old 24-07-2015, 07:14 PM
James formerly known as JPSter
Passage

Evening Bradley,

I do pest control as a living and combine flying my birds into my job and absolutely love it, I'll never be a millionaire but job satisfaction makes me a wealthy man, if that makes any sense to you buddy.

You have to work for a long time so if you can earn enough money to get by bill wise etc and enjoy flying your birds that's a win win in my mind.
Old 24-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Haggard

Bradley, it's not possible to offer any useful advice without knowing how well you're likely to do with exams and what your teachers think you're capable of long term. Without knowing those things my only advice would be that you don't ever settle for less than the very best you can possibly be.