Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 02-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Finally had a bit of luck today, he's been trying everything lately but just not able to keep hold of anything.
He has been trying to snatch squirrels out of ivy clad trees, crashed in after numerous pheasants and taken feathers from many of them but the fences and bramble are preventing any proper contact. He has been chasing the rabbits hard, taking fur off them and has been dragged right under ground.
Today we even bolted a couple of half grown rabbits, so had to move on to earths in pretty heavy cover, had a couple of good chases but they were able to easily take him into heavier stuff a mixture of densely packed saplings and fencing.
This was nothing special about the catch the rabbit made a bad choice in trying to hole rather than run and although he initially hit the ground beside it as it spun round he threw out a foot and connected. It dragged him into the hole but he had a good hold and i was able to pull it up. it was abit of a worrying time as the ferret came through and latched onto it before i could get it up out of the hole, fortunately I could dispatch the rabbit quickly and then it was just a tug of war with her, so it was a bit of a struggle to protect her whilst i held onto the rabbit. finely got her off and quickly moved the rabbit and Archie well away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171202A.jpg (95.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20171202B.jpg (101.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

A new permission today a nice mature wood, first time there on my own so decided I would have a walk about and see what we could find. Its on the side of a fairly steep hill so made my way up to the very top and let him up into the trees, started to have a scout about and spotted a few rabbit earths which will be ferretable. and lots of low level bramble providing good cover. As I made my way over towards a large patch he suddenly became very alert, so I stood and watched him he moved through the tree to the left hand side so I backed away from the cover and made a large circle around to the other side, I could still see him head bobbing, I went into the cover and he very nearly went but stopped and regained his position I continued in and immediately heard the sound of running on the fallen leaves. I heard his bell and spoted a cock bird running to my right however Archie had gone off the other way I could see him going through the trees and then he swept around in a large arc and made a sort of slide tackle, before disappearing. I made my back around the bramble and off through the trees to the last place I had seen him. Nothing but silence, a quick scan with the telemetry gave me his direction and there he was pinning down a large rabbit, nice head take and all under control.
Despatched and allowed him a good reward, decided that was enough for him and would continue the walk around after he was fed up.
No picture as I had left the camera in the car, but took these after. It was a big rabbit 3lb 3oz gutted, yesterdays was 2lb 13 1/2 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171203B.jpg (90.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203C.jpg (87.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203A.jpg (81.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Shane
Brancher

Looks like a good piece of land you have there! Well done Archie

What sort of weights is he flying at these days?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Hi Mick,

That's a result, great to hear you've secured some decent new land as well. Archie certainly isn't a stupid bird, as that flight confirms. Nice load of consistent head holds as well, he's doing you proud.

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Looks like a good piece of land you have there! Well done Archie

What sort of weights is he flying at these days?
Hi, Due to the colder weather he's at 2lb at the moment, started the season at 1lb 15oz.
Recall is surprisingly good.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Been doing what we can this week with the weather conditions restricting us to mostly exercise for much of it. Friday we visited a local wood nothing about other than a few squirrels but all at distance. It was good watching him at full speed through the trees, swooping down and around, I don't think he got near any of them but it was a good couple of hours.
Today we visited a vineyard, looked promising as we arrived with a few rabbits around the hedgerows in the sunny patches. So decided to have a walk about before getting the ferrets out and that's when it all went badly wrong, he was following on along some tall trees when a large group of crows mobbed him, normally he just ignores them but for some reason they drove him well off permission and across several fields and over a river. Initially I could see them pushing him on but after a while he was well out of sight so out came the telemetry. There was no means of crossing the river so kept going along it, had to cross some small side streams but eventually got him back in sight and offered the recall, a bit hesitant but eventually flew back over. Started to make my way back which was not that simple as there was no way across the water carrying him so had to walk several fields in the wrong direction before finding a crossing point, by then was a bit lost. Eventually back to where we started so boxed him while I collared the ferrets and then off to an open field earth, we have worked this for years and he has never caught anything from it. They generally hole pop and the odd one that does run usually makes safety as there is cover or holes in most directions. Positioned ourselves between the earth and the nearest holes and after a few minutes we had a runner coming out about 20 feet to our right, Archie nearly caught up with it but the fence and hedge came to soon, he quickly recalled and this time we stood half way between this fence and the earth. We did not wait long when another burst out on the far side of the earth where we had been and heading for the other hedge row and again he was right up on it as it hit the bramble and he crashed in but no luck, he ran out underneath the bramble and again readily recalled. This time we stood between our first position and this hedgerow and after a few minutes a third was out and running basically in the same direction as the first again where we had just been standing. This time Archie closed the gap very quickly and it started to jink left and right and just when it looked like it had him beat he anticipated the turn and stopped it dead in its tracks in the frost covered grass with both feet cleanly on the head. Despatched and allowed him a good reward, time for home and a rest for me.

You can just see the ferret box in the distance in the first one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171209A.jpg (97.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20171209B.jpg (97.9 KB, 28 views)