Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > The Moult & Imping

Old 15-02-2018, 06:52 AM
Egg

Default Moulting Question

This is probably a stupid question but I didn't actually know the answer, so thought I'd ask and get the right answer.

I had a friend come round the other day and she saw my Harris Hawk. We were on the topic of moulting and she asked me, "Is it possible to moult him during the Winter so then you can fly him during the Summer?"
I actually had no clue. My harris is not a hunting bird due to the lack of rabbits etc where we live. If anyone could answer this for me it would be much appreciated! I'm sorry if the answer if obviously a yes or no, but I'm just here to learn.

Thanks,
Jess
Old 15-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Haggard

Default Re: Moulting Question

here's a very old thread that you might find interesting and if you dig around there will be loads of old threads with vast amounts of information. The problem is that, in searching through them, you are swamped with advertisements attacking you from both sides and it makes it almost impossible to concentrate. Tech savvy people might know a way to rid yourself of them.
The thread relates to flying through the moult........
http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11592

So if you have a hawk, despite having no quarry, what do you do with it....is it trained to a dragged lure?
Old 15-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Fly it through summer and rest it say end of September and feed up and don't worry about it. You should be able to fly it at a high weight anyway so it will moult gradually all summer and catch up a lot in autumn and winter. It won't do a perfect while moult like maybe it would if left in a pen all summer. My hh is eight and he hardly gets a day off work all year and is still of course feather perfect, as are all my summer flown display birds
Old 15-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Egg

He's more of just a flying bird due to the lack of quarry but he's trained to a dragging lure. Thanks for the link, was very helpful
Old 17-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Duane Skuce
Passage

I had a very great long winger friend who got the idea from talking to vets, if you want your bird to moult faster feed it beef thyroid. He did, musta overdosed, it dropped all its feathers, imagine a naked Peregrine LOL. He never did that again friends. Moulting has nothing to do with heat, it has to do with light cycles, and food. There is a myth you cat fly through the moult, that's BS just need to know how and why would ya.
Old 17-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Duane Skuce
Passage

NM matter if you adjust light feed a thyroid supplement he will still moult, maybe more than you want. Longer than natural, but why do you want it to.? Wild birds hunt during the moult are feeding young, why are you hunting,? If you are ten

You realize this is the time your game replenishes itself. Ever hear of imping ?
Old 18-02-2018, 03:36 AM
Bruce
Egg

I got a new harris this year . first year bird. it started molting this last month, January . and now doesn't have enough feathers to catch game. despite keeping it in the dark and keeping it at flying weight.. I now have to give up until its done.