Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Tutorials

Old 02-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Egg

Default Dissertation Study Participants NEEDED (UK)

Hello everybody,

I am an Animal Behaviour student at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge.
I am currently working on my dissertation titled “Diurnal Birds of prey and pet parrots: a comparison between the quality of keeping and a study on the effect of experience.”

The purpose of this study is to assess the welfare of UK privately owned birds and investigate the differences between two kinds of birds: pet parrots and diurnal birds of prey.

Elegibility:
- Participants must be aged 18 or over,
- Participants must own either a pet parrot or a diurnal bird of prey (including but not restricted to kestrels, buzzard, hawks and falcons).

Participants will be asked to take an online survey relative to the bird in their care, including:
• Housing
• Husbandry
• Training
• behaviour
Duration: up to 5 minutes
If you’re interested in participating follow the link

https://goo.gl/forms/yzHP2GpJNBDqkfoE3

For more information contact Alessandra Di Graziano at alessandra.di@student.anglia.ac.uk

Lead Reseacher: Alessandra Di Graziano
Supervisor: Dr. Sophie Mowles

The study has received ethics approval by the Psychology Departmental Research Ethics Panel (DREP) and ratified by the Faculty Research Ethics Panel under the terms of Anglia Ruskin University’s Policy and Code of Practice for the Conduct of Research with Human Participants

Thank you very much!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:27 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Default Re: Dissertation Study Participants NEEDED (UK)

Hello,
could you tell everyone what experience you have to be able to make an assessment as although I know how important your dissertation means to you I don't know anyone who would welcome being judged on such a taboo subject as the welfare standards of their birds without having at least the equivalent experience that they themselves have if not more.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 3 View Post
Hello,
could you tell everyone what experience you have to be able to make an assessment as although I know how important your dissertation means to you I don't know anyone who would welcome being judged on such a taboo subject as the welfare standards of their birds without having at least the equivalent experience that they themselves have if not more.
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your question. I have had training in falconry and I have based the questions in my survey on that as well as my experience as a pet owner and the five welfare needs which are stated by law on the Animal Welfare Act 2006).
The participants will be kept anonymous, as I am not collecting any information that would make them identifiable. Also, participation is entirely voluntary so people that feel I don't have the expertise to "judge" them are welcome to abstain. For more detailed info I am including the text of the participant information sheet that I invite participants to read prior to deciding to take part.:
PARTICIPANT INFORMATION SHEET

Study: Diurnal Birds of prey and pet parrots: a comparison between the quality of keeping and a study on the effect of experience.

Lead Researcher: Alessandra Di Graziano
Supervisor: Dr. Sophie Mowles

Dear Participant,
Thank you for your participating in the study.
Before you decide whether or not to proceed to the online survey I would like you to understand why the research is being done and what it involves. Please take your time to read the following information carefully. If anything is not clear or if you would like to ask for more information, please refer to the contact information at the end of this document.
The purpose of this study is to assess the welfare of privately owned birds and make a comparison between two kinds of birds: pet parrots and diurnal birds of prey. The resulting report will constitute my undergraduate project dissertation.

Why have I been chosen?
You have been invited to participate because you are the owner of a diurnal bird of prey (kestrel, hawk, falcon, buzzard, etc.) or a pet parrot, and as such you can provide accurate details about your bird’s quality of life.

What will happen to me if I take part?
You will be asked to agree to a consent form to show you have agreed to take part.
After that, we will ask you to complete a multiple answer questionnaire with questions regarding the bird’s life such as housing size, cleaning routines, training and socializing, and the bird’s behaviours. Please answer as honestly as possible, as there will be no consequences to your answers. If you can’t find an option that accurately represent your answer, you will be asked to mark the option that resembles your answer most closely.
You can complete the questionnaire in your own time, and the completion shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes.

Will my taking part in the study be kept confidential?
The questionnaire will be completed in anonymous form, you won’t be asked to provide your name or any information that might make you identifiable. You will be assigned a random number or code for the sole purpose of distinguishing your answers from the other participants’.
Your data will be retained until October 2018, when it will be destroyed upon completion of my degree.
If you withdraw from the study all the data collected from you, to date, will be destroyed and removed from the study files.
Please note that Google is based in the United States and therefore your data will be transferred there. Google has signed up to the US-EU ‘Privacy Shield’. Please refer to Google’s Privacy policy at:
https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Thank you once again for your time in completing this study. Please contact me if you have any further questions about the research.
My e-mail address is (alessandra.di@student.anglia.ac.uk ) and my supervisor’s email is (sophie.mowles@anglia.ac.uk).
If you wish to receive a copy of this form and the Consent form, please contact me by email at any time.
If you wish to withdraw from this study, please contact me by email within one week.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Steven
Haggard

Hello Alessandra,

Have you considered contacting the British Falconers Club and asking for your survey link to be sent out to the membership?

The British Falconers Club is the largest Falconry Club in the UK. The clubs office can be contacted at:- admin@britishfalconersclub.co.uk

Regards,
Steve.
p.s. You have a typo
Have you done any kind of research or reading about hte bird you own?