Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SERVICES > Condolences for Falconers, Families & our animals

Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Barry Blyther
Passage

Default RIP and respect to Stephen Frank

Very saddened to hear the recent sad news of Stephen Franks death. RIP Stephen, and thank you for all you did, taught, pioneered, and for what this sport owes you.
Barry
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Jeff Cockle
Brancher

Default Re: RIP and respect to Stephen Frank

Another great loss to falconry, and friend RIP Stephen.

Keep flying high.

JEFF
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Barry
Passage

In the midst of life etc, another ireplaceable lost to modern falconry as well as a fount of memories and stories. Rest in peace Steven
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Graeme Neilson
Passage

[QUOTE=Barry;2091399]Very saddened to hear the recent sad news of Stephen Franks death. RIP Stephen, and thank you for all you did, taught, pioneered, and for what this sport owes you.
Barry[/QUOTE

I have to agree

RIP Stephen Frank
Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 AM
Alex Matossian
Brancher

First time I saw grouse-hawking which unfolded like magic clockwork was in the company of Stephen Frank at Birichen - flying 'Braggitha' and 'Mad Harry' and over 'Homer' (pointer) - it was simply breathtaking. In my view Stephen was a magician - yet very humble . . and great company who, on the few occasions I had the pleasure of visiting him, made me feel completely welcome and at home; reciting great entertaining stories of his days in the service of James Robertson Justice - then puting on a video of one of JRJ's films.
He shrugged off the compliment of one of his guests (an Italian who was over to shoot woodcock) who dramatically proclaimed Stephen to be 'a legend' - but a legend he was, and is.
So long Stephen! - you will be remembered affectionately in my memories for as long as I still have my marbles.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almestrada View Post
First time I saw grouse-hawking which unfolded like magic clockwork was in the company of Stephen Frank at Birichen - flying 'Braggitha' and 'Mad Harry' and over 'Homer' (pointer) - it was simply breathtaking. In my view Stephen was a magician - yet very humble . . and great company who, on the few occasions I had the pleasure of visiting him, made me feel completely welcome and at home; reciting great entertaining stories of his days in the service of James Robertson Justice - then puting on a video of one of JRJ's films.
He shrugged off the compliment of one of his guests (an Italian who was over to shoot woodcock) who dramatically proclaimed Stephen to be 'a legend' - but a legend he was, and is.
So long Stephen! - you will be remembered affectionately in my memories for as long as I still have my marbles.

That's a lovely tribute Alex. I have many similar memories of Steve, Harry, Braggy, Whizzer, Snuff, Londornaich and Birichen. The first time I ever saw a Grouse taken by a falcon it was by Braggitha over a point by Whiz and in company with Christian Saar on the low hills overlooking Bowside Lodge at Strathy....what an introduction to the great art!

Steve created magic for many people, a true legend he most certainly is, and will continue to be for as long as pointers work the ground and peregrines master the skies.

My wife and kids were also lucky enough to have the great pleasure of meeting Steve at his home. We are all very saddened at his passing but at the same time so thankful for his life and all he gave to falconry.

RIP Stephen.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Alex Matossian
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
That's a lovely tribute Alex. I have many similar memories of Steve, Harry, Braggy, Whizzer, Snuff, Londornaich and Birichen. The first time I ever saw a Grouse taken by a falcon it was by Braggitha over a point by Whiz and in company with Christian Saar on the low hills overlooking Bowside Lodge at Strathy....what an introduction to the great art!

Steve created magic for many people, a true legend he most certainly is, and will continue to be for as long as pointers work the ground and peregrines master the skies.

My wife and kids were also lucky enough to have the great pleasure of meeting Steve at his home. We are all very saddened at his passing but at the same time so thankful for his life and all he gave to falconry.

RIP Stephen.
Yes, some of the pointers' names you mention are flooding back . . and wonderful memories!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Brancher

I didn't meet Stephen more than a dozen times in total but I have a lasting memory of one evening at his cottage. In the days when the spring Pointer and Setter trials were held at Kinbrace I was left with a nine or ten hour trip down to the boat. Stephen overheard me saying that I would still have four or five hours to kill so he offered me tea and a run on his ground should daylight permit that day after the trial. I was well aware of Stephen's reputation as a falconer and dog breeder, in fact the two dogs I was running at the time were both Embercombe sired. Gus, F.T.Ch. Sparkfield Legas by Lucky and Max, Jonsmae Vidor by Charko.
The light proved good and I had the delight of running each of my dog against their sires and on that atmospheric bit of ground near the wind blown tree that is in the closing minutes of The Falcon Gentle. What I didn't know was that I would then end up sharing the sofa with this pair while Stephen prepared the meal and they were both huge dogs. Looked like two peas in a pod but they weren't litter mates.
He did offer me a gliding trip but unfortunately his cataracts delayed this and by the time he could fly again the trials had moved south.
A quiet spoken, gentle, man for whom his dogs, or probably more correctly what his dogs could do for his falcons was a near obsession.
Will we see his like again? I doubt it.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 AM
Katy Stuehm
Brancher

Thanks so much for these accounts of Stephen. Please keep them coming.

Thanks to Colin, I was able to correspond and chat with him. What a gentleman, what knowledge.

Having a brace of his dogs here is truly a gift and we are grateful for it, and grateful to have known him if only for a short time.
Old 26-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Egg

A lovely, generous man. Vivid memory of accompanying him on the long, long coach trip to the London march in 2002.
And of stew and chocolate.