Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SERVICES > Condolences for Falconers, Families & our animals

Old 25-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Dan Fenske
Brancher

Default Steve Baptiste-Falconer-Falcon Breeder

Steve Baptiste passed away Thursday night. Most reading this will likely not know his name. But Steve was known in the US as one of the pioneers in falcon breeding. In the late 1960's Steve and Dave Jamieson began a joint effort to learn to breed falcons in captivity. Their project was in Sparks, Nevada in Steve's backyard. Sparks is next to Reno, Nevada. Then, a few had succeeded with a few falcons produced. Early efforts were tried mostly with birds collected from falconers hunting falcons. The peregrines tried then were often passage tundra peregrines. They were available when the anatum and peals peregrines less so. Prairie falcons were the other bird tried. They were much more available.
Those years in falcon breeding were a struggle to figure out the many things now known in almost every breeding project. Steve was a part of figuring out what works to make them breed and how to make the young survive after hatching. Today much of this is taken for granted. Then it was breaking new ground.
Steve was among the early and successful falcon breeders. Maybe some of the birds he produced found their way to the UK. Older falconers will remember his name. In his later years of breeding, he bred Gyrfalcons almost exclusively. Hacking them on his desert property.
In his most active years of game hawking he pursued hunting sage grouse. He was very successful with that. Among the early falconers hunting those desert grouse.

He contributed a great deal to falconry in this country.

Rest In Peace Steve

Dan Fenske
Old 25-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Paul
Passage

Default Re: Steve Baptiste-Falconer-Falcon Breeder

A lot here do know his name and reputation,sad when a good man passe,s on hope theres falcons on the other side, rip,
Old 25-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Ian
Passage

I hope he had the chance to pass his knowledge on of both breeding and flying.
Condolences to his family
Old 25-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Steve Baptiste passed away Thursday night. Most reading this will likely not know his name. But Steve was known in the US as one of the pioneers in falcon breeding. In the late 1960's Steve and Dave Jamieson began a joint effort to learn to breed falcons in captivity. Their project was in Sparks, Nevada in Steve's backyard. Sparks is next to Reno, Nevada. Then, a few had succeeded with a few falcons produced. Early efforts were tried mostly with birds collected from falconers hunting falcons. The peregrines tried then were often passage tundra peregrines. They were available when the anatum and peals peregrines less so. Prairie falcons were the other bird tried. They were much more available.
Those years in falcon breeding were a struggle to figure out the many things now known in almost every breeding project. Steve was a part of figuring out what works to make them breed and how to make the young survive after hatching. Today much of this is taken for granted. Then it was breaking new ground.
Steve was among the early and successful falcon breeders. Maybe some of the birds he produced found their way to the UK. Older falconers will remember his name. In his later years of breeding, he bred Gyrfalcons almost exclusively. Hacking them on his desert property.
In his most active years of game hawking he pursued hunting sage grouse. He was very successful with that. Among the early falconers hunting those desert grouse.

He contributed a great deal to falconry in this country.

Rest In Peace Steve

Dan Fenske
Sorry to hear this sad news Dan.

Gerry x
Old 25-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Bernie
Passage

I certainly have heard of Steve - sad news and condolences to his family and friends

Bernie
Old 25-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Passage

Here is a picture how I like to remember Steve. Him and his 3/4 Gyr Max with Morley Nelson looking on. This was a Sky Trial he helped organize in 1987 near his home in Reno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steve b.jpg (28.4 KB, 229 views)
Old 25-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Dan Fenske
Brancher

Brian,
Thank You for putting up a photo of Steve. I'm hearing that the word about his passing is spreading fast. He probably could not have guessed how he might be remembered.

Dan
Old 25-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

I am sad to hear of Steve's passing. I've read alot about him, his breeding and falconry sucesses and seen him on one or two videos etc, including 'Hawking the West' from way back.

RIP Steve.
Old 26-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Brian,
Thank You for putting up a photo of Steve. I'm hearing that the word about his passing is spreading fast. He probably could not have guessed how he might be remembered.

Dan
Hi Dan,

That is how I want to remember him. He loved Gyrfalcons and Gyr Hybrids. I spent a week with one time just flying his birds, we had a blast. He had a old Volkswagen bus and we would load of a parcel of Gyrs and go fly them and then just load them back up while they were eating and roll back to his place-feathers floating everywhere! Good times!

He once told me when you grow up will only want to fly Gyrs or Gyr Hybrids as this is what Beebe had told him many years before about Gyrs. He was right as that is mostly what I fly these days.

I had lost touch with him for years, but out of the blue he called one day, as he was getting a Red Nape from Dennis Grisco and wanted to thank me for importing the founding birds. He is the one and only, over the years that ever acknowledge my hand in getting those birds into the breeding arena here in the US and wanted to personally thank me. A couple of years before he became badly ill he would call about every month and we would just chat about Breeding Falcons and anything related to Falconry. He told he felt his days were now very numbered.

He will be missed. R.I.P.
Old 27-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Dan Fenske
Brancher

Thank You all for sharing a bit about Steve. One of Steve's daughters called to share she had seen what was written about her dad in this thread. it's a painful time now for the family, but it helps for them to know that he contributed to many things and that his life did matter. Thank you for helping her to see that in your posts.

Dan Fenske