Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Billy Mazella
Passage

Default Re: To Silence a Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
I've got nothing to prove to you Bill, and certainly can't be ersed repeating my experience with imprints on the forum again . If you read the link I posted on this thread, it's in there, as are some ideas that might not yet have occured to you.

Anyway, listen Bill, I'm not posting for the heck of it - just stay clear of bull and the posts you write will be as right as rain. You have it in you to be an honest loon

All the best

Johny

This post says it all Johny, You cant return the graditude shown to yourself by answering me, I was expected by you to answer with my experience, i was under no obligation what so ever to explain my self or my experience to you yet when the glove was on the other hand you can not do the same! ... I know what ive done Johny, I know what ive got - I`ve no reason to lie, especially not to you who i dont know from jack! Eaither way ... surely you can see how off topic this is ? the gentleman has explained his troubles and asked for advice i have given him advice ... advice backed by the experience i have with imprints , and screamers at that ! ....

All you seem to do is appose any advice anyone gives, yet you do not offer advice ?

Bill - ( the Honest Loon )
Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Andy Welsh
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman_2 View Post
The best advise i can give you is to designe yourself a sound proof mews as already mentioned ventalation will be the biggest problem but it can be done, then you can set about making the bird silent

Hallelluja ! nice one Steve (The original thread more or less read how to provide a quick solution to a noisey problem to prevent sale of bird or loss of wife) no other quicker solution: thread copied from earlier :

Try all of the following at the same time :

1.Kills is the key, but you will still get the calling when he/she is getting near hunting weight again,

2. territorial calling is more than difficult to stop, even when you move aviary, but worth a move as long as the aviary is noticable different inside and different view points,

3. Sound insulate the aviary side walls to ground level where possible with standard building sound insulation material but remember to allow free flowing air and plenty of natural light and shade,

Best of luck,
Andy
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer1 View Post
The crazy thing is that it does not bother me at all, but my wife is about to go and move in with her mother.
that would be a tough call, i would rather listen to a screaming goshawk than a screaming wife, you can stop the goshawk from screaming by hunting it every day , killing with it while you are out in the field and feeding it away from home religeously. come november you should have a quiet hawk.
you can also stop a wife from screaming , it involves a club and a shovel.

Keith
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Jeff Blower
Brancher

I wanted some ideas that might help to silence a screaming goshawk. I got quite a bit of info on the issue. What I did not expect was to see all this back and forth nonsense. I think there are as many opinions about how to go about things in falconry as there are people practicing the sport at this piont. Thank's for all the posts and the info you have shared.

This weekend I built a chain link weathering area with shade cloth stretched over 3 sides as well as over half of the top. It is 12 ft by 12 ft. by 6 ft. I positioned it so it has a different view than what she sees from the mews. Put her out in it after flying on Sunday and she never made a sound.She is in there today as I am at work and the wife is at home. Keeping my fingers crossed that she remains silent in her new environment. I also raise racing pigeons so I let them out today so that they will be flying by overhead once in a while and cause some distraction from boredom.

And someone please buy bill and Johnny a beer and get them to bury the hatchet....
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Jeff Blower
Brancher

So far so good, she was quiet all day yesterday in the new weathering area. Not sure if she is just holding off untill she becomes used to the place though. She seems to sit a bit tighter in the new area too. Hoping this is the answer to my problem but not holding my breath.
Old 20-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Jeff Blower
Brancher

Just thought I would post an update to what has been happening.
OK, it all worked out just fine until the bird got used to the new area. Then the noise level went right back to LOUD AS HECK.... So I did the only thing left to try. I used high density foam insulation and covered the walls of the mew's then added some lathing strips and put sound board on top of those. Now it sounds like she is screaming about a quarter mile off down the road. My wife can still hear it in the driveway, but the volume has been reduced by about 75%. I think I am getting there now. Have been bringing her weight down slowly every day for three day's so she is a bit more vocal but the volume is under control now so things seem to be smoothing out at home. Whew...... I thought I might loose this one to the noise. Things are looking up now though.
Old 27-06-2017, 01:38 AM
Egg

Great thread thanks very much for sharing

Thanks very much for sharing, surely learned alot