Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 20-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Leo
Brancher

Default Good Camera for goshawk action

I am looking to buy a camera for a close Goshawk action on crows, magpies and close pheasants slips.

Anyone with any good model recommendations? Obviously it needs to have a head mount and a good quality picture for a longer distance slips would be also great.

Thank you
Old 21-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Shane
Brancher

Default Re: Good Camera for goshawk action

Hi the problem you have is that action cameras are all very wide angled lenses meaning anything that moves a bit far from the camera will appear miles away

If you mount it on your head you wont be able to control zoom function (if you find this function available) and you also have a lot of vibration to deal with as you are constantly moving.

I just ordered this one which has a built in vibration control

https://www.banggood.com/Elephone-El...p-1217374.html

My friend has the even cheaper version with no vibration control and images are very good indeed

I have gone through 3 gopros already and not spending that much again on an action camera
Old 21-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Leo
Brancher

Thank you for your answer. It looks like you've done your homework and found out the best option.
I won't be stressing myself too much about all the models and I will probably order the same model as you, it's affordable and like I said I believe you chose well since it looks like you have some experience with those kind of camers (you say you've gone through 3 GoPros).
Old 23-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Shane
Brancher

No problem, glad i could help

For the average person who will usually only share their videos on social media with friends and maybe youtube you do not need to spend that much money on a camera with features you will hardly ever use.

I spent a bit more on gopros at the beginning as a I do a lot of underwater filmwork and i need low light capability which is not required above water

The main issue is the vibration control and the ability to change from wide to narrow angles depending on what you plan to film

Spend the extra cash on a good quality SD card