Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Haggard

Default Re: "Sioux" socially imprinted male goshawk

sioux is twenty days old today, yesterday was his first day out in the van riding in his nest perched on the glove box lid where he can have a clear view of other vehicles and the goings on by the roadside as we drive by, he is feeding at the moment from the pot on demand , when he starts to call he is given his feed of freshly minced wild birds with the feathers removed by until he starts to lose interest , then he gets his second wind when the tweezers are loaded with the mince for a bit of a top up.
i have added a photo of him this evening with his first few feathers starting to poke through.

Keith
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Tim
Haggard

Looking good keith!!!

Are you changing anything with this bird compared to how you imprinted "frankie"???

Atb
Tim
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDog80 View Post
Looking good Keith!!!

Are you changing anything with this bird compared to how you imprinted "frankie"???

Atb
Tim
hello tim,
i will be tweezer feeding the eyass as long as i can for a top up as i am not leaving food with him all the time , no carcass feeding until he is hard penned and i will try jims method of feeding by the lure when trainning to prevent mantling, frankie mantled like mad and still does , he never showed me any aggression last year except when a weight reduction was needed in the early stages and this is the only vice i want to stay clear of with my new hawk.
i am sure i can get him killing as soon as he is able to fly , i have plenty of quarry on my doorstep and can fly every day when the hawk comes onto his hunting weight as long as it is daylight.
if he fails its my fault , plain and simple.
Keith
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Tim
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
hello tim,
I will be tweezer feeding the eyass as long as i can for a top up as i am not leaving food with him all the time , no carcass feeding until he is hard penned and i will try jims method of feeding by the lure when trainning to prevent mantling, frankie mantled like mad and still does , he never showed me any aggression last year except when a weight reduction was needed in the early stages and this is the only vice i want to stay clear of with my new hawk.
I am sure i can get him killing as soon as he is able to fly , i have plenty of quarry on my doorstep and can fly every day when the hawk comes onto his hunting weight as long as it is daylight.
If he fails its my fault , plain and simple.
keith
Sounds like a plan...hope it all pans out well for you keith!!!

Whats the idea behind the tweezer feeding and not leaveing food with the him this time??........is it just a case of he only gets fresh food or is there something you think you can improve upon by using this method this time??

Good luck
Tim
Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDog80 View Post
Sounds like a plan...hope it all pans out well for you Keith!!!

Whats the idea behind the tweezer feeding and not leaveing food with the him this time??........is it just a case of he only gets fresh food or is there something you think you can improve upon by using this method this time??

good luck
Tim
hello tim,
he has fresh food for every meal , the house is not full of flies buzzing around the place and i have the time on my hands to do it that way, the female rearing the eyass in the pen does the same , she brings the food to the eyass when she wakes and squeaks for food , she feeds the eyass at first beak to beak and later the eyass helps herself along with the beak to beak feeding by tearing at the carcass she is offering.
when the eyass has had her fill the remains are removed to the furthest part of the pen or finnished off herself until the next feed time comes around keeping the nest area clean.
i top up the eyass in the house to get just a bit more inside him , im not worried about the imprint screaming at me for food when he is hungry it is as natural to him as taking a sh!t , i am the parent , when he is hunting the noise will stop , i will make sure of it.
Keith
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Tim
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
hello Tim,
He has fresh food for every meal , the house is not full of flies buzzing around the place and i have the Time on my hands to do it that way, the female rearing the eyass in the pen does the same , she brings the food to the eyass when she wakes and squeaks for food , she feeds the eyass at first beak to beak and later the eyass helps herself along with the beak to beak feeding by tearing at the carcass she is offering.
When the eyass has had her fill the remains are removed to the furthest part of the pen or finnished off herself until the next feed Time comes around keeping the nest area clean.
I top up the eyass in the house to get just a bit more inside him , im not worried about the imprint screaming at me for food when he is hungry it is as natural to him as taking a sh!t , i am the parent , when he is hunting the noise will stop , i will make sure of it.
keith

Makes sense to me keith

Good luck
Tim
Old 17-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Haggard

sioux is 26 days old today , he is starting to feather up now and get a bit more mobile stretching his legs and flapping his wings , i took him out of his nest this morning for a photo shoot in the front garden , we will soon be doing away with the imprint tank in the house for free range.
Keith

Keith
Old 17-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Terry Burden - Professional Breeder/Admin
Haggard

Looking good Keith keep up the excellent work mate

Old 17-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Passage

good!! really nice, I'm sure that you have fun with him too
Great joob

Ciao Giacomo
Old 17-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Joe Hatton
Haggard

Great pics Keith and a fantastic thread. It must be a good feeling to rear, tain amd hunt a goshawk you bred. I hope your season turns out as good as it did with Frankie

Cheers Joe