Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 21-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Brancher

Default Re: HIGHS AND LOWS OF HUNTING A PARENT REARED GOSHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleSticks View Post
did your bird take that woodcock in flight?
Hi matt, i was working some rough ground with my gsp and the woodcock exploded from cover about 15ft in front of me, the gos was right behind it but it started to pull away, the gos then started to go higher up to around 100ft then for some reason the woodcock started to turn 180 degrees. This was its downfall, because the gos had the height advantage he folded his wings and stooped like a falcon and took it in fine style !!! i was left mesmerised by what i had just witnessed ! very privileged indeed to see him hunt like this !!!!
Old 21-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Nice thought, the contrast that is, I was real pleased when she came out the moult, that was a high, and then I put an ill educated tailguard on her, and she all but weakened, in her tail. Fret marks straight through. What a fool, ready to sue someone, or blame myself for just being stupid, lazy, and not making one. Nonetheless she was, at my fault, diminished in her abillty. Bad season, no matters who's fault. Imp away, It's ne'er quite the same. The other photo, the catching one, is I suppose a high point, because neither of us was trying that day, but to me, we both seemed satisfied. Would have loved to see the flight on the woodcock by the way, well done.....that's special

Johny
Know the feeling john i used a tail guard but still had to imp around 8 tail feathers due to him hitting cover hard whilst hunting !!
Old 21-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

What problems did you encounter flying him for several days on the trot ?

Jim.
Old 21-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Steve
Passage

Great thread mate I will be following this one with great interest
ATB Steve
Old 21-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutFlying View Post
What problems did you encounter flying him for several days on the trot ?

Jim.
i could not get the consistency with him, some days he would be like a rocket others he just used to pull off things half hearted ? He seemed to be acting like he was too high so i lowered him and he would be bang on for two or three days but then start miss behaving again ? the only problem i felt was if you had a kill and fed up on pheasant neck as a reward i feel the pheasant being greasy meat would make him disobedient the next day even if he was on weight.
The only solution for me was if i had a late kill just skip the next days flying ?
Does anyone feed their males a diet that gives them consistent flying ?
Or is it a male trait ?
Old 21-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

I'd say you had him a touch to high, a male gos is flown on confidence and not just weight. If your catching daily then it should be easier to keep him flying well and not the reverse.

1-13 1/2 for a first season male is a very good size. If you feed a lower quality diet such as rabbit meat, you'll able to feed greater qualities and keep an appetite.

Jim.
Old 21-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Rob
Haggard

Quote:
I'd say you had him a touch to high, a male gos is flown on confidence and not just weight. If your catching daily then it should be easier to keep him flying well and not the reverse.

1-13 1/2 for a first season male is a very good size. If you feed a lower quality diet such as rabbit meat, you'll able to feed greater qualities and keep an appetite.

Jim.
Sounds spot on.
Old 21-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Brancher

Quote:

Jim.
Cheers for the info jim i'll try him on more rabbit in future ! i think thats where i may have been going wrong slightly, i was trying to give him too rich a diet rats and quail to get the strength and energy in flight but lower amounts of food, then once a week streching his crop on rabbit to get his appetite up ! more rabbit it is then cheers
Old 21-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Brancher

Has anyone ever experienced a male pulling off cock pheasants ?! If so what would your opinions/experiences be of correcting it please ? He sometimes chases them hard and then other times blanks them ? As jim said he may be a touch too high or maybe he got a kicking on one when he was younger and it's knocked his confidence a bit ?
Maybe its a male thing and they choose their flights ? All the cocks he has caught he was fed up on them for serious positive re-enforcement but he still sometimes refuses them ? very frustrating............!
Old 21-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Brancher

Some more highs this time on my annual hunting trip to scotland....