Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Artificial Insemination & Incubation

Old 02-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Andy Peel
Passage

Default Female harris cross Male Goshawk.

Is there any breeders out there who have tried to cross the gos with a harris or is it impossible because of their difference in genes.
I know they have crossed a coppers hawk and a harris with quite some success.
I believe throught talking to some breeders that they have tried by AI but with no success only to 16 weeks old then they have problems.
Speaking to vets friends they say its possible but only if the right chromasones are present.
I know all you people out there with be saying whats the point of the cross but rememeber thing dont stand still and something good my comeout of it but may be not.
Please only people who want to put advise up no sarkey comments as i have a female harris who has just been rasied by a gos she is 22 weeks old and she has been in with other goshawks all this time no problems no fighting just sitting together no aggresstion.
If the feed back that is its impossible i will heed the advice and just fly the bird.

All the best

Andy
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Graham Stuart

I dont see any benifits in trying to cross these birds, most cross breeds usually have problems, and they are pretty much perfect killing machines as thay are......why medle with nature
Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Andy Peel
Passage

I guess you didnt read the post properly , i said some people dont agree but i am not asking for there advice.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Graham Stuart

i can read and i know what you said but in my opinion only a fool would even try and breed these together.....were YOU going to try....lol
Old 02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Graham Stuart

Surelly the welfare of the bird is the most important thing, why breed birds just for the sake of it and end up with young with problems, anyone who cares about wildlife wouldnt consider this..
Old 02-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Passage

Sounds interesting, cant wait for a batch of hargos's
Old 02-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Graham Stuart

Thumbs up

Frankenstien's all of you
Old 02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Passage

Sure someone must have tried , can't see if they can produce hoopershawks , they can't produce gos/harris's ...
Be interesting to see anyway.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Haggard

Firstly....Hatchabilty of the eggs is the issue, Fertility is not.

Secondly, The very Idea of such an abortion makes me feel like spewing my ***in guts up.

Why would anyone would wish to-

A) Slow a Gos down.

B) Try to give a Gos any more brain than the ample amount it is already blessed with.

Why do people want to make Harris hawks faster, If you feel the need for speed and think you can appreciate the flavour and manage the husbandry.

Buy a Goshawk

Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tim Laycock; 02-11-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
Firstly....Hatchabilty of the eggs is the issue, Fertility is not.

Secondly, The very Idea of such an abortion makes me feel like spewing my ***in guts up.

Why would anyone would wish to-

A) Slow a Gos down.

B) Try to give a Gos any more brain than the ample amount it is already blessed with.

Why do people want to make Harris hawks faster, If you feel the need for speed and think you can appreciate the flavour and manage the husbandry.

Buy a Goshawk

Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!

i do agree in what u r saying mate, but the same was said in the early days like andy said about the hybrids,look at the gyr.sakers, peregrine sakers etc

their doing a good job, so u never know maybe it can be the accipter of the century tame and odediant and same time a ruthless killer like a gos

But hey were only wishful thinking