Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Artificial Insemination & Incubation

Old 02-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Kevin
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuffPiece Chas
Yo Moses

I thought you had stopped the glue sniffing?

Reading this post it seems you may be back on it!

P.M.S.L that was class that cc,
Old 02-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSpar
Sounds like a gos I once had.

Unlucky
Old 02-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Andy Peel
Passage

In 1984 they produced the first Coopers/Harris and in stead of the Coopers running in under growth it used its speed and brains and turned into a excelent hunting hawk for different types of game which the coopers would not even look at.
I can understand gos people thinking this is a joke but all the same was said when the harris came over, it was ugly , **** , not worth the wan*. Put its proven in the field it can do everything a gos can do and more. Just the speed is the issue.
See if people were as blinkered as some of you we would not have the highbreds and falconry would not have lept forward to better hunting and more spectacular flights,
which we can see today.Cross breeding in other animals has worked for the better this can be seen in running dogs.
Mistakes will be made but time is of the essence and i believe if it can be done the right way in 10 years time people will not blink aneye at the though of this highbred.
So as i asked the first time is there anyone out there who has tried this or has any eveidence what the problems were.
Just one last point they said a harris would not breed with a red naturaly but its happening up and down the country,
as people are breeding the spar/gos
Whats the point you can have buy a small German male which will only take the same as the spar.
I believe the point is IF IT CAN BE DONE WITH OUT COMPLICATIONS LETS SEE WHAT THE FUTURE HAS TO HOLD.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Haggard

It should be pointed out that in the case of dogs, this is not actually cross breeding in the same sense. I do see what you're driving at however.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Haggard

Exactly OF, there is no gaurentee what you will get.

When people daydream about hybrids it is very easy to get lost in ideals without giving much thought to the possible outcome of putting seamen from X into Y.

Those that have bred birds will perhaps have a good idea of how it feels to have a nest full of chicks die through no fault of their own.

Imagine if the same nest of chicks died because of the breedses desire to pioneer and be the first

I know how I would feel about it!
Old 02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Andy,
At first you asked if a natural pairing was possible - I don't think it is. As for spar / gos these are AI creations and haven't heard anything about successful ones being flown in this country, and I'm very confident if they were good we would know about it.

What is this cross going to be ideally ? a gos that does what ? or a harris that can do what ?

Jim.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeelsBells
In 1984 they produced the first Coopers/Harris and in stead of the Coopers running in under growth it used its speed and brains and turned into a excelent hunting hawk for different types of game which the coopers would not even look at.
I can understand gos people thinking this is a joke but all the same was said when the harris came over, it was ugly , **** , not worth the wan*. Put its proven in the field it can do everything a gos can do and more. Just the speed is the issue.
See if people were as blinkered as some of you we would not have the highbreds and falconry would not have lept forward to better hunting and more spectacular flights,
which we can see today.Cross breeding in other animals has worked for the better this can be seen in running dogs.
Mistakes will be made but time is of the essence and i believe if it can be done the right way in 10 years time people will not blink aneye at the though of this highbred.
So as i asked the first time is there anyone out there who has tried this or has any eveidence what the problems were.
Just one last point they said a harris would not breed with a red naturaly but its happening up and down the country,
as people are breeding the spar/gos
Whats the point you can have buy a small German male which will only take the same as the spar.
I believe the point is IF IT CAN BE DONE WITH OUT COMPLICATIONS LETS SEE WHAT THE FUTURE HAS TO HOLD.
"Plus its proven in the field a harris can do everything a gos can and more" - what do you mean by this statement, I don't know of a single harris that can match an equally fit gos - so performance at gamebirds isn't in the same league, if it can do more why cross it with the inferior goshawk. You then mention a harris needs more speed, so this cross would be purely to give the harris a bit more speed but slow the gos down ?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Andy Peel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK
couldnt agree more andy i read quite a lot on the coopersxharris and it sounds like a good bird infact i may know somone who has flown one

i will find the email addy for the guy that did manage a harrisxgos and see if he can fill us in more

Andy thanks for your time at least someone is getting the point of this thread ?

Andy.........
Andy thanks for your time at least someone is getting the point of this thread ?

The point of interbreeding is to find a happy medium between both of the species and develop into a ( i hope)
A bird what every falconer would want!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Haggard

I suppose the real answer is we dont know what will happen. It's a free country PeelsBells, why not have a crack at it?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Isn't the point of falconry to try and catch prey in a natural way ?

Exactly what is it that you need to improve on either species without being wooly. What can't you do with your harris that needs improving on ? or the same for a gos ?

Jim.