Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Passage

Default Re: To Silence a goshawk

It probably has little fear of anything at home but in the big wide world there are lots of things it can be fearful of, hence the screaming at home and not in the field.
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer1 View Post
yup, female pulled as a brancher and quiet as a mouse when out hunting but noisy as heck at home.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Bob Jeffryes
Passage

Default Re: To Silence a Goshawk

Quote:
I have been told that a seperate chamber that she is not familiar with may do the trick, bt that seems like a big expense to possibly find that it did not work. Still trying to find something that will at least slow it down a bit.
you need to get it hunting and in a routine,you should see the difference within a few weeks if its killing regular,dont think the chamber will work,imprinted a gos myself and started dropping its weight in the conservatry whilst on the bow and it started to get a little vocal,put him in the chamber that he had never been in or seen before and it didnt change one bit it was only till i got him hunting and killing everyday that i could see the difference,he would call at 6 in the morning at 1st then a couple of weeks later he would start about dinner time,a friend of mine flys a male gos also and that now only makes a noise a hour before going out and very rarley when its out but it wasnt always like that.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Pete
Haggard

Quote:
The crazy thing is that it does not bother me at all, but my wife is about to go and move in with her mother.
BONUS ! ! !

now go and find yourself an imprint gos just to make sure she stays there .

Pete.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Ricky Doe
Passage

Quote:
The crazy thing is that it does not bother me at all, but my wife is about to go and move in with her mother.
Wish my wife would
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Billy Mazella
Passage

Jeff, You can switch and swap its chambers constantly but it will never put a stop to its noise! ... Its immature and being pulled as a brancher has possibly not helped and i expect it has somewhat imprinted to you a little. As said before, It will quite down when its killing and being hunted hard ! ...

When you feed it daily ( if your not flying ) i expect you just chuck its food in with it ? If you can make the time call it to its food on a line or if free then free ... may take 20 minutes longer to do but will help a little with the noise! ... Its calling because it wants food, its bored and its young and immature! ...

Your wife wouldnt like it at my house bud !

Atb Bill
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Brancher

Screaming gos

Hunt n hunt hunt nothing else for it let it it feed on every kill when young on easy kills ,,

Ive imprint several hwks falcons over the years, feed up on every kill at first even though you loose future flying time for a while

if noise is dificult at home or next door i in the past have , kept in the dark
Over night till every one has gone to work, then pegged outtill after bflying time then when problem occurs place in dark again either in hood or other means ie mews

If your bird is imprint you really should have the time on you hands to fly at least 1 times a day

Prefably more, make a hunting partner with you your hawk , dog etc

Dont forget you forge the partnaship , make it strong !
If you don,t have the time or resourses to imprint and fly a hawk ie every single day severall times a day, then don,t imprint better to bring uo a parent reared hawk,

Ticker
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Jeff Blower
Brancher

I do not and never have thrown food to my birds. I fly her free every day for her food and we hunt 3- 5 times a week. so far she is still refusig rabbits but I think she may still be a tad on the fat side. I am pulling her weight down slowly to find that magic weight. Fat she was silent, but as soon as the weight came down..... Oh boy! noisey around here.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Andy Welsh
Passage

Quote:
I have been told that a seperate chamber that she is not familiar with may do the trick, bt that seems like a big expense to possibly find that it did not work. Still trying to find something that will at least slow it down a bit.
Try all of the following at the same time :

1.Kills is the key, but you will still get the calling when he/she is getting near hunting weight again,

2. territorial calling is more than difficult to stop, even when you move aviary, but worth a move as long as the aviary is noticable different inside and different view points,

3. Sound insulate the aviary side walls to ground level where possible with standard building sound insulation material but remember to allow free flowing air and plenty of natural light and shade,

Best of luck,
Andy
Old 06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Billy Mazella
Passage

Quote:
I do not and never have thrown food to my birds. I fly her free every day for her food and we hunt 3- 5 times a week. so far she is still refusig rabbits but I think she may still be a tad on the fat side. I am pulling her weight down slowly to find that magic weight. Fat she was silent, but as soon as the weight came down..... Oh boy! noisey around here.
Seems like the sooner you find the "Magic weight" at which she will do bunnies and enter she will be less noisier ! ... I would not be suprised if this bird stood for you as a brown bird for Insemination next year! ... As said she needs routine as much as possible and more importantly needs to be catching and killing! ... If you can get into that sort of routine then your all good! ... I have a female here thats 3 years old and is noisy as heck! ... ( being a breeding bird now i do not fly her ) but she is in a pen where she can not see the house! ( when she could see the house the noise was constant! or even just if she hears my voice in the yard ! ), Like i said Jeff the noise will not ... just go all together but it will die off a little when in a routine! ... and should go with maturity ! .... People make mistakes sometimes and spend far to much time "Finding the weight" of a bird and in turn this causes prolonged hunger and boredom to the bird resulting in a lot of noise ( not saying this is where your noise has originated ) but its one cause! ... The female here as a brown bird was absolutley terrible even in the field ! ... But once entered and flown hard she was quite .... after each morning/ hunting session with her she was allowed to feed and was back down to weight for around the same time the next day ( which is when she would start to call ), but she was out again as close to that time as pos and so noise at home was reduced ...

Jeff... Unless obvcourse u pulled the nut case

Atb Bill
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

They are all so different Jeff, My male Imprint last season although killing regularly and flown hard for the entire season was very vocal even upto the last day i flew him in early february, he was not noisey in the field as he soon quietened down in this respect, but at home he was awefull even though his hunting weight was a very round 1lb 13.5oz he was also very aggressive in his first season especially for a male. Fast forward a moult in seclusion and he is a changed bird silent and as gentle as a lamb. If you get a noisey one you have to just put up with it and plough on as best you can daily flying and kills if possible will make things better no doubt but i think some noise for most of the first season is a real possibility im afraid, but if you plan to keep the bird for a future hunting patner with no interest in breeding then a seclusion moult is the way to go imo, mine is still the affable Imprint he was but without all the unwanted traits.