Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Shane
Brancher

Good teamwork. Is taking the frustration out on the falconer a typical redtail trait? Watched a video online yesterday of another male redtail who footed the falconers hand just after it landed on the glove for no apparent reason. The falconer also said it was frustration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Good teamwork. Is taking the frustration out on the falconer a typical redtail trait? Watched a video online yesterday of another male redtail who footed the falconers hand just after it landed on the glove for no apparent reason. The falconer also said it was frustration!

Its happened a few times over the seasons, it was probably worse in the early seasons. During our first season the footing was a daily risk and it took a few seasons to get him comfortable with my hand around his feet, but even now there can be the odd dab at you when you least expect it, routine and consistency are the key. He also used to do fly pasts where he would chuck out a foot at my head, he caught me a couple of times that's why I wear a hat when in the field, I believe that was to try to pressurise me into giving him food when there was little quarry to chase. I also witnessed this when out with a female red she did exactly the same thing, drawing blood around the temple, its like being punched but with talons. There have been other things like landing on the ground near me and then trying to grab my thigh, that quickly stopped as I learnt fast and would simply walk away before he had a chance. But in my experience if you can present regular quarry to chase with the occasional kill things are much easier but not a certainity.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks good to know. I guess i haven't experienced any of that with my harris. Apart from shouting at me a few times she has not shown any aggression although lets see what happens when the hormones kick in in a few years 😂

Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

After two kills in two days he was high in weight but manageable. Farm land today, walking along the ditches and hedges between the fields a few times he held fast over very dense areas and his manner showed he had seen something below, the likelihood here is rats which I'd rather not bother with so I'm not keen to flush but a few times he was clearly not going to move until I did and thankfully it was blackbirds or other small birds. so we could get him moving on. Took a while to get him back on the glove before crossing a large field to the next hedge rows and about half way across let him go so he would be over the hedgerow before arrived. just as we went through the hedge he left the top and was out of sight. We spotted him going up into a tree on the hedge way that crossed over the hill so went off after him, before we got there he was attacking something in the cover but pitched up and settled in a large tree. He quickly turned towards us and his actions showed there was something there still and as we approached it flushed and he came sharply down the other side and contact was made. We were the wrong side of the ditch and hedge so had to make a way through, he was well in control when we found him, simple dispatch and gave him a good end of season feed up which continued whilst we walked back to the car.
So that's it for season 9, by far our hardest yet. With the game season over and a season long lack of rabbits that only really leaves squirrels which I'd rather not hunt, his feet have a few marks from the bites recently but thankfully nothing significant. He improved well this season with pheasants, hopefully we will be back to working with the ferrets next season as I much prefer working him from the glove.

Relaxed on the swing perch

Old 05-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Passage

Have a safe moult. Really enjoy your thread and glad you persevered with the season.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Well I was being to think he was never going to start this year but today a bright red deck feather was on the floor. As it was clean up day I retrieved it and to my surprise I found the other one on the food ledge.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
Well I was being to think he was never going to start this year but today a bright red deck feather was on the floor. As it was clean up day I retrieved it and to my surprise I found the other one on the food ledge.

Bit of a late start to his moult this time then Mick. Hopefully he'll make up for the time and you can get out around the same time again.

Best Wishes,

Bradley
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

The warm weather seems to be helping, had a clean up today and collected these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170702.jpg (90.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
The warm weather seems to be helping, had a clean up today and collected these.
Looking good Mick! How long do you think he has left? I remember you saying to me that he was a little late starting this year.

Best Wishes,

Bradley
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Looking good Mick! How long do you think he has left? I remember you saying to me that he was a little late starting this year.

Best Wishes,

Bradley
No primaries yet so will be a while