Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

Yeah I gathered that it's not a term of affection up my way lol.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
I guess she doesn't come on here if your calling her a hag. Either that or it means something else where you live.
No luckily hags doesn't visit the site !

She'd laugh if I explained how bad tempered and erratic an old wild falcon would be.

But I would have to explain the hag meaning to her because girls like her from the council estates round here wouldn't have read any Shakespeare !

Bless her - she knows how to feed the kids and clean out a ferret...

She was like a page three girl when I met her. Now after the kids she's page three, four and five.... !!

Lol !

Sorry Donna - I thought you might bite when I typed the last post.

Hag is a brilliant woman and she's produced a pair of lovely haglets for us from completely natural pairing.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Passage

Not biting lol I just wondered like I say not a term of endearment up this way.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
No luckily hags doesn't visit the site !

She'd laugh if I explained how bad tempered and erratic an old wild falcon would be.

But I would have to explain the hag meaning to her because girls like her from the council estates round here wouldn't have read any Shakespeare !

Bless her - she knows how to feed the kids and clean out a ferret...

She was like a page three girl when I met her. Now after the kids she's page three, four and five.... !!

Lol !

Sorry Donna - I thought you might bite when I typed the last post.

Hag is a brilliant woman and she's produced a pair of lovely haglets for us from completely natural pairing.
She is aware of the AI concept too. It was an excuse I once fed her when she caught me tossing over her riding hat in the shed. I told her about the AI stuff and tried to blame it on me 'awks !!

Glad she don't come on here....

Lol
Old 08-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Thank you. Yes its been fun flying him for a full season. But the constant dodging for daylight hours is laughable. I sense the hag is glad I've stopped flying, but she doesn't say anything. Just a few little comments - bless her !

Yes pm anytime - have you placed an order ?

Regards

Terry
The order has been in place for many months!

I will be in contact
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
The order has been in place for many months!

I will be in contact
Excellent. I'll ask my mate to collect moulted tail from his one this summer. Just in case you need them.

Regards

Terry
Old 09-02-2017, 04:18 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Excellent. I'll ask my mate to collect moulted tail from his one this summer. Just in case you need them.

Regards

Terry
Cheers terry! You read my mind....haha
Old 09-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Cheers terry! You read my mind....haha
I have spoken with him and he has a few tails already.

He lives very by and is a good friend.

You can see his Spar on here. Sean Marney. He's a great falconer. Very dedicated young man.

Regards

Terry
Old 19-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Egg

Quote:
Hello

I would appreciate any help or advice from experienced gamehawkers regarding game hawks suddenly starting to perch up and looking weak and lack lustre when flying.

Thank you

Regards

Terry

Terry,
got to this Thread late, (put onto it by my Hawking partner).
In short, this year had Cocci affect 3 Falcons. Interviewed Brookei, Eyass Tiercel Brookei & a Tiercel Peregrinus. The initial symptoms for the Tiercel's were as follows. Weak flight, inward looking, way too keen to come in to the lure, even when at the high end of their respective flying weights.

The Falcon was even worse, in that she was physically unable to fly. The previous few days (two weeks after picking her up from the Moult), she was on the Creance, doing 40 - 50 Yards.
Had one day when free where she came 50 yards, but wobbly on the lure.
Next day with my mate unhooding her, tried to call her 70 yards. She left the fist, but only travelled 10 yards before landing.
Obviously something was seriously wrong (my initial thoughts were Lead Poisoning, but knew she had only been on Quail/Skinned Chicks for 4 weeks, Lead Poisoning normally has an immediate effect. So took her to the vet (a well know "Avian Expert"), eventually had Coccidiosis diagnosed.

This is where things went wrong, I had her treated with Baycox (I was advised that this could cause other issues, but thought I'd take the advice from the vet). Although the Cocci was cured, another bug was the able to proliferate. plus her immune system and gut content was wiped out.

Then had 10 weeks of her not being able to fly, despite the vet carrying out every test imaginable.
Eventually following advice from another source, got her to the point where she could fly. But significantly, where the top end of her weight last year was 1 Pound 9 Ounces, she was now flying at 1 Pound 11 Ż.

Gradually built her up by maxing her out on Quail, Pigeon etc. To the point where she was getting 1,000 feet to the drone. The difference from last year was star though. In her Eyass year she would generally get to 1,000 feet in the region of 3 Minutes 30 Seconds. Now it was closer to 5 Minutes, plus whereas previously she would beat her wings non stop, now there was some coasting.

However did get her in the air when I thought she was a gonner. Getting back to all of the Falcons, the following was noticed.

Following advice, started treating with Harkers Coxxitabs, as less invasive than other treatments (the Pigeon boys use them daily). Tried the following regimes.
1: One weeks treatment, Week off, treated for the Third week.
2: Higher Dose of 2 Tablets a day for all for the first week, then 1 Tablet a Day for the Tiercels.

Following regime 1, the Falcon was back to normal, for 3-4 days after the third week. Then again lost her power.
We then went onto regime 2, which seemed to work better. However had the issue where they would sit (possibly habit now).

Cured it slightly, by extensive use of the Drone (to force them into the air, as they all switched on when hearing it start up, and was also good to break the cycle).
However, there were spells when they would sit again.

The only thing that seemed to work was flying on the 48 hour regime, I.E. Crop out one day, then nothing or very little the "rest day", then fly on the next day, where although overweight they would feel hungry and fly with gusto.

This went on from October so was a little stressful.
On investigation, although the Coxxitabs seemed to treat the symptoms, the feeling is that there is a condition that affects Peregrines aligned to Coccidiosis (all were constantly re-checked for it). Unfortunately not much knowledge seems to be available in the UK.

Totally at a loss as to what to do next year though. So grateful if anyone else has had similar issues.
Old 19-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannacheck View Post
Terry,
got to this Thread late, (put onto it by my Hawking partner).
In short, this year had Cocci affect 3 Falcons. Interviewed Brookei, Eyass Tiercel Brookei & a Tiercel Peregrinus. The initial symptoms for the Tiercel's were as follows. Weak flight, inward looking, way too keen to come in to the lure, even when at the high end of their respective flying weights.

The Falcon was even worse, in that she was physically unable to fly. The previous few days (two weeks after picking her up from the Moult), she was on the Creance, doing 40 - 50 Yards.
Had one day when free where she came 50 yards, but wobbly on the lure.
Next day with my mate unhooding her, tried to call her 70 yards. She left the fist, but only travelled 10 yards before landing.
Obviously something was seriously wrong (my initial thoughts were Lead Poisoning, but knew she had only been on Quail/Skinned Chicks for 4 weeks, Lead Poisoning normally has an immediate effect. So took her to the vet (a well know "Avian Expert"), eventually had Coccidiosis diagnosed.

This is where things went wrong, I had her treated with Baycox (I was advised that this could cause other issues, but thought I'd take the advice from the vet). Although the Cocci was cured, another bug was the able to proliferate. plus her immune system and gut content was wiped out.

Then had 10 weeks of her not being able to fly, despite the vet carrying out every test imaginable.
Eventually following advice from another source, got her to the point where she could fly. But significantly, where the top end of her weight last year was 1 Pound 9 Ounces, she was now flying at 1 Pound 11 Ż.

Gradually built her up by maxing her out on Quail, Pigeon etc. To the point where she was getting 1,000 feet to the drone. The difference from last year was star though. In her Eyass year she would generally get to 1,000 feet in the region of 3 Minutes 30 Seconds. Now it was closer to 5 Minutes, plus whereas previously she would beat her wings non stop, now there was some coasting.

However did get her in the air when I thought she was a gonner. Getting back to all of the Falcons, the following was noticed.

Following advice, started treating with Harkers Coxxitabs, as less invasive than other treatments (the Pigeon boys use them daily). Tried the following regimes.
1: One weeks treatment, Week off, treated for the Third week.
2: Higher Dose of 2 Tablets a day for all for the first week, then 1 Tablet a Day for the Tiercels.

Following regime 1, the Falcon was back to normal, for 3-4 days after the third week. Then again lost her power.
We then went onto regime 2, which seemed to work better. However had the issue where they would sit (possibly habit now).

Cured it slightly, by extensive use of the Drone (to force them into the air, as they all switched on when hearing it start up, and was also good to break the cycle).
However, there were spells when they would sit again.

The only thing that seemed to work was flying on the 48 hour regime, I.E. Crop out one day, then nothing or very little the "rest day", then fly on the next day, where although overweight they would feel hungry and fly with gusto.

This went on from October so was a little stressful.
On investigation, although the Coxxitabs seemed to treat the symptoms, the feeling is that there is a condition that affects Peregrines aligned to Coccidiosis (all were constantly re-checked for it). Unfortunately not much knowledge seems to be available in the UK.

Totally at a loss as to what to do next year though. So grateful if anyone else has had similar issues.
Thank you very much for posting such a detailed reply.

I will respond in full when I get a time to type it.

Had mutes tested again on Saturday. It was negative for cocci and worms. But he still looks ill. I have a short video of the symptoms that I will try to post on here.

When I get time I will post the whole story.

Regards

Terry