Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Breeding Birds of Prey

Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Brancher

Default Change in behaviour of male Redtail during last few weeks

Hi all,

Well this year I am watching my pair of Redtail's like a hawk (lol) as the days draw out in the hope of seeing them start to come into condition to breed.

This will be my first breeding season that I have attempted as last year I didn't put them together in time and the female produced two clear eggs with no apparent interest from the male.

Throughout Summer, Autumn and Winter I've observed them via CCTV and always thought that the male was a wet lettuce and didn't hold out much hope for them. For example when the food tray was presented it was always the female that ate first with the male chirping away in a sort of begging posture and even when the female had finished eating he would take food from the tray and chirp and mantle over the food whilst eating it and never leave the food ledge.

Well... these past few weeks I have seen a massive transformation from the male. The male is always first to the food when I put it in and is confident when eating, wings back, no chirping etc and the last few days I have observed him taking food from the food ledge back to the nest ledge where the female sits and eating right in front of her with no mantling etc.

Does this sound like positive behaviour to you guys? From your experiences does what I have described sound like a bird coming into condition?

Thanks in advance,

Wesley

P.S - I have started to feed the birds twice daily to try and encourage food passing.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Steve
Passage

Default Re: Change in behaviour of male Redtail during last few weeks

Yes sounds very good . Is there Plenty of twigs on floor for the birds to nest build
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Brancher

Cheers for the reply Steve and yes plenty in there and I'm adding fresh stuff every day. I was watching the CCTV playback this morning and the male has been nest building in the middle of the night which surprised me haha
Old 05-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Roy - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

When I bred Reds I used a round wicker basket with branches and twigs thread in to it mounted on a ply shelf, loads of sticks and twigs on the floor. I think yours are making the right moves. try to disturb them as little as possible.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Steve
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Red12 View Post
When I bred Reds I used a round wicker basket with branches and twigs thread in to it mounted on a ply shelf, loads of sticks and twigs on the floor. I think yours are making the right moves. try to disturb them as little as possible.
Well said keep away from them and if toy ever go in never take your eye off them even a well mannered red turns into a fire breathing monster in breeding season
Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Brancher

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm popping nesting materials into a clean food tray after they have had their morning feed and delivering it via the food drawer so don't have to go in to them. The aviary does have an open front so they can see the house so I guess I will have to see how I get on this year
Old 16-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Egg

Good luck with the breeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Brancher

Cheers Danny,

So far so good, both birds are nest building with increased frequency now and the male has started to bring food to the nest. On one occasion so far I have witnessed him give his food up to the female although a little begrudgingly.

I will keep you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyg View Post
Good luck with the breeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Brancher

Copulation started yesterday and continuing today from what I witnessed this morning before work
Old 22-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Brancher

First egg was laid yesterday afternoon with both parents taking turns to incubate. Female took the day shift and the Male took the night shift. Exciting times