Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 14-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Passage

Default Re: Zeus- a muddled diary in pics and words!

It is a very interesting read hope you manage to nip the bad habits in the bud. I have a spaniel that's a non worker but he will chase feather forever ears down and not listening. That's left me with some very scary moments of finding him.
Old 14-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Brancher

It's a very fine diary.......

....Bonellis is something I'd really like to see hunt....
Old 14-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

bloody dogs eh ILMD!
Ingo I like Bonelis, the males are certainly something with all round potential and the females on hares are incredibly fast (males catch hares too ) and always remind me of giant gosses with eagle wings! their wing beat looks faster than the goldie, more gos like and this just like a gos gives the impression of something really shifting along. very big foot span for the size too!
Old 17-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

weather: superb! a proper spring day! part cloud part sun, warm and the perfect amount of light breeze.

weight: 8lb 8oz (he has been eating fresh air for two days)

I left home at 5am to take my wife and daughter to heathrow to begin a few days in New York for a joint 18th and 40th birthday experience. After the drive home I put the fhh into the van and went off to do a couple of hours industrial pest control, then home for a snack and swapped Zara for Zeus in the van.
we got to the fields at lunchtime and kitted up. As before I wanted to leave the best fields well alone so that tomorrow brings some good end of season sport (if we don't get plenty of slips for the two guest birds ill be right cheesed off!) I decided to do a few of the 'old' fields that ive worked upto the end of the shooting season and that have been very un productive this year. On the theory that a few of the hares from the other side of the estate will have been pushed this way by my recent activity!

I walked into the field where Id parked, I always park here so understandably this field is usually rather quiet! I let the pup run on and took a maybe 15 paces and a hare got up at the other end of the field, I slipped Zeus just in time for him to spot the hare before it slipped through the far hedge, maybe 250 yards ahead. I whistled the recall to the pup and as she returned Zeus flew over her the opposite way,Zeus had marked the hare and was powering ahead maybe 15 - 20 feet up. he cleared the hedge and I expected him to veer right as this is where I thought the hare would have run, but he veered left and was flying down the far side of the hedge running away down the left of this field. He was still pumping hard and then suddenly, almost like hed hit a pane of glass, seemed to violently stop, wing over and fold, vertical he vanished behind this hedge. I ran.

I finally got into the field through the hedge, the dog staying on sit like a good girl! Zeus was nowhere to be seen. I pushed back through the hedge, he must have flown over to find me, nope, he wasn't back there. I pushed back through the hedge! Could he have got up and cleared another whole field in the time I ran down? I walked down the hedge, maybe he was in it with a hare in his talons, dare I hope?

As I walked down searching he suddenly heaved himself out the ditch 20 yards down, one foot holding the hare by the head and dragging it up to level ground!! The eagle was wet and so was the hare, they had ended up in the water!

Now we all do things our own way, but for me whatever the hawk I do like to do one kill outings most of the time and really really prefer to kill feed the hawk. My experience tells me(in my opinion) that this produces seriously driven hunting birds. But.... eagle meeting tomorrow...... the hare was treated like a lure and I picked the poor old boy up to 4 docs! no issues, should be on weight in the morning! In an ideal world he will catch first slip I can feed him up and the other two hawks can get all the action....mmmmmm you never know!

Funny season, ive almost forgot how rubbish 4/5 of it was!
Old 17-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

First pic is the distance, although the hare was taken the other side of the hedge. The van is on the horizon the white speck. It's parked at the very beginning good that field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6072.jpg (96.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6073.jpg (55.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6075.jpg (58.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 17-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Brancher

I used to quite like those mornings, when you are barley clear of the motor & you're all done!
Old 17-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Ingo same here, with my last gos I might be out a few hours or five minutes, im lucky as could fly most days so it didn't matter and the bird got a hot meal each time it killed. don't get many days like that anymore/!!
Old 17-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Shane
Brancher

Those wing overs a such a spectacle

Great going and good luck tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster View Post
Ingo same here, with my last gos I might be out a few hours or five minutes, im lucky as could fly most days so it didn't matter and the bird got a hot meal each time it killed. don't get many days like that anymore/!!
Yeh...due to circumstances, the last season before I left the uk was a short one of single kills only, .....We could be done in minutes some days with the gos
Old 17-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Ill report back!