Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 14-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
And this is another clip Terry took of Flicker grouse hawking. He hits his prey so hard, and this video reveals how he turns almost upside down before delivering the blow. Its sort of like a man twisting his body and fist right back in order to get extra power into his punch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3O...ew?usp=sharing

Same thing with some extra zoom:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3O...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks for editing and posting Paul. He looks meaningful when he hits them doesn't he.

Regards

Terry
Old 16-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Been flying daily.

The warm weather is affecting his keenness. Its been very easy to overfeed him due to the warm weather and me having him at the top end of his flying weight.

Friday 13th he's was 1lb 89gms at dusk. Fly him at the long pond with Mav. Went up quite nice and accurate but only to about 250ft then no ducks at home. He returned instantly to the lure. Fed him two chicks one headless.

Saturday 14th. Can't remember his weight but just abit lower 84grms I think. Flew him late again about 5.30pm not dusk. He wasn't cadge running. Flew at released Greys. Put him up 200yrds from pen. Flew really nicely. Up wind waiting on at about 500ft. Flushed the covey. Down wind flush. Didn't see end of the stoop because of hedge. But he killed one about 100 yrds from flush.
Nice flight - fed him partridge head and 1 1/2 chicks.

Sunday early at 3pm bating away on pick up. But then jumped on hand and immediately bate off again. Did this twice and i scooped him up. Funny little bird. Weighed 1lb 87grms so up in weight and early. Took him to my farm. Phil said they had shot next door and pushed some Redlegs over. Trimming him at a covey about 4.30pm. Breezy and bright. Started mounting the checked without barely even looking back. Woodies and BH Gulls going everywhere. Lots of birds in sky after this. He didn't go very far but was gone 10-15mins. Came back then release point blowing very hard. Too early, to heavy, too much check for this high weight...

Too windy too fly today. Fed him on fist. Weighed 1lb 77grams. Fed him three chicks one headless. Have ago tomorrow. But don't know what at.

Regards

Terry
Old 16-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello

Been flying daily.

The warm weather is affecting his keenness. Its been very easy to overfeed him due to the warm weather and me having him at the top end of his flying weight.

Friday 13th he's was 1lb 89gms at dusk. Fly him at the long pond with Mav. Went up quite nice and accurate but only to about 250ft then no ducks at home. He returned instantly to the lure. Fed him two chicks one headless.

Saturday 14th. Can't remember his weight but just abit lower 84grms I think. Flew him late again about 5.30pm not dusk. He wasn't cadge running. Flew at released Greys. Put him up 200yrds from pen. Flew really nicely. Up wind waiting on at about 500ft. Flushed the covey. Down wind flush. Didn't see end of the stoop because of hedge. But he killed one about 100 yrds from flush.
Nice flight - fed him partridge head and 1 1/2 chicks.

Sunday early at 3pm bating away on pick up. But then jumped on hand and immediately bate off again. Did this twice and i scooped him up. Funny little bird. Weighed 1lb 87grms so up in weight and early. Took him to my farm. Phil said they had shot next door and pushed some Redlegs over. Trimming him at a covey about 4.30pm. Breezy and bright. Started mounting the checked without barely even looking back. Woodies and BH Gulls going everywhere. Lots of birds in sky after this. He didn't go very far but was gone 10-15mins. Came back then release point blowing very hard. Too early, to heavy, too much check for this high weight...

Too windy too fly today. Fed him on fist. Weighed 1lb 77grams. Fed him three chicks one headless. Have ago tomorrow. But don't know what at.

Regards

Terry
Thanks Terry. Why not go all the way over to grams? You're more than half way there!
Old 16-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
Thanks Terry. Why not go all the way over to grams? You're more than half way there!
Yes I should do. Just been using what already had indoors after my lad breaking the electronic ones. Getting used to the grams now though. Will fully convert to metric eventually.
Old 16-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Yes I should do. Just been using what already had indoors after my lad breaking the electronic ones. Getting used to the grams now though. Will fully convert to metric eventually.
Don't know why this gradual changing from one to the other should remind me of the plan to change UK driving on the left to Continental style driving on the right. Was to be phased in........ starting with the lorries! lol
Old 17-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

No flying today.

Did go out for an hour near home this evening but couldn't find a suitable slip.

He was 1lb 83grms seemed very keen - he had still put on a bit after an accurate feed yesterday. The warm weather holding him high still.

Try again tomorrow after work. Fed him just a little less.

Regards

Terry