Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Falconry Questions that all beginners ask!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Mark
Passage

Default Re: Noisy Harris hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane87 View Post
Yes I keep her around that weight even days we canít fly? Is this wrong for a Harris? I either hide food around the garden and let her find/hunt it, from the glove occasinally and when doing exercise hop ups or through a food chute.

Iím trying my best with that but my biggest hunting ground has sand banks and the earths/warrens are so huge and so many holes itís hard going! Do you think it would help going to The woods I can hunt in and letting her kill whatever she can catch?

Thank you for your reply
Its a difficult one as what often works for one Harris won't work for another. Very often once they get killing on a regular basis a lot of the little niggles can soon disappear.
Yes it would stimulate her to tree fly and hunt in the woods. She will learn a lot and it would relieve any boredom issues. Give it a go. Maybe putting her weight up a bit and reducing it when you plan to fly maybe worth a go.
If I know that I won't be flying for a few days I usually give a bigger crop on her last kill. Then drop the weight a touch when I plan to fly next. Its all a bit of trial and error, each hawk can respond in a different manner.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Brancher

Shane

You could possibly at the end of each flying session or unsuccessful hunt bring her down to a well garnished lure then trade off and feed final ration ?
That way she is sort of catching her dinner herself perhaps relying on you less ?
I have used this method myself on my FHH Izzy a few seasons back and it sorted a few niggles I had when we couldn't find enough quarry to fly at.
I feel it also made her more eager to pursue....anything !

ATB
John155
Old 13-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
Its a difficult one as what often works for one Harris won't work for another. Very often once they get killing on a regular basis a lot of the little niggles can soon disappear.
Yes it would stimulate her to tree fly and hunt in the woods. She will learn a lot and it would relieve any boredom issues. Give it a go. Maybe putting her weight up a bit and reducing it when you plan to fly maybe worth a go.
If I know that I won't be flying for a few days I usually give a bigger crop on her last kill. Then drop the weight a touch when I plan to fly next. Its all a bit of trial and error, each hawk can respond in a different manner.
Ok Iíll try that and see how she gets on, thank you for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John155 View Post
Shane

You could possibly at the end of each flying session or unsuccessful hunt bring her down to a well garnished lure then trade off and feed final ration ?
That way she is sort of catching her dinner herself perhaps relying on you less ?
I have used this method myself on my FHH Izzy a few seasons back and it sorted a few niggles I had when we couldn't find enough quarry to fly at.
I feel it also made her more eager to pursue....anything !

ATB
John155
Never thought of that, Iíll definitely give it a go thatís a really good idea. Thanks for the tip
Old 13-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Mark
Passage

Better still use a rabbit carcass,. Although there is nothing better than a genuine kill.