Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 01-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Landfill bird control

Thanks mr skinner
Old 03-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCollett View Post
thanks mr skinner
Your welcome Mr Collett
Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Brancher

After 2 days off while working away, betty sat in her mews twiddling her talons got back on site today a few crows came in as I unhooded betty they all got up she flew towards them then pulled off and pitched much to my disgust. after what seemed an eternity I thought she`s just going to sit, then she did her usual waited till I`d started to make a brew got up and powered across the site a low flight tried to smack one on the ground the crow evaded her then she put in multiple stoops and chases I lost count of how many ringing up with it stooping she eventually got to grips with it then the mobbing started at least 30 of them but after a hard flight she wasn`t ready to give it up I managed to get there in a couple of minutes shouting all the way I dispatched it let her get her breath back (and mine I was knackered ) she had a good plume traded off nicely then back to the mews for the rest of her rations and head and neck of crow. probably the best crow flight this season. hopefully mr skinner will see and put the pics up.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Pics for post 243.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Brancher

One of our urban sites is starting again so I had 5 birds to fly today, first up was Otis (peregrinegyrsaker) he flew ok it was only his 2nd flight this year he did a few circuits then came in. next was mr bates (gyrsaker) he flew quite well 2nd flight for him he drifted about then pitched got straight up to the whistle and I got 6 passes out of him . then mrs bert she always flys well, as I got betty ready I didn't bother with the gps she doesn`t go far so I just used the rt turbo big mistake, she left the glove cleared the site went out over the forest got to a good pitch put in a cracking stoop a long way off no throw up a few crows started in that direction out with the telemetry a static signal started tracking next thing she was back on the wing it wasn't the easiest track going through the forest a lot of it was bog I can`t remember how many times I tripped up but I wasn`t a happy bunny after 40 mins I caught up with her pitched in a tree she came straight down to the lure, came to the glove then grabbed my bare hand her talons are very sharp so a long walk to dripping blood everywhere in future the gps is definitely going to be used. so the time I got back dodger didn`t get flown just fed on the fist.
Old 18-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Brancher

no cigar this weekend went up to one of my better permissions on Saturday and it was a beautiful day and all 5 birds flew abysmally, first we flew dodger it was only his 3rd flight he was a bit high George worked well, but dodger was a bit wary of him refused a few slips then caught a pesky mouse and decided that was what he wanted to fly focused on the ground all the time ignoring everything else, to say I was disappointed was an under statement. put him away got Otis ready (peregrinegyrsaker) he slipped out of my hand whilst still hooded luckily he`s unfit few round a couple of times then landed on the floor I picked him up non the worse for wear thank god, and flew him properly (minus the hood) he didn`t do a great deal. then it was mr bates (gyrsaker) turn he wasn`t much better, then we flew mrs bert she would not wait on all she wanted to do was pitch so pinning all my hopes on ugly betty (peregrine saker) she promptly pitched as well ignored the whistle George flushed some towards her she had a halfhearted flight then pitched again trieded waiting her out I got bored got her up to the lure stooped her 20 times then went home.today was a lot better dodger was down a bit flew better with George but still only interested in mice. Otis and mr bates flew quite well and betty was on the wing 9 minutes got to 456ft covered 3.1 miles top speed 78mph had a knockdown and lost it on the ground, it was a wonderful vertical stoop a real delight to watch. theres a couple of pics of her on the lure with George hopefully my mate mr skinner willput them up.
Old 18-02-2018, 06:19 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
no cigar this weekend went up to one of my better permissions on Saturday and it was a beautiful day and all 5 birds flew abysmally, first we flew dodger it was only his 3rd flight he was a bit high George worked well, but dodger was a bit wary of him refused a few slips then caught a pesky mouse and decided that was what he wanted to fly focused on the ground all the time ignoring everything else, to say I was disappointed was an under statement. put him away got Otis ready (peregrinegyrsaker) he slipped out of my hand whilst still hooded luckily he`s unfit few round a couple of times then landed on the floor I picked him up non the worse for wear thank god, and flew him properly (minus the hood) he didn`t do a great deal. then it was mr bates (gyrsaker) turn he wasn`t much better, then we flew mrs bert she would not wait on all she wanted to do was pitch so pinning all my hopes on ugly betty (peregrine saker) she promptly pitched as well ignored the whistle George flushed some towards her she had a halfhearted flight then pitched again trieded waiting her out I got bored got her up to the lure stooped her 20 times then went home.today was a lot better dodger was down a bit flew better with George but still only interested in mice. Otis and mr bates flew quite well and betty was on the wing 9 minutes got to 456ft covered 3.1 miles top speed 78mph had a knockdown and lost it on the ground, it was a wonderful vertical stoop a real delight to watch. theres a couple of pics of her on the lure with George hopefully my mate mr skinner willput them up.
Terry's pics for above post.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Brancher

Flew Otis and mr bates this morning both flew ok. betty decided she`s not to keen on this urban work so went off to the country park on her own to catch a crow she was on the wing 25 mins covered 6.6 miles 378ft and 61mph after 20mins lost gps still had a signal and she was on the wing then static after 5 mins tracked her the old fashion way as I got to her gps back on she was about 1/2 mile away from site eaten the head and neck then decided to pluck it oven ready came off nicely, shame I didn't see the flight but at least she was on a kill and not just ******ed off for the fun of it. I`ll ask steve to put the pics up.
Old Today, 09:05 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
flew Otis and mr bates this morning both flew ok. betty decided she`s not to keen on this urban work so went off to the country park on her own to catch a crow she was on the wing 25 mins covered 6.6 miles 378ft and 61mph after 20mins lost gps still had a signal and she was on the wing then static after 5 mins tracked her the old fashion way as I got to her gps back on she was about 1/2 mile away from site eaten the head and neck then decided to pluck it oven ready came off nicely, shame I didn't see the flight but at least she was on a kill and not just ******ed off for the fun of it. I`ll ask steve to put the pics up.
Pics for above post.