Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 31-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Delayed start today due to heavy rain and high winds, we got out as soon as there was a break. Unfortunately we had only been in the field about 10 minutes when it started to fall again, as the ferrets were down we stood it out, after about 20 mins she had not shown bolting rabbits in the wind and rain is never easy and she was obviously holed up. As there were more earths nearby I decided to move across and try with the other ferret rather than just wait in the rain, very quickly we had a rabbit bolt ahead of us Archie was quickly away and rapidly closing on it when it holed, he over flew and landed in the first tree. He had barely regained his balance when he burst from the tree going down into the flooded mote area alongside, the ferret was readily called up and boxed. Its not easy to get where I had last seen him due to fencing so it took a few minutes to get around that side, he was not in the moat, a quick scan with the telemetry showed him to be across the track by a small lake, eventually found him at the base of a tree plucking away like mad.

As it was raining and we still had a ferret down I decided to feed him up and call it a day. Back to the earth and still no signal from the ferret so started clearing every hole and having a stamp around hoping to get a signal so I could dig for her but nothing. Another scan with the tracker and suddenly she appeared behind me heavily furred up and smothered in mud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171231B.jpg (100.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231A.jpg (99.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Shane
Brancher

Are redtail feathers good in the rain or do they get soggy quite fast?

What did Archie catch? seems he is deadly on feather from the trees
Old 02-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Are redtail feathers good in the rain or do they get soggy quite fast?

What did Archie catch? seems he is deadly on feather from the trees
Hi Shane,
He does ok in the rain for a good while the problems only really come when he starts crashing the cover, he can then get wet to a point where it is affecting his flying fairly quickly if he gets into heavy cover.
The unfortunate was a moorhen, he's always on the look out for them. They fly poorly and unless they can get under the water he invariably gets them by continued harassment forcing them out of the cover. The water in the moat at the moment is not deep enough so I guess it tried to make the lake but he would easily take it down before it could get there. Its the only feather we have had this year, he has gone after many pheasants but has not held any. Last year he was taking them without too much bother but for some reason this season he's hitting the body and they are getting away, he's taking lots of feathers but not getting a telling grip. His talons are sharp, he footed me in frustration a few weeks back and sliced me open nicely so that's not the reason, when I watch him I think he's slamming into them like he does rabbits. it does not put him off and he has even tried taking them down when they are 20 foot in the air, he follows them for until they put in and we try to re-flush them but usually they have disappeared in the cover which is a same as he'd possibly have a better chance now they have used a lot of energy. A good few weeks of the season yet so hopefully may get a chance at some more if the shoots don't take them all first.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Shane
Brancher

good luck and hope you manage to catch a few before the season is over!

Been watching quite a few hawking videos where pheasants keep getting away. Would have thought they were easy to hang on to than hares but a large percentage manage to wriggle free

All the best and happy new year mate!
Old 06-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Finally managed to get out this week, was very foggy at start of the day but it cleared and we went back to the vineyard as we didn't trouble the rabbits when we there last. i normally allow him to fly the hedgerows before we start ferreting but there were a lot of dogs about so decided to go into one of the fields and see if we could get any action. after about 5mins we had a bolt to our right which went in a big circle around us as it headed for the earth under the nearest hedgerow. Archie was quickly away and rapidly gained on it before it could get there and just as he was going in it suddenly stopped and ducked and he went straight over the top of it sort of cartwheeling into the ground as he tried to grab at it, that was enough to allow it to get to safety. He quickly recalled to the glove and we were back in place but nothing, the ferret eventually surfaced so i moved off to the next earth, which was empty, so we went out further into the field and in she went again, a few minutes and again a bolt to our right this time heading for a big stand of poplars, it made it there just before him and as it slowed to go through the fence he slammed in taking just behind the head abit of a trash about but he quickly had the other foot clean in the face and managed to hold it aginst the trunk of the tree. Despatched and moved them out into the open, just then the ferret showed so i ran back and boxed her. I'd had a call abit earlier about a harris thats loose so we headed back to look for her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180106A.jpg (92.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Passage

Great write up. Well done on the rabbit. Did you find the harris?
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Great write up. Well done on the rabbit. Did you find the harris?
Eventually spotted her but not interested in coming to the glove so will try to get her feeding there, the lady who reported her is very keen to help so have left some chicks.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Passage

Fingers crossed for a safe retrieval
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Another week were we have been restricted by the weather, I have been flying him at home for exercise every evening as a last resort just trying to keep a little fitness.
Friday we finally had a chance but we only got two to bolt, the first went straight into a hedgerow and ran along it until it found another hole. The second went up across into the wind and just holed as he went in and left him standing at the entrance looking in.
The next earth was very small and the ferret was quickly in contact and we kept seeing her backing out of the hole and then back in. Eventually the rabbit burst out but cartwheeled over and that's when we saw the ferret firmly attached, fortunately I had not slipped Archie and I turned him away. The car was fairly close by so I quickly boxed him and returned to the earth, I could see them scuffling as I ran back but they disappeared back down the hole. The tracker showed where they were and I started to dig in when suddenly the signal changed and I spotted the rabbit at another hole. I quickly grabbed it and pulled them both out, I dispatched the rabbit and waited till the jill calmed down, she was non the worse for the battle.
Tried several earths after that but all empty so called it a day as it was getting dark.

Had planned to be out early Saturday but the rain was really heavy, there was no sign of it letting up and I was considering feeding him up but decided to drive to a woodland in the hope of some cover. We started working a really large earth under a derelict pheasant pen and eventually got a runner, it was about 20 feet in front and to the right of us. It set off up across the open ground and Archie slammed into it just before it reached the next holes some 25m away, I considered carrying on so he could get some more exercise but he had got fairly wet already so decided to call it a day. As we walked back the rain started falling much heavier so probably the right decision. Hoping for better weather tomorrow and next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120B.jpg (84.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120A.jpg (86.8 KB, 15 views)