Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 03-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Egg

Cool Falcon v owl advise

So, I have been doing lots of research for past few months now and a few things I can’t seem to find an answer to online or in books so figured to ask here for a ‘discussion’ since I guess everyone will have different opinions. Please bare in mind I am in the UK as I guess it is an international forum.

For falconry hunting wise, which Owl 🦉 would be the most all rounder? I been reading a lot about eagle/beagle owls, barn owls and horned owls..

Same question for falcons such as merlin, kestrels and so forth? (Not hawks) I guess the peregrine falls into this category but I mean everything but them as I guess they’re the best all rounders.

I’m seeking really to know which is the:
Easiest to train?
Hunts the most quarry/prey?
Quickest in flight?
The most enjoyable to work alongside? (I guess that question is depending on bird to bird)
Also best time to hunt either owl / falcon?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.. but I can’t find any of that information online as it’s just about one not ALL together or personal experience from real people!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Default Re: Falcon v owl advise

Azton,

The Harris' hawk is social and the easiest to train and hawk in the US. They bond to you within a short period of time even when wild caught. One of your female European goshawks would be a nice one too perhaps parent raised.

The owls are difficult to enter and would not be suggested for a beginner.

The falcons are dependent upon the prey base so if you have duck the peregrine would be a good one. We like the aplomado for quail and small birds they too are social and tend to bond to the falconer.

Of course others will see this differently. Just ignore them.

Harry.