Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Egg

Default Manning tips

Hi,

So everyone talks about manning and we all know what we mean by it, but how do you do it, do you have your own method.

How long for each time, how often, before or after you feed the bird and any other tips you have learnt.

Many thanks.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Egg

Default Re: Manning tips

Awaiting experts's opinions
Old 09-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Haggard

I dont do any manning as you might understand it , i just feed ,train or fly the bird
Thats the only time i pick them up, they man themselves as they progress in their training and the only dealings they have with me in general are related to positive times

Many years ago i used to be in the TV manning club,i know people enjoy that ,and if thats the case good on them

I've found that working with the bird achieves the same ,particularly with hh and i dont want pet falcons
Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Shaun,

Agreed. We man our passage hawks only enough to have them come to the fist and lure and then man while flying.

Harry.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Kurt
Brancher

I also agree from a certain point. But when you pick up a parent reared goshawk there are many stages before you can train or even feed the bird etc. Waking or taking several days with intervals of putting the bird back on the perch. I find the first days are very important to build a good foundation. I start in a sort of slow mo movements mode. Handle but almost ignore the bird to make him feel safe. Presenting food as if it came falling from the sky...I don't lower the weight more than needed to make the bird eat. Even if he eats small bits at a time. Food is more or less all the time available. Etc.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I also agree from a certain point. But when you pick up a parent reared goshawk there are many stages before you can train or even feed the bird etc. Waking or taking several days with intervals of putting the bird back on the perch. I find the first days are very important to build a good foundation. I start in a sort of slow mo movements mode. Handle but almost ignore the bird to make him feel safe. Presenting food as if it came falling from the sky...I don't lower the weight more than needed to make the bird eat. Even if he eats small bits at a time. Food is more or less all the time available. Etc.
I can agree that accipiters usually need a more labored approach i guess the way i approach it is if i pick a fresh bird up and try to feed and it doesn't i put it back down until such times as it does, i see time wasted in waiting is well just that, wasted, and not a positive reinforcement for the bird ,in fact possibly detrimental ,if you deal with them only around business they relate to you as meaning business i e reward and pleasant experiences,and every step progressive once theyre working for food then the process is remarkably quick,i also do as you say letting the bird eat in the early days even if not on the fist as it settles and becomes used to its new environment ,this aspect is important for falcons who soon use up valuable weight if you follow the traditional route and its hard to get that back on in the first year and for accipiters in terms of stress induced illness
Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Kurt
Brancher

Great post thx
Old 11-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramley01 View Post
Hi,

So everyone talks about manning and we all know what we mean by it, but how do you do it, do you have your own method.

How long for each time, how often, before or after you feed the bird and any other tips you have learnt.

Many thanks.
I agree with the above that once out flying a Harris pretty much mans itself !

My FHH Izzy will feed on glove at pretty much any weight if hungry enough even moulting ect so we miss that step and go straight to jumping leash length then creance.
We only stay on line a couple of days just to confirm she will come line length then just fly free and man on the move.
I have had her a 6 seasons so she knows the game !

In our first seasons I was accused by Andy my mentor of over manning her which I was surprised by as I thought the more the better.

I man more before a training session then reward and put away so last memory is always good one.

As a tool for manning I personally like to use Tirings as it gives the bird something to do whilst sat there on the fist plus I like to watch a hawk messing about plucking and pulling at the bits.
Izzy has always liked it and if it works for us we use it.

ATB
John155
Old 11-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Egg

I just want to give my own perspective that worked for me.manning for me,means making the bird live around people especially little kids.there is a big difference in manning an adult bop caught in the wild because they tend to be more aggresive and can attack you without notice.the bop also needs to realise it cant have any food without you.some bops caught in the wild can even take 3months to mann.by giving it food for about 2-3weeks,it begins to recognise you.if the bop grabs the food and takes steps away from you,you still need to be cautious.but if it takes the food and stays right there,then you can begin to touch it,starting from its feet.before you start patting it on the back.if you patt it on its back,and it continues eating then you have made great progress.then you can introduce the glove and the lure.very yours truly femi falcon.
Old 14-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femi Falcon View Post
I just want to give my own perspective that worked for me.manning for me,means making the bird live around people especially little kids.there is a big difference in manning an adult bop caught in the wild because they tend to be more aggresive and can attack you without notice.the bop also needs to realise it cant have any food without you.some bops caught in the wild can even take 3months to mann.by giving it food for about 2-3weeks,it begins to recognise you.if the bop grabs the food and takes steps away from you,you still need to be cautious.but if it takes the food and stays right there,then you can begin to touch it,starting from its feet.before you start patting it on the back.if you patt it on its back,and it continues eating then you have made great progress.then you can introduce the glove and the lure.very yours truly femi falcon.
Didn't know anything but you make me clear.