Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 AM
Brancher

Default Microsensory GPS stuff

I have received some data, prices and planned first delivery dates from Microsensory for their GPS based hawk location products.

RTS Mini: GPS tag with Direct Radio Link (DRL) and UHF beep.---$433

RTS Mini full: GPS tag with Cell Phone link (GSM), DRL, and UHF beep---$554

Solar Panel Option: solar charger for tag---$167

Micro Trainer: DRL receiver with Bluetooth link to Android phone or tablet for moving map display---$389

Complete Kit: RTS Mini Full tag. "Micro Find" DRL receiver with color touch screen control/display (no moving map), UHF beep receiver capability and Bluetooth link to Android phone or tablet for moving map display.---$1394

RTS Mini tags available now
RTS Mini Full tags available now
Micro Trainer available mid September
Micro Find receiver available mid October

Discussion:
To access the moving map function you will need an Android phone or tablet.
To use the Cell Phone Link of the RTS Mini Full you will need a GSM subscription for each tag plus an Android phone.
If you already have UHF beep receiver capability you can buy the RTS mini and the Micro Trainer and have a system similar to the Marshall system for $821.
For an additional $123 you could substitute an RTS Mini Full tag and include Cell Phone Link capability.
If you do not currently have a UHF beep receiver the "Micro Find" receiver in the "Complete Kit" will give you GPS by DRL and UHF beep reception without having to purchase a separate beep receiver. You still need a phone to access the Cell Phone Link.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert
Old 09-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Ronan
Brancher

Default Re: Microsensory GPS stuff

Hi Thomas,
Have you any idea how much a GSM subscription costs in Ireland for a tag and if there are additional roaming charges?
Regards.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:36 AM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabhac View Post
Hi Thomas,
Have you any idea how much a GSM subscription costs in Ireland for a tag and if there are additional roaming charges?
Regards.
Ronan,

you can either have a sim card ready installed when you buy the transmitter and pay what Microsensory charge for the service, (contact Xavier Morel, very nice guy, sales manager xabirds@gmail.com ) or you can install your own sim when it arrives.

Paul
Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Ronan
Brancher

Thank you Paul,
Regards.
Old 30-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Egg

Cheers!

Couple days ago I got my Rts mini (not the full version). At the moment I am getting familiar with it, wich is not difficult at all. On my scale it weighs in at 15 Gramm.

The SIM card i bought is from a regular Austrian provider wich has the best coverage, so the tests on the internet say. The SIM card costs €2.- also I bought a €10 credit for it. Now I can send over 6000 requests.....no fix costs no subscription.

Programmed the sim in a minute on a cellphone, put it in the transmitter, charge transmitter, off we go! Write SMS with the text "locate" to the transmitter phone nr. After 2 minutes a SMS returns with some date like the amount of SMS left on the credit, battery status in %, speed of bird, height above sea level, course, and the coordinates.

Also a link wich opens in google Maps and shows the location of the bird, about 10 meters exactly.

I use the rts with my Marshall uhf on 434.050 yesterday I reached very good coverage over 10 km with the transmitter mounted at 2 m above ground, trees an buildings in between. Guess ist can reach way more than that becomes the beep was loud and clear.

I didn't shut it of yesterday, it is still mounted at 2 meters above ground. Radio works perfectly and gps/GSM is now in battery saving mode. It is only connected for 10 min every full hour. If I send a "locate" SMS it won't respond until some minutes after a full hour. I tried it at 10:30, the location SMS came back at 11.04. perfect!

I will let it run until the battery dies. After that I think I am ready to use it on my bird. The only thing I want to recommend to microsensory is: get a better homepage, why on earth is this product so hard to find....

All the best

Leo
Old 30-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoBleeker View Post
Cheers!

Couple days ago I got my Rts mini (not the full version). At the moment I am getting familiar with it, wich is not difficult at all. On my scale it weighs in at 15 Gramm.

The SIM card i bought is from a regular Austrian provider wich has the best coverage, so the tests on the internet say. The SIM card costs Ç2.- also I bought a Ç10 credit for it. Now I can send over 6000 requests.....no fix costs no subscription.

Programmed the sim in a minute on a cellphone, put it in the transmitter, charge transmitter, off we go! Write SMS with the text "locate" to the transmitter phone nr. After 2 minutes a SMS returns with some date like the amount of SMS left on the credit, battery status in %, speed of bird, height above sea level, course, and the coordinates.

Also a link wich opens in google Maps and shows the location of the bird, about 10 meters exactly.

I use the rts with my Marshall uhf on 434.050 yesterday I reached very good coverage over 10 km with the transmitter mounted at 2 m above ground, trees an buildings in between. Guess ist can reach way more than that becomes the beep was loud and clear.

I didn't shut it of yesterday, it is still mounted at 2 meters above ground. Radio works perfectly and gps/GSM is now in battery saving mode. It is only connected for 10 min every full hour. If I send a "locate" SMS it won't respond until some minutes after a full hour. I tried it at 10:30, the location SMS came back at 11.04. perfect!

I will let it run until the battery dies. After that I think I am ready to use it on my bird. The only thing I want to recommend to microsensory is: get a better homepage, why on earth is this product so hard to find....

All the best

Leo
Good review Leo. I agree with the last paragraph. Xavier Morel is great to deal with but if you want to find out about the system options, prices, specifications etc Microsensory does not make it easy. An online shop with easy payment options would be a good idea too!
Old 30-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Egg

Totally man! I mean Xavier was very reliable in answering all my questions and the device was delivered only a couple of days after I payed it. No problem, but I think they could reach so much more people when the put some effort in marketing, Webshop and translation from Spanish and flamish to English.

It all in all, I think it's hard to beat their product man, worldwide coverage is just satisfying
Old 31-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Egg

After 33 hours I have 48% battery left.
Old 31-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoBleeker View Post
After 33 hours I have 48% battery left.
I did a test once. Started Monday evening. On the Friday evening 20% battery left.
Old 31-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Egg

In this 33 Hours i send 3 requests, did you ask for position in your test?