Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Law, Exams, Land, Weather & Trapping

Old 17-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Ognen - Section Moderator
Passage

Default Re: UNESCO "FALCONRY is a Living Human Heritage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastreb View Post
Exactly guys and if something is pronounced as Living Human Heritage under UNESCO than we are part of living heritage and who ever tries to tell anything against falconry he is speaking against Living Human Heritage under UNESCO protection.

Falconry is true Living Human Heritage

Cheers Viktor

I agree Viktor,

CONGRATS to all the falconers
Old 17-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Jannes Kruger
Haggard

This is fantastic news. I'm truly proud to be a falconer today! Not diminishing the roles other countries played in this, I'm also very proud to be a resident of the UAE.

Thank you to everyone who has laboured to help preserve the sport we all love so dearly.
Old 17-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty605 View Post
i have to say it is good news but i am not really sure what the benefits are of such recognition especially for those countries that didnt have any representation.
As I said its a milestone for falconry and I for one would appreciate it if admin or one of the moderators could make this thread "sticky".

I believe all falconers on this forum need to be aware of the honour and the subsequent responsibility that this places on falconers shoulders to practise our art/sport/passion/heritage to the highest standards. Below I'm including a quote by our very own Rene which to my mind is the most important post to ever grace the pages of the IFF and should be enshrined in every falconry clubs constitution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennelre View Post
Because.......every time any one of us picks up a bird we are not only responsible for what we do in relation to our own bird, but also to the entire history and the entire future of falconry. We are, each of us, electing to take responsibility for something which has been practiced long before we were born and which will continue long after we die. If we cannot be true to the obligation to secure it for the future by virtue of the way we practice it in the present....then we have no right to call ourselves falconers and we are entirely disgraced by our ineptitude. Do it properly or don't do it at all.
...Rene.
With kind permission I'm including part of an email sent by the Chairman of SAFA and the Executive Secretary of the IAF Dr. Adrian Lombard below:

"Dear ExCo Member

Yesterday evening, in Nairobi, the UNESCO Directorate for Intangible Cultural Heritage recognized Falconry as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

This is a momentous decision which will go a long way to ensuring the future of Falconry as it calls on Governments to protect and promote the Art of Falconry.

We can count 16th November 2010 as one of the most momentous days in the 4000 year old history of Falconry. This is the culmination of an enormous international effort over the past 6 years and I wish to share this success with all of you.

I attach the Declaration as well as a Press Release which you may share with any members of the press whom you have a contact.
Adrian Lombard" (highlights add SANBOPC)

Trevor
Old 17-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Jannes Kruger
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANBoPC View Post
As I said its a milestone for falconry and I for one would appreciate it if admin or one of the moderators could make this thread "sticky".

I believe all falconers on this forum need to be aware of the honour and the subsequent responsibility that this places on falconers shoulders to practise our art/sport/passion/heritage to the highest standards. Below I'm including a quote by our very own Rene which to my mind is the most important post to ever grace the pages of the IFF and should be enshrined in every falconry clubs constitution:

With kind permission I'm including part of an email sent by the Chairman of SAFA and the Executive Secretary of the IAF Dr. Adrian Lombard below:

"Dear ExCo Member

Yesterday evening, in Nairobi, the UNESCO Directorate for Intangible Cultural Heritage recognized Falconry as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

This is a momentous decision which will go a long way to ensuring the future of Falconry as it calls on Governments to protect and promote the Art of Falconry.

We can count 16th November 2010 as one of the most momentous days in the 4000 year old history of Falconry. This is the culmination of an enormous international effort over the past 6 years and I wish to share this success with all of you.

I attach the Declaration as well as a Press Release which you may share with any members of the press whom you have a contact.
Adrian Lombard" (highlights add SANBOPC)

Trevor
Gives me goosebumps!
Old 17-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Ognen - Section Moderator
Passage

We should celebrate this date - 16.11.2010

Today I am very proud to be a falconer. We are the few who carry on the ancient art of hunting with trained birds of prey.
Old 17-11-2010, 09:40 AM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Good news. I hope that as falconry evolves and new avenues are explored, the standards, principles and ideals of the art continue to be preserved and valued.

Johny
Old 17-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
This is fantastic news. I'm truly proud to be a falconer today! Not diminishing the roles other countries played in this, I'm also very proud to be a resident of the UAE.

Thank you to everyone who has laboured to help preserve the sport we all love so dearly.
Indeed Jannes a very proud day for falconers - I for one hence forth will declare the 16th of November a holiday, which will be the only day I celebrate, as I reflect on my falconry journey, past hawks, late falconer friends and all things that are good.

For various reasons many country's submission were not "officially" recognised but they all played a very important part in securing us this honour and recognition.

Trev
Old 17-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Section Moderator
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokoly View Post
We should celebrate this date - 16.11.2010

Today I am very proud to be a falconer. We are the few who carry on the ancient art of hunting with trained birds of prey.
We are proposing that at the Spanish Falconry Forum. November 16th should be declared the International day for Falconry.
Old 17-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Viktor - Moderator
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty605 View Post
just out of interest and of topic im afraid but where in croatia are you
You mean my town in Croatia?

BTW we already have our national part:

http://falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95761

Cheers Viktor

Croatian Goshawker
Old 17-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

I thought some might like to read this PDF file to better understand our heritage.

http://www.falconryheritage.org/uplo...sentations.pdf

Trevor