Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Law, Exams, Land, Weather & Trapping

Old 29-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Bill
Passage

Default Re: Peregrine Take Letters Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrootDog View Post
Man the more I talk to you guys up north the more I like MN. Y'all need to come down here and fix our screwed up falconry system since the powers that be don't seem to be making any progress.

Let see,it has been -20f for something like 16-18 days. Been nice for a few days and now is going back to the deep freeze.......I'll be right down .LOL
Old 29-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Brancher

70 this morning here, Bill, but we'll drop dramatically to 60 tomorrow. Oh, and my peach trees are getting ready to bloom. Actually we'll have cold weather again (for about 4 more weeks.) Cold being in the 40's. Burr. LOL!
Old 29-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Bill
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFalconer View Post
70 this morning here, Bill, but we'll drop dramatically to 60 tomorrow. Oh, and my peach trees are getting ready to bloom. Actually we'll have cold weather again (for about 4 more weeks.) Cold being in the 40's. Burr. LOL!
Thats so,so,............cruel! LOL
Old 29-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Karen Carroll
Passage

I thought the numbers high, but I used the NAFA talking points stats. I felt that probably around 500 bird will be the average take. Well, we all support that we can take peregrines. Lets get those letters out.

NAFA members, go to the website and get the talking points PDFs from the members only page.

I've asked the NAFA powers that be to publish their stance outside of the members only section so that others can comment. We will see.
Old 29-01-2008, 03:34 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

Again, the IMPORTANT thing to do is to write your letter supporting a take of passage peregrines. I got an email from the THA this morning. I'm assuming everyone in the THA got it. Anyway John Graham, the THA president, wrote an outstanding letter to USFWS on the subject. If everyone would just take a few moments to organize their thoughts and plagerize a little we could have some excellent letters.

I will say I don't know how much weight all these letters carry. Sometimes I get the feeling the USFWS does what it pleases unless it's threatened with a law suit.

Anyway get your letter out there! Even an, "I support a take of passage peregrines for falconry" works. Anything is so much better than nothing.
Old 29-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Greg Mikkelson
Haggard

It doesn't hurt that ppl from over seas write letters either!! Come on guys give us a hand!!!

Greg
Old 29-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Karen Carroll
Passage

I personally would like for excess peregrines to be allowed to be taken by overseas falconers. Just give us a 'first shot' and a 'lottery' type of system for overseas falconer (with a US falconer supervision, like the eagle take regs are now).
Old 29-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellBrad View Post
Again, the IMPORTANT thing to do is to write your letter supporting a take of passage peregrines. I got an email from the THA this morning. I'm assuming everyone in the THA got it. Anyway John Graham, the THA president, wrote an outstanding letter to USFWS on the subject. If everyone would just take a few moments to organize their thoughts and plagerize a little we could have some excellent letters.

I will say I don't know how much weight all these letters carry. Sometimes I get the feeling the USFWS does what it pleases unless it's threatened with a law suit.

Anyway get your letter out there! Even an, "I support a take of passage peregrines for falconry" works. Anything is so much better than nothing.
Below is a copy of what John wrote and sent out to THA members- it is very well written:

Chief, Division of Migratory Birds
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 North Fairfax Drive , Room 634
Arlington , VA 22203-1610

Dear Sir:

I am writing you today concerning the comments to the Draft Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (DEA) for the take of migration peregrine falcons for their use in the sport of falconry. As President of the Texas Hawking Association I would like to commend the USFWS for taking this proposed action to allow the take of passage peregrine falcons which your agency no longer considers endangered or threaten in North America. Falconers throughout the U.S. appreciate the USFWS for taking these steps that will allow a future take of passage peregrine falcons that had been part of our sports rich history. Having read the DEA, along with the various alternatives that have been suggested, we, the Texas Hawking Association, support a take of passage peregrine falcons throughout the entire United States.

In North America today, peregrine falcons have recovered above pre-DDT estimates. In fact since 1999, when the peregrine was removed from the federal list of threatened and endangered species, the peregrine population in the U.S. has more than doubled and is now several times larger than the recovery goal and the historic pre-DDT population. To add, migration data suggests that the population of arctic peregrines has increased ten-fold since the 1970's. Please keep in mind that falconry has been shown to also have no significant effect on wild raptor populations according to USFWS latest FONSI. Furthermore, studies have shown that passage raptors taken for falconry and released the following spring have a much better chance of survival. These facts alone will support the take of passage peregrine falcons for falconry in the U.S. today and into the future. The Texas Hawking Association would like to see the management of the peregrine falcon for falconry consistent with other regulations concerning any other healthy raptor population. For these reasons the Texas Hawking Association supports the take of passage peregrine falcons anywhere in the U.S.

The FWS provided six different alternatives in this peregrine take DEA seeking comments from the public. After carefully reviewing all the pertinent information included in the DEA the Texas Hawking Association supports Alternative #6 that allows the take of passage peregrine falcons between the dates of September 20th and October 20th of any given year from anywhere within the U.S. However, with the current trends showing significant increases to the peregrine populations, we feel the proposed amount of 34 peregrines is much too restrictive, even by USFWS standards. This comment is based on your own words, "...our explicit management goal is to allow a harvest of up to 5% of minimum annual production of Northern peregrines, which far exceeds 34 migrants." The USFWS continues with comments stating all calculations are conservative numbers which seems that additional calculations to derive even more conservative numbers in the face of increasing numbers is not warranted. That being said, the Texas Hawking Association would like to see allowed take of artic peregrines falcons be a minimum of 183 each season.

Adaptive management considerations of the take of peregrine falcons for falconry purposes in the future should be reviewed every three years (as opposed to the five year interval proposed in the DEA) in keeping with the current peregrine population survey schedule. In addition, the USFWS does not monitor or regulate the take of peregrines outside of the U.S. The figures that are being used by USFWS for the take of passage peregrine in Canada and Mexico should be removed from consideration in the DEA.

Thank you for your careful consideration of the above comments on the Draft Environmental Assessment and Management Plan for the take of migrant peregrine falcons from the wild for use in falconry.

Sincerely,

John Graham, President
Texas Hawking Association
Old 29-01-2008, 05:05 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

At this moment there are 109 registered users on line. FalconryDEA@fws.gov Minus those who have written their letters. Lets say, off the top of my head, 20 people out of this 109 have written their letters to FalconryDEA@fws.gov then there are a whole bunch more letters out there which are unwritten. So please support falconry by sending a letter to FalconryDEA@fws.gov saying you support a take of passage peregrines for falconry. I don't know how much weight a letter from another country carries but it sure can't hurt.

Look at it this way, it's a win win situation for everyone. Someone in some country somewhere might look at the US take and just consider a wild take of raptors.

On the surface this is a USA thing but in reality it will affect falconers world wide. Be positive folks. At one time there were people in state and Federal agencies saying, "Over my dead body!" when presented with the possibility one day falconers would again be able to catch, train, fly, keep forever or release at the end of the season passage peregrine falcons. We've come a long way since the peregrine was put on the Endangered list in the 70's.

If you don't write your letter I feel sorry for the falconry community worldwide.

Brad
Old 30-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Passage

Screw NAFA and their top secret BS. If they have a problem with me posting this then they have issues. This is something beyond password protected pages that all falconers should have access to. We need everyone's help not just NAFA members.

Dear NAFA Member,
These are exciting times for American falconers! For the first time in roughly 40 years, we are on
The verge of having federal regulations that will allow for the take of a falconry raptor of iconic
Proportions, the passage peregrine falcon.
Please find enclosed a sample letter for submission to the US Fish and Wildlife Service (Service)
Advocating for the take of passage peregrine falcons for falconry purposes. I want to emphasize
That we need an overwhelming response during this comment period. Everyone and their mother
Who is a falconer or a friend of falconry must send a letter in to the US Fish and Wildlife Service
Supporting this take. I also want to emphasize that the letters sent should be individually written
And that simple “form letters”, such as copying the enclosed letter exactly, do not carry much
Weight with the Service. We have also included a set of bulleted talking points that NAFA
Members and their friends can use to shape their individual letters to the Service. Please use one
Or more of the bulleted talking points in your letter to the Service to create an individual response
Regarding the take. An important point is to make sure you clearly state early in your letter that
You support the take of passage peregrine falcons in the US for falconry, no matter what
Option you might advocate in your personal letter to the Service. Comments must be received by
The closing date of February 11, 2008.
Please address your comment letter to:
4401 North Fairfax Drive, Room 634
Arlington, VA 22203-1610
Alternately you may submit your comments electronically to: FalconryDEA@fws.gov .
We are providing this information to make it as easy as possible for you, as a NAFA member, to
Be part of the American process of participating in getting new rules to allow for an expansion of
Our falconry opportunities in America. Any legal expansion of falconry rules, based on sound
Biological science, is a benefit to all falconers everywhere. Whether you plan on flying a passage
Peregrine in the future or not, you can be part of this historic process; please don’t let it slip by.
We will also post this information on the NAFA website in the Members area. NAFA will be
Working with the Service to address the total number of passage birds allowed to be taken
Annually to get the highest biologically sound number possible for American falconers!
This is an area that NAFA and NAFA members have been working on for many years
Encompassing thousands of hours to get to this point. We can see the light at the end of this
Tunnel. If each and every one of you receiving this letter simply takes 15 minutes to create a letter
To the USFWS supporting a passage take of peregrine falcons for falconry within the US, I’m sure
We can get this accomplished for ourselves and for American falconers yet to be!
Sincerely,
Dan Cecchini, Jr.
NAFA, President-elect

Sample Letter
[Enter Date Here]
4401 North Fairfax Drive, Room 634
Arlington, VA 22203-1610
Re: Draft Environmental Assessment and Management Plan (DEA) for take of migrant peregrine falcons
(Falco peregrinus) in the United States for Use in falconry.
Dear Sir:
Please accept the following comments relating to the Draft Environmental Assessment and Management Plan
(DEA) for the take of migration peregrine falcons for Use in falconry. I support a take of passage peregrine falcons
From anywhere in the US. I appreciate and commend the proposed action by the USFWS to allow a take of
Migrating (passage) peregrines for falconry as the peregrine is no longer considered endangered or threatened by
The USFWS in North America. [Insert here a brief explanation of your falconry experiences or interests.]
Examples:
I have been a falconer, biologist, breeder, rehabber, etc., for …
I have had an interest in, raptors, falconry, migratory birds, hunting, etc. for …
As all peregrine populations in N. America have recovered to levels above pre-DDT estimates, I support allowing
The take of passage peregrines in the U.S. without geographical restrictions, as falconry has been shown to have no
Negative impact on wild raptor populations and I would like to see peregrine management for falconry consistent
With regulations for any other healthy raptor population.
I have reviewed the DEA and support the idea suggested in Alternative 6 allowing take of first-year migrant
Peregrine falcons between 20 September and 20 October from anywhere in the U.S. However, I believe that to limit
The take to 34 birds annually is much too restrictive. The current population trend is higher and continues to show
Increases. Additionally, due to those increasing numbers, I would guess that the east coast states have a lower
Concern about impacts to their “resident” peregrine populations being impacted. I would like to see a permitted take
For falconry of at least 183 arctic peregrines. I base this on the DEA’s words of “…our explicit management goal is
To allow a harvest of up to 5% of minimum annual production of Northern peregrines, which is 183 migrants.” It is
Well stated that all calculations are conservative and it seems that the additional calculations to derive even more
Conservative numbers in the face of increasing numbers in not warranted. In addition, I would like to see the take
Of nestling (eyas) anatum peregrines for falconry in the western states expanded to include any fledged or first-year
Birds of any subspecies. Combined, these two modifications to Alternative 6 will:
ensure continued adequate protection of peregrine falcon populations in North America,
supply the anticipated demand for passage peregrines by the falconry community, and
reduce the administrative burden of implementing the program.
As you know, falconers have a long history of using passage peregrines in falconry. The arctic subspecies was first
Described by falconers from birds taken on Assateague Island. It will be another true environmental success story in
America for falconers to again be able to take passage peregrines in the U.S. and I appreciate the USFWS efforts in
Helping to make this possible.
Thank you for your consideration of the above comments on DEA for the take of migrating peregrine falcons for
Use in falconry.
Sincerely,
[Your Name Here]