Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Law, Exams, Land, Weather & Trapping

Old 26-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Club Representative
Passage

Default Registration review, more changes anounced

For those of you who have not heard, Scotland and Wales are not going to follow England with the revision of species that require registration within schedule four, for now.
As of October 1st, if you are in Wales or Scotland, all the 59 species and their hybrids that were the subject of registration, will still require registration with Animal Health, but with a few changes.

ENGLAND and WALES

1/ Animal Health will no longer issue rings for ANY species requiring registration in England and Wales. it is now down to the breeders to source their own closed rings for captive bred hawks.
2/ Breeders are responsible for ensuring that their rings are uniquely numbered for the purpose of registration (remember my previous post about using post codes etc).
3/ If a ring number is duplicated by another breeder, the breeder who first registers the ring number will be issued a blue registration form, but all others with the same number will be required to have the hawks micro chipped and the registration papers will be issues on the micro chip number.

SCOTLAND

Animal Health will continue to issue closed rings for captive bred hawks until amended legislation is introduced.

Transferring hawks.

If a breeder in England sells a hawk that requires registration to a person in Wales or Scotland, the breeder is required to inform the purchaser that they need to apply for registration documents from Animal Health.

Graham
Old 26-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Terry Burden - Professional Breeder/Admin
Haggard

Default Re: Registration review, more changes anounced

Graham, I received the same information by post this morning and was going to write it up but you have beaten me to it

I have been on the phone to Animal Health this morning for an hour or more I then tried to contact Jim Chick & Nick Fox as there are other issues that need to be raised with Animal Health on a more official basis but they are both unavailable at the moment. I will not go into full detail at the moment but these issues are

Hybrids and the illegal charges levied on Falconers/Breeders for the last 20 years. Will they refund our payments for this?

Scotland (and Wales to some extent) The legality of hunting and flying your Bird outside England and the requirement of Registration in these countries and Animal Heath refusing to issue Registration for species that are being removed from the schedule thus making it an offence to hunt there. I understand that Scotland are saying they will turn a blind eye against the offences for the time being but whispers across the corridor are not what we need, it has to be an official/legal view

Art10's and CITES certs
why are they going to charge Exporters 3 times the cost to issue a document that has exactly the same info on as the Art 10 I want to see justification for this.

Registration costs,
with almost all Raptors being removed from the schedule the costing for England should be lower than the original figures that were given by Animal Health as the size of the section would have been reduced thus cost of running the section lower, however because Scotland and Wales have at this time decided not to fall in line with England the registration section will remain the same so effectively English Falconers/Breeders will be penalised by having to pay for this to continue if you have a Goshawk or a Golden Eagle we will have to pay an inflated price to allow for the work being done on behalf of Scotland and Wales. Whilst I have every sympathy for the keepers outside of England I do not see why I should have to pay extra money out to help my competitors. If Scotland and Wales want to continue with their Registration System then they should set it up and run their own, why should the English Animal Health run it for them and then want to charge us for it?

It should be noted that both Scotland and Wales have said that they will follow England and de-register but they have not given a time scale for this to happen.

Terry

Old 26-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Haggard

Further to the above I have just received a call from Animal Health.
Scotland will be issuing temporary exemptions to cover the time Falconers spend in Scotland, this may well be free or could also attract a small fee to cover costs we do not have an answer yet. The exemption will have dates so it may be better to apply for a longer period than you need to cover a delay in leaving as if your exemption runs out you will then be breaking the law.

Scotland have also said that by the time full cost recovery comes into force for Registration April or October 2009 that they will have fallen into line with England and de-registered the same species. Wales have yet to reply but this is good news for Scottish Falconers and breeders and I am sure Wales will also fall into line with us.

I will try to get a phone number and address for where to make your applications and will update as soon as I have the details
Terry

Old 26-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Haggard

I have just managed to contact Jim Chick (HB Chairman) who is currently in Scotland on the moor.
It would appear that Scotland have now issued a letter confirming the above but it would appear the Temporary Exemption will only be required if you are staying for more than 2 weeks at a time. so this is even better news.
Terry

Old 26-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Zoe Jones
Passage

How difficult is life going to be for those living/hawking their birds on the boarders? (In one country one second and in the other the next?)
Old 22-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned
Passage

Agree with above post
Old 22-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by James MorrisonToxic2 View Post
agree with above post