Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 04-07-2017, 01:11 AM
Egg

Default What are the greatest joys of falconry??

Why do you falconry? I know why I am interested. I am looking to enjoying an outdoor activity with my 12 year old daughter and doing something that we both have a love and affection for. But why have you stuck with falconry? What keeps you hunting year in and year out? What is most satisfying to you?

Thanks,

L.T.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: What are the greatest joys of falconry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltehs63 View Post
Why do you falconry? I know why I am interested. I am looking to enjoying an outdoor activity with my 12 year old daughter and doing something that we both have a love and affection for. But why have you stuck with falconry? What keeps you hunting year in and year out? What is most satisfying to you?

Thanks,

L.T.
That's a great question and one which I expect should receive a lot of different answers. The main reason why I love Falconry is being the spectator to the bird hunting as it would do in the wild. I feel closer to nature and Falconry gives that opportunity to watch a Raptor hunt regularly that you're unlikely to see in the wild. Whilst a lot are very against the idea of the bird having affection for the Falconer, there is definitely some sort of bond their between you and the bird. They are almost like your colleague in the field. That's the way I see it anyway. I hope you get a few more answers as it's an interesting question & topic!

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Haggard

Watching a fit falcon chase a gull in a stiff breeze lots of stoops hopefully a bind if not to come straight back into lure to be fed
Old 04-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned
Passage

A reason to stay out the house all day and pretend you have no phone signal
Old 04-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
A reason to stay out the house all day and pretend you have no phone signal
That good is it mate?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltehs63 View Post

Thanks,

L.T.
A passion. An enduring passion.

It's impossible to tell who'll retain the passion, or who'll find the effort required too much to maintain.
But it's fair to say, truly passionate falconers, with the commitment to actually do it, season after season, are a small percentage of those who set out believing they will.

Best of luck,

Tony.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:44 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post

It's impossible to tell who'll retain the passion, or who'll find the effort required too much to maintain.
But it's fair to say, truly passionate falconers, with the commitment to actually do it, season after season, are a small percentage of those who set out believing they will.

Best of luck,

Tony.
Very true Tony, hope you are well. Atb Chris
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Ian Hall
Chick

Been a 'Practising' Falconer for 49yrs. Coming home together after a successful flight. Coming home together!! Being part of a 'near miss', you know is better than any fishing story. Two hours of field craft to take a Mouse with my F. Redtail! The look on the face on some one who loves driven shooting! Who knows , perhaps we need 'Treatment', remember it's older than Gunpowder and enjoy! Ian
Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Derek
Passage

A wild bird trusting you and working with you as your companion and always the buzz when theyre in the air chasing something and when pinning out in the clouds theyre not yours for a while but on return theyre yours again then sitting watching him or her feeding up on their catch or one of their catches at the end of the day ,every morning looking to check on your bird and it looks awesome better day by day
Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post

Best of luck,

Tony.
Well said Tony.

I've found myself returning to the basic and fundamental reasons of why I became interested in falconry as a kid. It has allowed me to rediscover falconry. Perhaps refreshing is a better description.

Flying eyass and passage Goshawks and passage Eagles most of my life, I've been energized by flying a passage female Prairie. A whole different game and skill set. Trapping, manning, training and catching ducks in good style

Don't get me wrong, I dearly love Goshawks and Eagles. However, I don't miss the politics of the American eagle falconry scene today. I helped open up passage eagle trapping in the U.S. That door has been closed. It's just part of history now. I've heard it said that when looking back doesn't interest you anymore, you're doing something right! I could get used to flying passage falcons on ducks!

All my best,

Dan McCarron