Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Passage

Default Re: Microsensory GPS stuff

Thanks Thomas, the more I learn about this stuff the more hesitant I become to buy it. As long as the bird is in the open it'll transmit the data but if sat in a tree it might not and one will have to depend on the bleep so back to the basic telemetry in that case. Also if in a built up area one could lose the data and could have bounce to deal with, is that right? I've seen a few of the Marshall for sale just lately on ebay and have wondered why people are getting rid of them. Is it because of the new updated Marshall gps or is that just a software update? Not a new device just new software?
The text option on the microsensory is what draws me towards that but I'm not confident in the build so do you know of a system with the same features? Do you know anything about the tinyloc gps which is meant to be coming out?

Atb
Tom
Old Today, 06:08 AM
Brancher

Default GPS in General

GPS to the tag is only one way (pun not seen until committed) from the satellite to the tag. Barring heavy overhead canopy or inside a building having the tag know it's location is trivial.

Now comes the hard part, getting the information from the tag to the falconer.

1. Direct Radio Link. DRL moves the data in real time from the tag to a receiver carried by the falconer. This is the same old line of sight radio as moving a beep, except that the signal needs to be about 10 times as strong to reliably move data, which comes out to about 1/3 of the range. All the same problems with short range with a bird on the ground, longer range as the hawk perches or flies higher. If the hawk drops below the ridge line of the hills signal is gone for a beep or a data stream. Main advantage is that the data is real time and can be used for flight management. Short range recoveries can be quicker and more convenient. Reflections of the signal are not a problem because the information is in the data, so which direction the signal comes from is irrelevant.

2. Cell Phone Link. Useless for flight management. Shines in long recovery mode IF both the falconer and the Tag have cell phone coverage.

On Microsensory: I am not worried about the construction style. The empty website makes me worry that they are not committed to this product and you could have an orphan system in the future. If you already have an Android based cell phone and a UHF beep receiver you can try them on fairly cheaply by purchasing a Microsensory "cell phone plus beep" Tag.

DRL Tags I know of: BS Planet, , Marshall, and Martin Systems.
Cell Phone Tags: Bymaps, Ledesma, and Microsensory,

I have a rumor that Ledesma has dropped out. They were not a good falconry choice in any case in my opinion.

I have seen nothing on the TinyLoc website about falconry GPS.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert
Old Today, 06:56 PM
David
Brancher

Default Re: Microsensory GPS stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF7LMZ View Post
Tom,

All I know about the Microsensory prices is in post #1.
A bit thin on information at the website is a bit of an understatement.
I will drop an Email to Xavier and ask for an update.

As far as I know there is no difficulty flipping channels back and forth. Likewise I believe that you can not have two transmitters on screen at once.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert

Latest prices below.

If anyone wants the information Xavier sent me a couple of days ago I can forward on the email, just let me know. OR

Phone Xavier direct, he will talk you through everything you need to know.

For me if you just want to know where your bird is via a text with google map link then go with the basic transmitter.

If you want the bells and whistle setup go with the full setup.

If you want to grow into the system try the RTS Full with the Micro trainer using your phone as the receiver.

A new Transmitter model coming soon....A model with gprs and automatic tracking will be launched in some weeks, transmitter will cost extra 150 euros.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MICROSENSORY.jpg (54.3 KB, 14 views)
Old Today, 09:39 PM
Passage

Default Re: GPS in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF7LMZ View Post
GPS to the tag is only one way (pun not seen until committed) from the satellite to the tag. Barring heavy overhead canopy or inside a building having the tag know it's location is trivial.

Now comes the hard part, getting the information from the tag to the falconer.

1. Direct Radio Link. DRL moves the data in real time from the tag to a receiver carried by the falconer. This is the same old line of sight radio as moving a beep, except that the signal needs to be about 10 times as strong to reliably move data, which comes out to about 1/3 of the range. All the same problems with short range with a bird on the ground, longer range as the hawk perches or flies higher. If the hawk drops below the ridge line of the hills signal is gone for a beep or a data stream. Main advantage is that the data is real time and can be used for flight management. Short range recoveries can be quicker and more convenient. Reflections of the signal are not a problem because the information is in the data, so which direction the signal comes from is irrelevant.

2. Cell Phone Link. Useless for flight management. Shines in long recovery mode IF both the falconer and the Tag have cell phone coverage.

On Microsensory: I am not worried about the construction style. The empty website makes me worry that they are not committed to this product and you could have an orphan system in the future. If you already have an Android based cell phone and a UHF beep receiver you can try them on fairly cheaply by purchasing a Microsensory "cell phone plus beep" Tag.

DRL Tags I know of: BS Planet, , Marshall, and Martin Systems.
Cell Phone Tags: Bymaps, Ledesma, and Microsensory,

I have a rumor that Ledesma has dropped out. They were not a good falconry choice in any case in my opinion.

I have seen nothing on the TinyLoc website about falconry GPS.

Regards,
Thomas of the Desert

Thanks again I do appreciate it.
The problem I have is the bird I want it for circles me but will fly low on some occasions and goes behind trees and comes in from a different direction from where I last saw him. I was hoping to be able to follow him just by watching my phone rather than having to get the receiver out. When I have the receiver out I get signals from all directions so assume it’s bounce cos I don’t think he can get around me that fast but who knows? If I’m surrounded by trees am I going to get a signal if he’s on the other side of them?
I have apple stuff but can get an android if necessary and do already have uhf receiver. When you say cell phone plus beep are you referring to the text message or the data on the cell phone? Yes would be nice if I could try it out and see if the data works but I’d be happy enough with the beep and knowing that if I lose the beep I can send a text and get it’s location. Is that what you mean by the cell plus beep tag?

The guy from tinyloc told me at the Falconry weekend that they were working on it and he was expecting them to be releasing it and that he would have it at the event but it wasn’t ready and they want it to be 100%. The beep he showed me seemed to be a very good piece of kit, not as good build as Marshall but very good technology and I’d be interested if they did bring out gps.

Thanks again
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyAndMonty View Post
Latest prices below.

If anyone wants the information Xavier sent me a couple of days ago I can forward on the email, just let me know. OR

Phone Xavier direct, he will talk you through everything you need to know.

For me if you just want to know where your bird is via a text with google map link then go with the basic transmitter.

If you want the bells and whistle setup go with the full setup.

If you want to grow into the system try the RTS Full with the Micro trainer using your phone as the receiver.

A new Transmitter model coming soon....A model with gprs and automatic tracking will be launched in some weeks, transmitter will cost extra 150 euros.
Thanks David, does the basic transmitter also have the beep? It has probably been mentioned before but I’m getting lost with this gps

What does the gprs do?
Atb
Tom