Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > The Moult & Imping

Old 23-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Egg

Default Need Help! Lanner Chewing Tail

Hi!
I need some help from all the longwingers, and particularly Lanner folks, on here. I have a '16 Lannerette that has taken to chewing his tail feathers. He had about half of his tail imped when I got him in early fall. I flew him for some demo work last year and then put him on a portable block perch for the 2 months or so of the really cold weather. Well, not long ago I started to find pieces of his tail on the floor around his perch. He chewed up/pulled out a number of his imped in feathers and then started working on the rest of them. I've got him outside now and have supplied him with a number of enrichment ifems, but all to no avail. I just found out that he has started on the other feathers (pic attached). Is this controllable/stoppable? What is causing it? We just sprayed him for external parasites, in case that had something to do with it. Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Old 24-02-2017, 04:24 AM
Brancher

Default Re: Need Help! Lanner Chewing Tail

He's bored..... Fly him.....
Old 24-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Egg

Hopefully today, I'm bringing his weight down as I type.
Old 24-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Matt
Brancher

Opinion varies hugely on this topic, but personally I don't credit a longwing with enough intelligence to be bored - it's like a shark being bored. Maybe I would consider Gyrfalcons and New Zealand falcons to be capable of this feeling, but even then, I think that's a stretch. Who knows, maybe they are.

Anyway, I would suggest a visit to the vet and ask to check for something like a skin infection or an infected follicle. Can you take some pictures of the hawk, particularly the base of the tail?
Old 14-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Egg

The same thing happened to me, I was out for like 6 semanas and left her on my mothers care, but she vas afraid to fly her and when I came back found out that she had been pulling out her feathers..
Old 15-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Egg

Hello . Whilst finding a reason for her behaviour is to be reccomended , it may be worth having a go at deterring it directly by making it unpleasant. You could try blending an onion and annointing the remaining feathers thoroughly .
I once did this successfully with a bird who was too keen on attacking her jesses . You will soon see if she finds it distasteful and , if so , refresh it daily for a few days , in the hope that it may break the habit - especially alongside extra activity !
Good luck , David .
Old 15-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Egg

you can use tail guard / protector at least to secure the rest feathers .
some thing like this:
Http://www.themodernapprentice.com/tailguard.htm
Old 15-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Falconer View Post
Hi!
I need some help from all the longwingers, and particularly Lanner folks, on here. I have a '16 Lannerette that has taken to chewing his tail feathers. He had about half of his tail imped when I got him in early fall. I flew him for some demo work last year and then put him on a portable block perch for the 2 months or so of the really cold weather. Well, not long ago I started to find pieces of his tail on the floor around his perch. He chewed up/pulled out a number of his imped in feathers and then started working on the rest of them. I've got him outside now and have supplied him with a number of enrichment ifems, but all to no avail. I just found out that he has started on the other feathers (pic attached). Is this controllable/stoppable? What is causing it? We just sprayed him for external parasites, in case that had something to do with it. Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Hi Jo, I had a female perlin that started this feather chewing in her second season, I attached a tail guard via a tailmount, I kept it on her nearly all the time except flying & bathing, I watched her while drying & preening, and picked her up as her preening got more vigorous to put the tail guard back on. At the end of the season I fattened her up before removing the guard and free lofting her with a male perlin, she never touched her feathers in the moult, but on reclaiming she started again, the weight reduction appeared to kick it off, it was no bother to use the guard, I hunted with her for 4 seasons, never imped her once, I have an imprint female peregrine that has chewed her alula off for the last two seasons, she never touches any other feathers, and flies perfectly ok, she moults out perfectly, and the trigger again is weight reduction. Hope this may give a little insight, all the best Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15369688_825348040941409_1765567324_o.jpg (83.8 KB, 35 views)