Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > General Medical Questions & Discussions

Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Egg

Default Does bleach kill lice/mites?

I mop down the floor area every two days with a water and bleach solution. I disinfect the perch with a water and baking soda solution, and the same goes for the bath pan. Will all these chemicals be able to kill lice and/or mites that may be lurking around these spots? I've given my kite a wash to remove the bugs from her, but am worried that the pests that aren't killed by the wash would migrate elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Default Re: Does bleach kill lice/mites?

Being parasitic wouldn't lice and mites live on the bird and not the equipment? Can you get an anti mite powder there? Johnsons anti mite powder is good stuff. As for cleaning I find a solution of F10 veterinary disinfectant more than enough in day to day cleaning. Be careful with bleach especially if you ever clean an area where the bird feeds.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Passage

Like as already been said by Ash, be very careful with bleach, in fact I would go as far as to say do not use bleach anywhere near the birds or anything that is going to come into contact with them. F10 disinfectant is very good and all you need, and for the bird itself, again as Ash said Johnsons anti mite spray is very good. Atb. John
Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 AM
Egg

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately Johnson's isn't available here. The bleach solution is used to disinfect the ground on which the perch rests upon. It's also to kill any residual bacteria after cleaning up after bird.

As mentions, these parasites live on the host, but do they fall off, jump off, or get flicked off when the bird ruffles its feathers? I'm just trying to envision the extent to which they could spread in an area, that way I could clean the space as needed.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Passage

Bleach will kill them if they're not dead already from being off their host. Mites may survive a bit longer, but feather lice can only survive around 20 minutes away from their host. Also, they are harmless - they just chew feathers. If lice are breeding so prolifically that they are causing a problem, your bird probably has an illness or stress and should be checked out by a vet. I think they are good to keep on the bird in small numbers, as they are an excellent indicator of health. I always used to spray for them until a couple of years ago, when I was teaching someone to train a wild falcon. He was sitting manning her when he noticed lice crawling all over her. Of course, it could just be stress, but it turned out she had an infection that had not yet manifested any symptoms other than lice.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Passage

Didn't ever think I would hear someone say it is good to have mites on your bird, and sorry to say I disagree, so for me I will keep spraying my birds and do my best to keep them at bay. John
Old 13-11-2015, 02:25 AM
Egg

Hello Moderators. Curious as to why this thread was moved to the non-English speaking thread
Old 13-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Didn't ever think I would hear someone say it is good to have mites on your bird, and sorry to say I disagree, so for me I will keep spraying my birds and do my best to keep them at bay. John
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer - it is lice that are harmless, and good indicators of underlying stress or illness. Mites can be very bad for a bird and cause serious illness. Lice only chew feathers, but mites chew the actual bird!
Old 13-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleBasher View Post
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer - it is lice that are harmless, and good indicators of underlying stress or illness. Mites can be very bad for a bird and cause serious illness. Lice only chew feathers, but mites chew the actual bird!
Do you think that mites can also be a sign of underlying stress or illness?
Old 14-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Heath View Post
Do you think that mites can also be a sign of underlying stress or illness?
Absolutely. But they can also be the cause! Feather-chewing mites are harmless, but there are many kinds of harmful mite.