Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Breeding Birds of Prey

Old 30-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

Default Re: Breeding kestrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
That's very witty, Trev.

Here's a famous poem, for James...so he knows the Kestrel has not been overlooked by poets.
Hi Rene

Lol My comment was rather ambiguous but if nothing else I knew I could count on you to pick up on the humour. Thank you for the lovely poems just a small window into the fact that Kestrels have not been overlooked by others including our very own David Rampling who has captured some lovely images of Kestrels on canvas.

I'm currently overseas so am battling sending emails, if perchance you still in touch with Jan please thank her for her Christmas wishes and send her my fondest regards. I'll get an email off to her sometime.

Take care and wishing you and family all of the very best for 2015.
Trev xxx
Old 30-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Andy
Haggard

Sounds good to me lol I just make sure they get enough food at this time of yr once a day at start of breeding season I feed 4 times daily kicks them off and makes male do some passing.
Old 30-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHawks View Post
Sounds good to me lol I just make sure they get enough food at this time of yr once a day at start of breeding season I feed 4 times daily kicks them off and makes male do some passing.
Is that aimed at my quote Andy. Does it look like they are heading in the right direction, I like the idea of feeding more often, thanks
Old 30-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Andy
Haggard

It's to it all lol. I ant worked out to quote on phone yet. Yeah someone told me yrs ago to do it with breeding birds so always do it and found it good. Kessies to me are nice to look at breeding and flying 1 is a bonus. I've always wanted and not yet had or bred a female with the black drops on head like on kes. If you know what I mean.
Old 30-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Melvyn Thorpe
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHawks View Post
When you feed four times a day how much food do you put in as all birds are different.
Old 30-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelThor View Post
When you feed four times a day how much food do you put in as all birds are different.
Keep it varied, a rabbit in the morning followed by a pheasant, a partridge for tea and a doc for supper as you don't want to overdo it.
Old 30-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Johnny Brine
Passage

A Rabbit?
Old 31-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Andy
Haggard

Lol 1 hare into 4. Lol I usually give them 6 chicks a day 1 day, the next day 4 as some are left over. Split them into 4 simples. I also feed a lot of mice at the start and when they have young. I save the quail for when they branching or for the adults through winter. Hard work for the parents to feed quail to young.and its a dry meat
Old 31-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Johnny Brine
Passage

I agree with you about feeding Quail to chicks, the parents could easily fill the chicks up with nothing more than Quail breast, it wouldn't take a lot & just breast meat is not enough.
If I feed my Kestrels only 4 chicks a day for a couple of days, they will start to hide food about the aviary, sometimes leaving food on the food tray.
I like to see them come to the food tray as I'm walking away, if they leave it for a while they're not hungry, if they are there trying to grab it, they are hungry.

This time of year I give them all their rations at once. Towards the breeding season I start giving it several times a day as I understand it will encourage food passing, i.e. if they only have the one piece of food the Male can either eat it or pass it to the Female. She will call for it most times.
Whether there is need to to do this for a proven pair, I'm unsure? But I will still do it anyway
Old 01-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

When would you expect to see food passing begin between a new pairing