Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 20-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Passage

Default Harris hawks breeding in the wild

An old article but interesting. Apologies if it has been posted before.
Http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...ure-mapped-out
Old 20-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Default Re: Harris hawks breeding in the wild

Hi Donna

I think you might find this report ties in nice with the 2008 pair reported breeding

More pics

Last pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (109.4 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (105.9 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg p3.jpg (92.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg p4.jpg (91.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg p5.jpg (72.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg p6.jpg (81.0 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg p7.jpg (88.2 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg p8.jpg (77.1 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg p9.jpg (95.2 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg p10.jpg (90.8 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg p11.jpg (91.7 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg p12.jpg (88.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg p13.jpg (92.0 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg p14.jpg (89.4 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg p15.jpg (89.7 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg p16.jpg (91.5 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg img050.jpg (76.1 KB, 310 views)
Old 20-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Passage

Very interesting wonder what happened to the male did they catch him.
Old 20-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Donna

As far as I am aware the male was never caught ....he must be the one that flew south and bred with the Buzzard

ATB

Clive
Old 20-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Passage

Lol he must have been kept bust with all the escapees. Did he document the outcome with the female or did he just get a free bird. With the amount lost there must be loads more breeding in the wild
Old 20-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Donna

As far as I am aware this is the only documented breeding pair of Harris hawks and you would think in 8 years that there would have been more reported.

When you look on the IBR website there are so many and these are just the ones reported.

It’s actually a topic of conversation I have frequently had, I thought the Harris would get a foothold in the UK and be very common one day but as time goes on I am not convinced I am right with the counter argument that Harris Hawks are not built to survive a harsh UK winter.

As falconers we would all like to think that with the time spent training and hunting with our super fit Harris Hawks that they would make a very good living for themselves in the wild.

In reality very few ever reach their potential and they revert to been scavengers living on carrion and small mammals and never required to take on a hard flight on a rabbit.

How many times has your Harris hawk got wet in the field so much so that you have to dry it before putting it away, in a harsh winter that Harris in the same condition would not last very long at all.

I know many reading this that fly their Harris very hard and take over 100 head a season may scoff but I have one question which I struggle to answer.

The Harris Hawks of the southern United States and South America are not restricted in there movements by natural or unnatural obstacles and we are all aware that the Harris Hawk is one of the most adaptable, why are they restricted with the areas that they populate and not right across the USA and beyond?

ATB
Clive
Old 20-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Midge
Passage

Stephen is a good friend of mine, and is still doing great job with all spieces of birds, his passion and love for all birds is over whelming, his work involves all kinds of stuff I love going round for a brew the pics and tales he shares with me are excellent, he works for natural England I thk that's what's it called lol from the ringing of merlins to turtle doves and all kinds of rare species I take my hat off to him he's quite a remarkable chap, and Iam privellaged to know him.

Atb
Old 21-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeHawk View Post
Donna

As far as I am aware this is the only documented breeding pair of Harris hawks and you would think in 8 years that there would have been more reported.

When you look on the IBR website there are so many and these are just the ones reported.

It’s actually a topic of conversation I have frequently had, I thought the Harris would get a foothold in the UK and be very common one day but as time goes on I am not convinced I am right with the counter argument that Harris Hawks are not built to survive a harsh UK winter.

As falconers we would all like to think that with the time spent training and hunting with our super fit Harris Hawks that they would make a very good living for themselves in the wild.

In reality very few ever reach their potential and they revert to been scavengers living on carrion and small mammals and never required to take on a hard flight on a rabbit.

How many times has your Harris hawk got wet in the field so much so that you have to dry it before putting it away, in a harsh winter that Harris in the same condition would not last very long at all.

I know many reading this that fly their Harris very hard and take over 100 head a season may scoff but I have one question which I struggle to answer.

The Harris Hawks of the southern United States and South America are not restricted in there movements by natural or unnatural obstacles and we are all aware that the Harris Hawk is one of the most adaptable, why are they restricted with the areas that they populate and not right across the USA and beyond?

ATB
Clive
Very interesting, I take the dogs to croxteth park most days and there is a harris hawk flying free no anklets on it, a few times when I see it, there Is a buzzard, sitting not to far away from it, the thought crossed my mind, weather it could be trying to pair up with it
Old 21-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Roy - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Harris and Buzzard do cross breed. All feral Harris hawks need to be controlled.
Old 21-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavelli View Post
Stephen is a good friend of mine, and is still doing great job with all spieces of birds, his passion and love for all birds is over whelming, his work involves all kinds of stuff I love going round for a brew the pics and tales he shares with me are excellent, he works for natural England I thk that's what's it called lol from the ringing of merlins to turtle doves and all kinds of rare species I take my hat off to him he's quite a remarkable chap, and Iam privellaged to know him.

Atb
Hi James

I know we have spoken about Stephen before, and the way he has documented this with so much detail is brilliant, without this sort of information its all here say and myths about feral Harris Hawks.

ATB
Clive