Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Breeding Birds of Prey

Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Unconfirmed Member
Egg

Default Breeding European eagle owl

Hi ive been given a female EEO at 4 year old that I'd like to introduce to my male , can anyone please offer some advice on this matter . As I don't want to end up with my male being damage or worse killed by the female . I know very little regards the female as it's coming from a rescue centre but my male is at flying waight of 3lb.13 and out flying free every day .
And will introducing a mate stop me from flying him.
Regards Elbo
Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Matt
Brancher

Default Re: Breeding European eagle owl

I think you're a little bit lost.

Firstly, your male is an (human) imprint, and although it's not unheard of, he's very unlikely to see the other owl as wife material.

Secondly, why would you choose to breed from an individual that you know nothing about? That's like picking any old horse or dog. Falconers and bird of prey keepers as a whole are so far behind the times.

Finally, you may struggle even to give away, let alone sell, any young produced. On a good day they live 40 years and spend their whole lives being passed around until they are hopefully lucky enough to be given to someone that can keep them in a clean aviary where they can live out that long life.

Matt
Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty18714 View Post
I think you're a little bit lost.

Firstly, your male is an (human) imprint, and although it's not unheard of, he's very unlikely to see the other owl as wife material.

Secondly, why would you choose to breed from an individual that you know nothing about? That's like picking any old horse or dog. Falconers and bird of prey keepers as a whole are so far behind the times.

Finally, you may struggle even to give away, let alone sell, any young produced. On a good day they live 40 years and spend their whole lives being passed around until they are hopefully lucky enough to be given to someone that can keep them in a clean aviary where they can live out that long life.

Matt

I so completely agree with this post.

I don't know how rescue centres operate when it comes to birds of prey. Do they not require you to agree not to breed from whatever bird they give you, maybe a contract that you must sign or something? If they don't, then they should.

Elbo, I've just checked out your posts which were previous merged with a member called Ellis Fewster. So I've got a bit confused (which isn't hard)..are you the same person?

This is the thread I'm looking at...http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139503
Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Matt
Brancher

Hi Rene,

My experience of bird of prey rescue places is that it's simply a case of out of the frying pan. I'm not daft enough to think they are all like this, but the ones I've seen are run by those I describe as "owl cuddlers" with all the associated problems.

The harsh truth is that owls are the donkeys of the horse world. I'm not saying that they aren't good looking, amazing, the peak of evolution and all round interesting things. What I'm saying is that they are nice characters, cute (apparently), a bit quirky and there is some degree of novelty about owning one.

Like a donkey, they aren't particularly functional, and like a donkey, people get bored of them when the novelty wears off. As a result they get condemned to the end of the garden, forgotten about and left to rot.

If anyone disagrees with the above they are welcome to 2 Eurasian eagle owls that I got lumped with a year ago. I think they are both male, no paperwork, no idea if they are imprints, and so on. They sit in a pen together, eat and sleep. It's a bloody tragedy.

Matt
Old 07-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
I so completely agree with this post.

I don't know how rescue centres operate when it comes to birds of prey. Do they not require you to agree not to breed from whatever bird they give you, maybe a contract that you must sign or something? If they don't, then they should.

Elbo, I've just checked out your posts which were previous merged with a member called Ellis Fewster. So I've got a bit confused (which isn't hard)..are you the same person?

This is the thread I'm looking at...http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139503
It is the same person. Several accounts in different names were opened, and I merged them.