Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > General Breeding & Conservation

Old 31-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Haggard

Default Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons and putting that big plastic breast plate on the female.

Https://www.facebook.com/andy.richar...6313864242627/
Old 31-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

I have to admit, I did think it looked a bit invasive, especially for a breeding Female. They probably should have done it before she laid rather than interfering whilst she was trying to incubate. Hopefully it doesn't affect them too much.

Regards,

Bradley
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Brancher

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour !

Derek do you feel that plastic plate would hamper incubation of the eggs,
It certainly looks as though it might ?

ATB
John155
Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Passage

Let alone the tag, to disturb a female Perigrine off her nest for over an hour must surely chill the eggs, as has been said many times before animals need protecting from animal protectionists. Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John155 View Post

ATB
John155
THE CHEST MAY VERY WELL CAUSE PROBLEMS.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John155 View Post

ATB
John155
I believe the guy who put the post up on Facebook that Derek has linked said that the positioning of the plate may mean that not as much heat is transferred from the incubating Female. This makes logical sense as it's another surface that heat has to get through thereby reducing heat transfer to the eggs. This may potentially be why only one egg has hatched in the nest. This was confirmed yesterday by the presenters, they have taken away the remaining un-hatched eggs as they may be a "potential hygiene risk". One of the presenter's said that the other eggs could have "possibly been infertile". It certainly begs the question, could if have been their actions that caused the other eggs not to hatch? I have learnt recently not to trust everything well-known people or organisations, such as Springwatch are saying to be correct. Either way, I hope the remaining chick is raised well and fledges successfully.

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 01-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned
Passage

Is there a proper video of the track pack being fitted? Did the plastic plate stay on the front of the bird once it was fitted? I know it might have been covered by feathers but could not see anything last night. Could it not of been spun around and the tracker fitted to the plastic or could it be where they stitch and glue it and the plate is used in the same way as the card when protecting feathers when fitting a Marshall track pack and removed once completed. That is different to the usual trackers so maybe fitted differently. I just can't believe that they would not have questioned whether a big piece of plastic would interfere with brooding and then still left it on.
Also any idea of dates as to when it was fitted and date of first and last egg laid and hatch date? I could be wrong but sure he said laid over 14 days so could they have been a bit hasty in removing the eggs? I know they were showing the parent birds off the nest for long periods but that could be editing to cover themselves. No doubt the results will come back as infertile
Old 01-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Is there a proper video of the track pack being fitted? Did the plastic plate stay on the front of the bird once it was fitted? I know it might have been covered by feathers but could not see anything last night. Could it not of been spun around and the tracker fitted to the plastic or could it be where they stitch and glue it and the plate is used in the same way as the card when protecting feathers when fitting a Marshall track pack and removed once completed. That is different to the usual trackers so maybe fitted differently. I just can't believe that they would not have questioned whether a big piece of plastic would interfere with brooding and then still left it on.
Also any idea of dates as to when it was fitted and date of first and last egg laid and hatch date? I could be wrong but sure he said laid over 14 days so could they have been a bit hasty in removing the eggs? I know they were showing the parent birds off the nest for long periods but that could be editing to cover themselves. No doubt the results will come back as infertile
I believe Chris Packham said the eggs had been laid over a period of 15 days Tom. It'll be interesting to see what the test results come back as.

Regards,

Bradley
Old 01-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
I believe Chris Packham said the eggs had been laid over a period of 15 days Tom. It'll be interesting to see what the test results come back as.

Regards,

Bradley
Especially if some stopped at the same time.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
My guess is that the plastic plate was only used for the fitting of the harness. I read somewhere that they used hemp thread to secure it, with the idea that this would rot in time and the harness would fall off. The only way this would happen cleanly, and not just on one side, is if the four ends of the tape were secured by a single bit of thread at what would be the 'crossover point' on a normal falconry harness. In the video the straps in the plastic would be too short to feed through to the back of the bird. The white plastic could have been used to get all straps in place and then would have provided protection from a needle while they were stitched. Then it could have been cut off. That would not be a bad method as long as the correct tightness/looseness can be achieved.

But the timing of the trapping and the length of time she was off the eggs is just appalling and unforgivable. It may well have caused the failure of some or all of the other four eggs. The reason given tor the fitting of the tracker was so that the hunting habits of the falcon feeding the young could be studied. With four or five chicks to feed the pair would indeed be busy, but with just the single chick the tiercel can probably feed everybody. I suppose data will be acquired about the habits of a female peregrine when she has only one chick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (52.5 KB, 263 views)