Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > General Breeding & Conservation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:18 PM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Thanks Paul that makes sense and seeing it clearly there it's obvious it would have been a massive problem for a bird trying to incubate.
The dates of the eggs might have given an idea of what has caused the eggs to fail. For instance was there a big gap between the egg laid before the fitting and the one after? Could it possibly be two clutches in the same nest?
Regards
Tom

Off topic but looks like a dead chick on Aston kestrels

On now

Looks like she's killing them. Two dead I think

One is alive but could be three dead. She is killing them. Maybe a different bird. Any ideas why?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 PM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Think only the bottom right is still alive
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 PM
PaulUsHilarius PaulUsHilarius is online now
Paul MacDermot
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: wiltshire
Posts: 708
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Thanks Paul that makes sense and seeing it clearly there it's obvious it would have been a massive problem for a bird trying to incubate.
The dates of the eggs might have given an idea of what has caused the eggs to fail. For instance was there a big gap between the egg laid before the fitting and the one after? Could it possibly be two clutches in the same nest?
Regards
Tom
After trawling through facebook etc.
This is the timeline:

First egg 31 March
Second egg 2 April.
Five eggs by 15 April
Falcon trapped, rung and tagged 12 May
Chick hatched 19 May
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 PM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
After trawling through facebook etc.
This is the timeline:

First egg 31 March
Second egg 2 April.
Five eggs by 15 April
Falcon trapped, rung and tagged 12 May
Chick hatched 19 May
Thanks for that. If started incubation from first egg then some should of already hatched by the time they tagged her. If started later then should an hour be long enough to cause them to die, I don't remember it being particularly cold at any point over the past few weeks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 PM
PaulUsHilarius PaulUsHilarius is online now
Paul MacDermot
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: wiltshire
Posts: 708
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Thanks for that. If started incubation from first egg then some should of already hatched by the time they tagged her. If started later then should an hour be long enough to cause them to die, I don't remember it being particularly cold at any point over the past few weeks
They don't start incubating from the first egg, but when clutch is just about complete.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 AM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
They don't start incubating from the first egg, but when clutch is just about complete.
What I mean is in theory if it had started to incubate from the first egg then some would have already hatched by the tagging date. If not started to incubate until the last egg was laid then the first eggs might of already perished? Can they last 14 days? Then if started incubating somewhere in the middle then the embryos would be close to hatching or be developed enough to cope with the hour the parent was off the nest? I think they would of discussed it and agreed that, that was the best time to do it. Assuming they do know that they don't incubate until the clutch is near complete they would expect the chicks to be close to hatching and more tolerant to the interruption.
Im struggling to explain this The last egg incubated immediately would be about a week away from hatching and the others the same if she waited until the last egg or closer to hatching or possibly already hatched depending on what egg she started incubating....if you get me
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Matty Bird's Avatar
Matty Bird Matty Bird is offline
Matthew
Passage
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St.Helens, wish it was Scotland though!
Posts: 2,333
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Sorry Derek I've just done a thread about this before seeing yours. It made my blood boil! I couldn't believe what they were doing! If that was you or me even within 20 ft of a peregrine nest we would be put straight in jail.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Derek Canning's Avatar
Derek Canning Derek Canning is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 6,725
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
Sorry Derek I've just done a thread about this before seeing yours. It made my blood boil! I couldn't believe what they were doing! If that was you or me even within 20 ft of a peregrine nest we would be put straight in jail.
It does bring in to question how they trapped the falcons and Disturbance under the WCA 1981.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Derek
Passage
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: up north
Posts: 3,976
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Glad its been mentioned cos when i saw the programme i said to our lass i cant belive theyve done that to both birds whilst on eggs?and i bet they took a long time to go back and sit[sometimes our own captivebred ones take an hour or so wild ones i belive much longer? also its strange how late theyre nesting compared to most ?they laid last year so not first timers[makes you wonder if disturbed previously and this is the 2nd attempt? just my view atb salty
__________________
listen always youre never to old to learn ,:yawinkle:
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19-06-2017, 09:33 PM
T0M T0M is offline
Banned
Passage
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: North west
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Did they ever say what the reason for the eggs not hatching was?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
breeding, falcons, pair, peregrine, trapping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.