Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default Re: The Making of a High-Flying Duckhawk

Hi Folks - I have decided I needed to finish Milli's story off properly. Following my last report of a flight on New year's Day where she killed her 4th mallard in a month and the following day at a CHC Field Meeting where she was unlucky when the duck she knocked down was too close to water her season's tally stood at four ducks and seven crows! I felt that we needed to kill a few more ducks in order to turn her head away from the black stuff but unfortunately I made an error I will never make again and that became a turning-point for the season. After taking a 318ft pitch for a pair of mallards the ducks suckered her into stooping at them over water then the drake pulled a nifty move at the bottom of her stoop and beat her to the next pond. She remounted to 250ft and waited-on beautifully but the drake just wouldn't leave its refuge and began diving! I had neglected to bring a carcass so just threw down the lure after 15 minutes which she wanted nothing to do with when there was clearly visible quarry below. Eventually her patience ran out and she did one! After killing several more crows I had a chance to redeem myself when she missed a crow on a CHC meet in snowy weather the following week and returned at 464ft only for my trousers to become snagged on a barbed wire fence so I was too slow to flush the pair of mallards on a tiny pond! She ended up on another crow and had racked up 11 crows in total by the season's end! On a happier note I saw her again today for the first time in over a year...

Gerry x

Www.staffordshiregamehawks.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1876.jpg (96.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1874.jpg (97.3 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by SugezWolf; 12-04-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Passage

I hope you have had fun with even though she hasn't killed the quarry you wanted. Look forward to hearing how you get on next season.
Donna
Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
I hope you have had fun with even though she hasn't killed the quarry you wanted. Look forward to hearing how you get on next season.
Donna
Hi Donna and thanks. The season before last was a real tough one weather-wise and making a first season gamehawk is hard enough in perfect conditions! Considering this she did really well and if it wasn't for my errors she would have been pretty damn good I think.

Gerry x
Old 11-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Banned
Passage

Nice read gerry.
Hope you are well.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote: