Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 21-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
I have brought him up in weight since we stopped hunting, so today it was time for the big clean up and to convert his mews so he can be freelofted for the moult.
Final check over and some time out in the sun, he's looking well with a foot tucked up and extensive preening.
Sounds perfect Mick, all the signs of a relaxed bird ready for the moult. What converting do you have to do to his mews to make it ready for him to free loft during the moult?

Bradley
Old 21-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Sounds perfect Mick, all the signs of a relaxed bird ready for the moult. What converting do you have to do to his mews to make it ready for him to free loft during the moult?

Bradley
Hi,
During the season I have Archie tethered, so there is only that perching position, I also have inside his mews a small enclosure which I can put him into if the weather turns particularly bad, this keeps him up out of the frost zone and protected from the elements, I can also provide heating if necessary. So at moult time when he is freelofted I remove all of this and install various perching positions, I also have a removable section from the roof which allows in both rain and sun and he has the option of sit in either, both or neither depending on how he feels. I also set up the food shoot and ledge so that he can be fed without entering.
Old 22-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Archie finally started his moult today, I was beginning to get a little concerned that nothing was happening. He started to shed small feathers about a week ago which is completely different to previous moults as every other year he has always started by very quickly dropping a deck feather.
When I checked on him this afternoon I spotted that he had dropped both decks, have to see what happens now?

Old 23-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Glad that he has started, he may drop feathers faster to make up for the lost time? It probably has something to do with the weather as it hasn't been consistently warm or cold until now really. I hope that everything else goes well, I love the colour of Red-Tail deck tail feathers!

Happy Moulting,

Bradley
Old 24-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Haggard

Mine are well on their way although she uses them to line her nest site,brad temperature has no influence on the moult
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Well his moult seems to be really picking up now, I have not been in to have a clean up yet but can see 4 tail feathers on the floor and several secondaries and primaries. That recent sunshine must have made the difference.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Today we said goodbye to Dot, she's the one at the front. She was only 2 years old, i found her curled up as if she was asleep. Cannot see anything wrong with her, when i fed them yesterday she ate well and was her usual busy self.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Passage

Very sad she was very young.
Old 15-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Mick Bourne
Passage

During today's clean up I managed to recover the tail feather that caused last years panic. When I reclaimed Archie last year from the moult I spotted a problem with one of his tail feathers in that the vanes on one side of the quill were only a 1/4 or 1/3 there normal length. I have still not found out what was wrong?

Old 15-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Passage

Are the new feathers ok?